997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How do you work the clutch when you shift gears?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:52 AM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
How do you work the clutch when you shift gears?

I learned to drive stick on the P car and never had any pro instructions. I am pretty good at it now but I still find my self making mistakes where my passengers head jerks or I get confused about what gear to downshift to when negotiating an exit on the freeway.

I read threads like this before but rather than bringing up an old thread let me be more specific about what I need to know. I just want to be sure that I am doing a few other right.

1. When you upshift from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 do you let out the clutch slowly. I tried this at various RPM's and the only way I get a smooth shift on lower gears is to let out the clutch slowly. Am I burning the clutch?

2. Do you let the clutch out slowly when you downshift? Do you always blip the throttle on downshift? Say you want to pass a car on the freeway, how would you go about downshifting for more power?

3. My driveway is on a slight uphill. I find that I have to slip the clutch to get into my garage slowly. Otherwise I am going in full force. Am I doing it wrong?

4. Sometimes after a spirited drive I smell something burning when I get out of the car. How do I know if it's the clutch or not?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akacaj
I learned to drive stick on the P car and never had any pro instructions. I am pretty good at it now but I still find my self making mistakes where my passengers head jerks or I get confused about what gear to downshift to when negotiating an exit on the freeway.

I read threads like this before but rather than bringing up an old thread let me be more specific about what I need to know. I just want to be sure that I am doing a few other right.

1. When you upshift from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 do you let out the clutch slowly. I tried this at various RPM's and the only way I get a smooth shift on lower gears is to let out the clutch slowly. Am I burning the clutch?

2. Do you let the clutch out slowly when you downshift? Do you always blip the throttle on downshift? Say you want to pass a car on the freeway, how would you go about downshifting for more power?

3. My driveway is on a slight uphill. I find that I have to slip the clutch to get into my garage slowly. Otherwise I am going in full force. Am I doing it wrong?

4. Sometimes after a spirited drive I smell something burning when I get out of the car. How do I know if it's the clutch or not?
1. Let the clutch out slowly (but not too slow) as you start to accelerate. Too much RPM with a slow engagement will burn the clutch. If you are taking longer than 2-3 seconds between gears than you might be slipping to clutch too much. That may sound like a fast shift, but it really isn't.

2. You want to match engine RPM with the lower gear. Blipping the throttle will help. Double clutching is also a technique but takes a lot of practice to be smooth at it. Passing should not require a downshift unless you really have to get around quickly or you've lugged the car down in a higher gear. Just blip the throttle as you get to the bottom end of the clutch travel to get the revs a little higher and engage the next lower gear.

3. You may have to slip the clutch slightly but you should not have to rev the engine much above a few hundred rpms above idle. Once you are moving you can use the clutch's friction point (where it starts to move the car) to adjust your speed as you get closer to where you want to stop.

4. Burning clutch has a rather unique smell, but so does overheated brakes, or hot coolant, or a hot engine. Take it by someone that can identify what you are smelling. Better safe than sorry.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 AM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Thank you for such a detailed answer. It is exactly what I was looking for.

I tried to rep you but its telling me that I need to spread some rep around before giving it to you. I must have repped you recently for something else.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Sharkys will become famous soon enough
I have approx 3000 miles on my 997. I used to take my time between upshifts at around 3000 rpms and the ride was pretty chunky. I've sinced learned the car likes to rev and the shifts have to be deliberate - this doesn't mean you have to speed away after each stop. Rather be quick about your business (in and out) and the ride will be very smooth. You'll get a feel when to feather the clutch during the times you are out of timing. On the down shift coming to a stop, I quit trying to practice because that just extra wear and tear. I'd rather replace pads than drivetrain parts (though I have PCCCBs and virtually no wear on the original pad or rotors at 44K miles - no track). When you want to pass aggressively at speed, you'll have to very very deliberate when blipping the throttle. Take note how much the rpms drop on the upshifts, they are the same as the upshifts and that is wear you will need to match.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
With all due respect... do not learn to drive a sports car and one with a manual tranny on a forum. Go, run, get professional help fast. Become a PCA member and contact your local PCA chapter for driver's ED.

P.S. - my clutches usually last well past 100k miles...

Last edited by adias; 03-12-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Gearboxes always shift better under load. Meaning, shift at the point of rising rpms (doesn't have to be aggressive). This works for upshifts and blipping the throttle before downshifts.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM
I noticed that when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear it is smoothest when you don't let go of the gas pedal at all. Otherwise I get a quick jerk. Is there a problem with doing that?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I noticed that when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear it is smoothest when you don't let go of the gas pedal at all. Otherwise I get a quick jerk. Is there a problem with doing that?
Please read my post #5 above. It is wrong to upshift without lifting the throttle (in a manual transmission).

Old 03-14-2011, 01:02 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
I wouldn't consider that the best technique. Your not getting a "jerk" because you are not allowing the engine to decelerate. However, you must be getting somewhat of a kick in the shorts as you engage the next gear since the engine was momentarly free to rev higher as it was relieved of the drag of being "in gear". I would recommend letting off of the gas slightly as you complete the shift. Do not let off all the way or you will encounter an initial "jerk" (actually deceleration forces) from the drivetrain absorbing the drag encountered from the engine approaching idle rpm.

Practice, practice, practice. However, I get the feeling form your posts that you are attempting to teach yourself. I would recommend finding someone with manual transmission experience (hopefully in a Porsche)along to coach you. I'm betting that somewhere within your area code is a Porsche Club.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
OK I might have been mistaken. I do let off the gas when I depress the clutch because it has become a reflex. But just slightly and definitely not as much as I do on the other gears. From my trial and error I found that 1st to 2nd gear shifts smoother when you don't let go of the gas pedal entirely. I guess that tiny bit that I do let go is enough to rev match the next gear as it is 100% smooth. If it is smooth doesn't that mean that I am doing it right?

Originally Posted by adias
Please read my post #5 above. It is wrong to upshift without lifting the throttle (in a manual transmission).
I read your post and I respect your opinion. I plan on going to Porsche Racing School but I simply haven't had the time yet. I am also a PCA member but haven't gotten around to actually participating in anything. I am not sure of whats needed to go to these DE, Autocross events. Helmet? Roll Bar? Racing Suit? Fire Extinguisher? I don't have any of that.

As far as learning to drive stick I think at this point the only thing that is going to help is practice. I have only put in about 5k miles on my car and thats all the practice I have so far. I figured id ask you guys for a few pointers on a few things that I was doing that I was unsure about. PTParks advice has been spot on and highly appreciated!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
It's great you've joined the PCA. What I would do, and did when I bought my car, as ask your PCA rep for a ride-along. They put me in touch with a local DE instructor who met me for coffee and went over any questions I had and then we went for a drive. He gave me a few pointers and with some practice and patience my clutch work has improved in both smoothness and in prolonging the life of the clutch.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
OK I might have been mistaken. I do let off the gas when I depress the clutch because it has become a reflex. But just slightly and definitely not as much as I do on the other gears. From my trial and error I found that 1st to 2nd gear shifts smoother when you don't let go of the gas pedal entirely. I guess that tiny bit that I do let go is enough to rev match the next gear as it is 100% smooth. If it is smooth doesn't that mean that I am doing it right?

I read your post and I respect your opinion. I plan on going to Porsche Racing School but I simply haven't had the time yet. I am also a PCA member but haven't gotten around to actually participating in anything. I am not sure of whats needed to go to these DE, Autocross events. Helmet? Roll Bar? Racing Suit? Fire Extinguisher? I don't have any of that.

As far as learning to drive stick I think at this point the only thing that is going to help is practice. I have only put in about 5k miles on my car and thats all the practice I have so far. I figured id ask you guys for a few pointers on a few things that I was doing that I was unsure about. PTParks advice has been spot on and highly appreciated!

With more due respect... before you attend any performance driving schools... and based on your posts, you need to learn to drive stick correctly. You can contact your local PCA chapter and ask for help - I am sure some local member will be happy to help you.

Pardon me still, but no internet advice will help you fully. You need the real-time feedback of an experienced stick driver. For more internet help, here is what I offer when I am asked (but it's stil up yo you and no one wil grade you):

DRIVING TIPS - shifting technique

These videos are good and were made by someone I know. They are numbered 1-13 - watch them in order. Good luck!

Last edited by adias; 03-14-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Mark Ducati will become famous soon enoughMark Ducati will become famous soon enough
If you're driving it like you stole it or racing it... isn't the passenger's head supposed to jerk?

That's why I love my PDK... I push the "Sport Plus" button and then keep mashing the + button on the steering wheel just before it redlines

Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
per Adidas, sounds like u need someone to help u in person.

but in the mean time, see if this helps.

i dont believe in letting out the clutch slowly (nor letting it 'pop' out by sliding ur feet).. so find a nice in-out motion with ur left leg.

and keep in mind, u have to do this in sequence..

clutch in - shift gear- clutch out

easy as that sounds, i see lotta beginners hurry the shifting before the clutch is fully depressed.

if u r having a hard time with the timing , try putting ur shifting hand on the steering wheel when u r driving (instead of leaving it on the shifter **** or close to it).. this will give u that one extra split second, and u will notice smoother shifting. Don't worry too much about being smooth on 1-2 shift.. it will come with time.

BOL

Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
... try putting ur shifting hand on the steering wheel when u r driving (instead of leaving it on the shifter **** or close to it)..
never a bad idea....

I agree though - get some hands on training with a friend or PCA associate. When I got my first MT ages ago, I had friends drive with me and show me the ropes - then practice practice practice. When you have it down, your date will not notice that you are shifting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you work the clutch when you shift gears?