Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 997
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

997 Current model of the 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Discussion.
Sponsored By HRE Wheels

2005 Porsche Carrera Engine Failure

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 PM

rawdocraw is a jewel in the roughrawdocraw is a jewel in the roughrawdocraw is a jewel in the rough
2005 Porsche Carrera Engine Failure

I just replaced the engine in my 2005 Porsche 911 due to the failure of the INTERMEDIATE SHAFT.

I would like to know just how widespread the problem is with 911's and other Porsche models too.

I am considering filing a lawsuit against Porsche to recover the costs associated with replacing the engine.

If you have had an INTERMEDIATE SHAFT failure and have an interest in joining in my lawsuit or simply sharing your experience please contact me.

s/ Robert Winters: westsidetravelmedicine@gmail.com
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 PM

axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
Interesting first post.

Can you share more details of your story? Did you try an effort to contacting the dealers or PCNA prior to replacing the engine at your cost (I assume from your post) and what did they say?

Regards,
Old 01-31-2011, 01:58 AM
Banned

eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Hasn't the service provided you with information about extended warranty? If I'm not mistaken, once the warranty is gone, you could extend it for another full year etc. Not to be a downer, but assuming the car has no warranty since its an '05, even if you filed a claim to Porsche, they would surely claim a drivers fault for engine failure. Or they would want to inspect the car and check where exactly the problem occured and when etc. But good luck with everything! Seriously!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 AM

djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatbreathdrive View Post
Hasn't the service provided you with information about extended warranty? If I'm not mistaken, once the warranty is gone, you could extend it for another full year etc. Not to be a downer, but assuming the car has no warranty since its an '05, even if you filed a claim to Porsche, they would surely claim a drivers fault for engine failure. Or they would want to inspect the car and check where exactly the problem occured and when etc. But good luck with everything! Seriously!
porsche does not offer extended warranty. CPO process requires the car to be purchased by dealer and then resold to get the CPO warranty.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:38 AM

djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdocraw View Post
I just replaced the engine in my 2005 Porsche 911 due to the failure of the INTERMEDIATE SHAFT.

I would like to know just how widespread the problem is with 911's and other Porsche models too.

I am considering filing a lawsuit against Porsche to recover the costs associated with replacing the engine.

If you have had an INTERMEDIATE SHAFT failure and have an interest in joining in my lawsuit or simply sharing your experience please contact me.

s/ Robert Winters: westsidetravelmedicine@gmail.com
have u talked to a lawyer? are there other channels such as consumer protection? by law, i am not sure if protect failure after warranty would be covered, unless it's a safety concern. ims failure is less common compared to rms but still plagued some 997 mk1.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 AM
Banned

eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Good luck with the lawsuit! I hope everything will be sorted out in good manners. I mean it!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 AM

chance6 is a name known to allchance6 is a name known to allchance6 is a name known to allchance6 is a name known to allchance6 is a name known to allchance6 is a name known to all
Hmmm, questions...how many miles on the engine and how often did you drive it? How many miles per year ? And did you let it warm up properly before heavier engine loading ?
2008 Boxster RS60 Spyder, black top
2004 Cayenne S blk/blk, turbo-look interior, my first Porsche
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM

Zookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond reputeZookie has a reputation beyond repute
its a common problem since 1999... More Often and More the car is driven less likely they Fail... this topic has been covered thousands of times
Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 AM

JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
porsche should just do a recall and place a revised set of parts, rather than watch one fail at a time.
Sheesh, even BMW called my M3 in to replace the main bearings "just in case" and then extended the warranty to 100K miles on "any part that is lubricated with engine oil".
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 AM

Sharkys will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear that. But, for every first posts like this, there are hundreds more 2005 owners that are driving perfectly fine everyday. Please provide more details on your service history. This is a known issues however.

I have a 2005. If the engine goes, it goes.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookie View Post
its a common problem since 1999... More Often and More the car is driven less likely they Fail... this topic has been covered thousands of times
I have heard this a number of times but I have not yet seen any concrete scientific or meaningful statistical data behind the claim to drive it more often to prevent failure.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM

JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkys View Post
Sorry to hear that. But, for every first posts like this, there are hundreds more 2005 owners that are driving perfectly fine everyday. Please provide more details on your service history. This is a known issues however.

I have a 2005. If the engine goes, it goes.
shark, just a quick advice, I was going to buy a friends C4S a few years back and it had an engine with the IMS design. I asked him to send an oil sample to blackstone, and they said that something was failing. He took it to protech in NJ and they found that the IMS was ready to fail. He got a stronger one put in for a few grand. It was the first time that the oil analysis ever prevented some catastrophe that I ever heard of! I was glad that I did not buy the car before he found out and got the fix.
So, give blackstone a try. It is no guarantee, but it worked for my friend and saved him a stack of cash.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM

Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
Lawsuit? Good luck with that.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:57 AM

J.Seven is on a distinguished road
Unbelieveble, ever since 1999 Ive been hearing these sad stories and the worst part, is that it will continue to happend.
Porsche should assume their own error building these problamatic engines, and provide the parts needed for repair, even if it means a rebuild engine.

We had a Dyno day in September last year and there were three 996 there. We had also a 964, 997.2 S, 997.1 S, Boxster among others. One 996 blew the engine while making the Dyno, just in front of a bunch of 8 Porsche owners that were there. The 996 owner was devasted, and remaining crowd was shocked.

The problem with M96 engine is not internet hype, its for real, and the rate failure must be much higher than we think.
I wish you good luck.

J.Seven
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 AM

jjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond reputejjc4scab has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Lawsuit? Good luck with that.
j,
my thoughts exactly!

jim
2008 535XI(SOLD) 1967 SS/RS
1997 C2 CAB (SOLD), 1967 NOVA(SOLD),1996 TT(SOLD)
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 AM

Tags
05, 2005, 996, 9972, carrera, code, design, details, engine, hre, kw, lawsuit, location, porsche, replace, v3