997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How to remove license plate lights on 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
chiffonade is on a distinguished road
How to remove license plate lights on 997?

Hi all -

Have searched the tech and 997 forums extensively - I just purchased Hoen USA license plate lights and can't figure out how to remove the OEM license plate lights. There seems to be a tab but I don't want to damage anything.

Hoen's site has no info, car manual has no info, can't find anything on 6SO or Rennlist. Lots of people say they like their lights but nobody has described how to remove OEM.

Help

Thanks,

chiffonade

Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
If same as on my 997.1, which it should be, just remove the philips head screws and then use a flat head screwdriver to pop/pry the lens out. There's no clip portion per se (on the front lens), just how the lens/bulb assembly connects in w/ housing.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Disclaimer - I never removed the lens on my 997.2 - only put it back into place. Even that required a lot more force than I expected.
There is at least one clip on the 'short' side of the lens, closest to the centerline of the car. It's possible that there are clips on both short sides. My lens could have been damaged.
Best guess - use a thin slightly curved blade, about 1/2" wide, to engage the tab. Then pull that side of the lens. 'Swing' that corner down and out toward the side of the car.
Good luck.

Last edited by TomE; 02-09-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM
bob/ft.worth is on a distinguished road
if no one has the answer here, you can try posting over on RennTech.org.

I had to re-install a replacement about 2 months ago, and as stated it took considerable effort twisting and pushing at the right angle to get the new one in b ecause of the wire/connector. Easy to chip the paint. There has to be a trick to it...

Old 02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
From what I remember when replacing my bumper is that there is a tab at one end and a small plastic clip at the other. You slip a flat screwdriver with a microfiber towel covering it (or something of the like) in between the bumper plastic and the light housing and gently pry out the housing. I just don't remember which side the clip is on a which side the tab is on. I think the clip is on the same side as the screw. I don't believe you need to remove the screw to remove the housing.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:11 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chiffonade
Hi all -

Have searched the tech and 997 forums extensively - I just purchased Hoen USA license plate lights and can't figure out how to remove the OEM license plate lights. There seems to be a tab but I don't want to damage anything.

Hoen's site has no info, car manual has no info, can't find anything on 6SO or Rennlist. Lots of people say they like their lights but nobody has described how to remove OEM.

Help

Thanks,

chiffonade
Did you get new housings with the HOEN bulbs or just the bulbs themselves?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Now that mod sounds appealing

Originally Posted by chiffonade
Let us know how it looks afterward. Or better yet, take before and after pictures around sunset with your other lights on. I like the look on the Hoen website, but then you wouldn't expect them to post a picture that wasn't appealing.

Don't sweat the photos if it's too much trouble. If you're happy with the result, I'll give them a try and post the pictures myself.

Gary

Old 02-09-2011, 10:04 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
I just don't remember which side the clip is on a which side the tab is on. I think the clip is on the same side as the screw. I don't believe you need to remove the screw to remove the housing.
I'm certain you don't need to remove the screw in order to pull out the lens.
As I recall, the tab is on the same side as the screw (nearest to the center line of the car).

Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I got the full Hoen modules, with the extra resistor ballast things. "Digital License Plate Assembly"

Update for you guys -

Turns out the trick is to unscrew the right-hand screw a quarter of the way (the one on the side w/ the tab) and then use that to yank out the housing with some pliers. I had to yank pretty hard.

I installed one of the LEDs and it looks fantastic, just like the pic on the Hoen website - but the other one had no harness! The other module wasn't even plugged into anything, it just popped out and wasn't attached.

So my question is - short of taking off the bumper, anybody know how to fish out the other harness in case it got dropped? Do the two harnesses come off the same main harness or...? I really would rather not take off my bumper or pay my dealership 250 bucks to turn some screws.

Thanks,
chiffonade

Last edited by chiffonade; 02-16-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Okay everyone, I figured it out. One of the ends of the "Y" cable that the two harnesses are connected to is very short. Basically just by moving one end, you will pull the other end out of place, forever lost inside your bumper.

But here's the solution: pull the entire Y-cable out of one of the holes, gently. You'll see both harnesses dangling. (Photo 1)

Take a hanger from your dry cleaner and bend it into a hook and put it through one hole and out the other. Then clip it around the shorter harness and pull it back through gently, while holding the longer one in place. (Photo 2, 3)

Attach light assemblies and put it all back into place... (Photo 4) As you can see it looks pretty good.

Attached Images     

Last edited by chiffonade; 02-16-2011 at 08:21 PM.