997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Center Lock Wheel Change: Tips and Tools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fjpgt3
The tools are:
Porsche collapsible breaker bar. From Sunset Porsche.
Tooltopia.com Precision Instruments (PREC4D600F) torque wrench.
3R Racing Centerlock wheel Hub alignment tool.
Lastly the 3M adhesive wall hooks.

where can i buy the 3R piece? i just get pix when i search. thanks for your help

Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
3R Racing online ordering or call. $360

Old 05-21-2011, 04:58 PM
abdo054 is on a distinguished road
interesting .. thanks for the explanation !

Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
CL Wheel Spare

Will Porsche offer a small stow-able CL spare ?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
small scissors jack source??

please point me to a small scissors jack that'll get the job done.... all i have found is 26" long, way too big to carry for emergencies.....

thanks for your help!!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
DIY: Center Lock Wheel Breaker Bar "Cuddly"

Guys,

I carry the CL wheel breaker bar with me under the bonnet and don't want it wobbling around and extending itself and beating up the inside of the trunk...

Read Victor Hugo's story the "Loose Cannon" and you will get my drift....

http://www.online-literature.com/victor_hugo/3067/

Anyway, I went to hardware store and bought a length of 1 3/8 " split pipe insulation, cut it to length, and secured the ends with zip ties.

The breaker bar is now secure in its cuddly - and I keep it wedged and secure in there between tool pack and first aid kit.

Check it out, and regards,

UJ

Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
OEM CL wheel spare for your trunk !

Guys,

I may be the lone member of the CL Wheel Appreciation Society. I have had them off and on, and the procedure is quite simple……..love the look too, anyway.......

Check out OEM CL wheel spare for your trunk.

Looks like it consists of an adapter plate and special lug nuts.

You can also get the OEM scissor jack and foam enclosure that goes under the trunk floor piece. The foam cut-outs hold the jack and jack lever.

The price is unmentionable in print, as it may cause seizures when assimilated.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CL Wheel Spare.pdf (21.5 KB, 1071 views)
Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 PM
jasonmorris1809 is on a distinguished road
Great info in here, picking up a 10 RS wednesday, can't wait to get the wheels off!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Stewart W is on a distinguished road
never used my Precision torque wrench or breaker bar..both " new"...anyone interested ? I sold my GT3...
send PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Stewart,

Looks like they will arrive tomorrow.

Thanks, Alan

Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Stuart,

Just received the breaker bar and wrench. Thanks for packaging it so well.

Alan

Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Former Vendor
Numeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond repute
I was told by a very reputable race team to use antiseeze grease. Wheels off the ground. First torque to 360ft lbs. Then back off apply brake and retorque to 440 ft lbs. Sounds like a major pain in the *** and you need a 3/4 torque wrench will run you probably anywhere from 400 to 1000 dollars.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 AM
not a problem

Originally Posted by dgeberth
I was told by a very reputable race team to use antiseeze grease. Wheels off the ground. First torque to 360ft lbs. Then back off apply brake and retorque to 440 ft lbs. Sounds like a major pain in the *** and you need a 3/4 torque wrench will run you probably anywhere from 400 to 1000 dollars.
I recently took my CL wheels off - really not an issue. I used anti-sieze grease which was effective.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Mugwhump is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Center lock wheel experience

2012 GTS, PDK, PASM, PSE, sport chrono

First of all, love the car. No problems of any type, but only 5500 miles so far (Jan 2012 delivery).

Bought snows with car and had them installed pre-delivery. Finally got around to scheduling summer tires installed (weird weather in Chicago this year). Went in as scheduled and stealer wanted $645 to install summers. ne hour labor per wheel, and $50 per wheel to mount and balance! Asked if I could get some of what they are smoking and declined their "offer". They then lowered the price to $450 and gave me story about how complicated this is, and tried to lay a fear trip on me. Sorry, I have been doing work on a series of Porsches myself for a long time, and I wasn't buying their BS.

Did some research and read all of the links (thanks to all) and made
arrangements with local VW dealer to have tires mounted and balanced for $30
per wheel. I had used them in the past for tire work and never had any issues.
They looked at the wheels and we went through the manual and they said
they could do the job.

Decided to test run myself so bought a 3' 3/4" ratchet breaker bar at local
auto store for $37. Went to Ebay and got a used 3/4" torque wrench for
$120. So now I had the tools, and decided to try removing wheels myself.

Surprise, surprise, this is ridiculously easy. Taking a wheel off is a 2 minute job, installing it is just as easy. Making sure the lock is engaged was my main concern and thanks to posts here, I found that that is a snap as well.

Like others, now tat I understand how things work, I like the wheels, and have no concerns. I have figured out how to keep the breaker bar and torque wrench stored in the car so I am prepared for travel. Will get small hydraulic Jack as well and figure out how to store so I am good to go.

My bottom line is don't buy into the FUD. Anyone with a lick of mechanical skill is able to cope with center lock wheels. Relax and drive your car like you stole it (I do). Hope this helps others.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Mug, what Torque Wrench did you get? Make sure you torque to 444ftlbs...no more no less or you will have issues with the center lock hub system. If you bought a used torque wrench you really should send it in and have it checked and calibrated. The Center Lock wheels require a precise amount of torque.

I also recommend a truck brake depressor so that you do not have to have someone hold the brakes while the car is jacked up when removing the wheels and putting them back on. Mines was about $25. My torque wretch was about $400 and it can be used both clockwise and counter clockwise...many torque wretches can't

I have every Porsche paper from the shop manual on the center locks...email me and I'll send them to you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center Lock Wheel Change: Tips and Tools