997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Clunking Noise Steering Hard L/R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:15 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Clunking Noise Steering Hard L/R

I just noticed this tonight - probably because of my first experience in 27F weather in the car; when I was backing out of the parking lot, turning the wheels full left or right and backing up, I heard a clunking sound like something was catching up front. I reckon it was some cold power steering thing. Is this common?

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
It was likely the front tires scrubbing. They are so wide, that when they are cold and/or worn, they have to scrub when turning sharp. When warmer and/or when you have more tread, the rubber flexes enough to avoid this. There is nothing wrong if this is the cause.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
like ken said, the car has loads of caster to make a better camber curve. (darn struts!) The tires ride on the edges when they turn to extreme angles. When the tires are cold, they skip instead of flex. Perfectly normal!

Old 12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
I am having the same noise backing out of my garage in the past few nights. Temperature dipped to 25 degrees last night. No noises in warmer weather.

I guess it's alright then.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:59 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TooSixy
I am having the same noise backing out of my garage in the past few nights. Temperature dipped to 25 degrees last night. No noises in warmer weather.

I guess it's alright then.
For some reason, this phenomenon shows up the most when backing and turning out of driveways. Must be the combo of slow speed, sharp turn, and perhaps less weight on front tires. Plus, they are still cold from being parked overnight.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I have the same problem with mine but only in the cold weather. I asked the local dealership and they confirmed this is normal - as John M said, the tires skip over the pavement instead of flex when they are cold and turned moderately. I recently went from worn tires to new tires and still have the symptom so I don't think treadwear has anything to do with it.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks guys. This is wicked winter so far for GA - 2nd winter for this car, but last year was relatively warm.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 AM
RyanJ is on a distinguished road
I get a clunk (quite often) when it is below freezing. Seems to be worse when cold and humid. It happens when the brake pads stick to the rotor and tires stick to the ground. The "clunk" is quite normal in cold environments.

Last edited by RyanJ; 12-17-2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: rotor
Old 12-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by RyanJ
I get a clunk (quite often) when it is below freezing. Seems to be worse when cold and humid. It happens when the brake pads stick to the rotor and tires stick to the ground. The "clunk" is quite normal in cold environments.

This is after the car is already moving a bit, so I don't think it is brakes unless they a regrabbing and not likely tires sticking to the ground either. Very dry and 25F (and flat - no hill assist) when it happened - twice - at two different parking lots.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
+1... We had a cold morning the day after I brought my used 2007 home, and I was convinced something was seriously wrong! But this forum straightened me out after a click on the search button. The crackling exhaust after a cold start was my second search, and now it's one of my favorite things about the car!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by rye595
The crackling exhaust after a cold start was my second search, and now it's one of my favorite things about the car!
Yikes - haven't had that yet - don't want to. I need to move to Key West or something - at least for a few months.