997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

911 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 PM
nyte3k will become famous soon enough
Question 911 as daily driver?

so right now I'm in an '07 BMW e92 (3-series coupe), but have might sights set on the upcoming 911 (991, carrera) for my next vehicle in a couple years.

I love my car, and the amount of miles I put on that car show (lol), so i'm wondering if anyone here uses their 911 as a daily driver? And by daily driver, i'm assuming 50 or so miles/day about 5-7 days a week.

I could keep the 3-series and add the 911 as well, but honestly, I would probably drive the Porsche 9 out of 10 times anyway, and would rather get some trade-in value for 3 at purchase time. Is the 911 a car that is meant to be driven often and reliable enough for the stop-n-go traffic that Atlanta offers a good portion of the time?

Just want to hear your thoughts and experiences...thanks guys!!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 PM
chiffonade is on a distinguished road
I'd split the miles between the 2 cars, especially in stop and go. e92 M3 isn't exactly a beater, I'd enjoy it just as much as a 911, possibly more so in traffic.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM
nyte3k will become famous soon enough
i wish it were an m3...it's just a 328 , but I still love it.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Not a problem as a DD, these cars are meant to be driven, the more the better

Old 02-19-2011, 08:04 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
I live in LA and stop and go traffic is not fun in this car. I deal with it daily and will probably buy a second car.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I have 2 cars, both 911's:
- 2005 911 Carrera S, 997SC, Supercharged 530HP monster
- 1987 911 Carrera 3.2, Concours condition

Both are daily drivers, I decide each day which one to take. And both have a car seat in the back for my son!
CATTMAN

Attached Images   

Last edited by Cattman; 02-19-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
I split the time between two cars....my C4S and E320. I tend to use the E320 when its below 40F when my tires aren't any good or when it is raining. However, I just boaught another set of wheels and will be putting winter tires on for 3 months moving forward because everytime I drive the E320, I wish I was in the 911. Once I can do that I will only use the E320 when I know I have to go to downtown seattle or other places where I will have problems with ground clearance.

Last edited by lowpue; 02-20-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 PM
cfos is on a distinguished road
I don't know that I put 50 miles per week, but I daily mine year round ( in the sun, rain and the snow).

Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Just want to hear your thoughts and experiences...thanks guys!!
Many of my 911 cars were daily drivers but it would be inaccurate to say it was the only car in the household . Also in recent years I noticed a rise in theft and huge decline in courtesy .

It's not the car that's the problem. It's the roads ,constuction, inclement weather, rude or careless people, and the lack of being able to really keep a 100K car in pristine shape without some type of worry or concern.

Most people imagine driving the awesome 911 in a fun setting but the negative aspects which spoil the fun of having the car and using it every day. I realize that some will disagree and maybe they don't mind having their cherished things exposed to the realities of the daily driving and parking environment.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:52 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent points are outlined by yrralis1. Although the 911 is easily DD'vable, it would be hard to have a 911 as one's only car in the household.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:01 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Excellent points are outlined by yrralis1. Although the 911 is easily DD'vable, it would be hard to have a 911 as one's only car in the household.
Completely agree with you and yrralis1...

Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 AM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Not a problem as a DD, these cars are meant to be driven, the more the better
Yep. DD here as well. Just know that your 328 ride cost per mile is peanuts next to a 911. Comfortable and fun yes, maintenance is not bad but the wearables (tires) are twice the price and half the life of your 328.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:52 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Alot of good points in this thread. I use my car everyday here in NY/NJ. Definitely agree it cannot be your only car. That being said the weather in Atlanta is different than up north. The 911 can be driven daily but it takes and gives you a beaten. Would probably chose an M3 over a 911 if I had to do it over again. In my opinion back seats are for small suitcases not people. Had to put winter tires on car (mother nature killed us this winter). Rough over roads up here. A little snug inside for us tall people. Although head room is good. Trips to home depot take the wife's truck. Small gas tank so always at the pump. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Agreed. Well said!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
could be your only car if you are a bachelor though...
it becomes much easier..

the only time I wish I had a different car is the very few times I need to haul around something large
it can do groceries, traffic, and anything you throw at it, as well, if not better than other cars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 as daily driver?