997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cab - Rain Drops

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
patrija is on a distinguished road
Cab - Rain Drops

My car is a DD, which means it gets rained on.

If I leave the car in a parking lot in a really hard rain, I occassionally see a few water drops on the inside of the the A-pillar. Example is yesterday when we had 2" of rain during the day in Atlanta and my car sat outside in the parking lot. After a full work day, there were about 3 water drops on both A-Pillars where the top has the rubber against the A-pillar. Not a major issue, but made me wonder...

Also, I noticed that the door sills were wet. Not inside the car, but on the door sill under the door. Again not a major issue, but was a surprise...

There do not occur when the car is moving, just when it's been sitting in heavy rain. Are this common? Or is a top adjustment in order? I know that my '05 Boxster (also a DD) did not have these wet areas when left in the rain.

-JP
2007 C4S Cab

Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
I've never had a problem here in Florida w/ my '06 Cab.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:47 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Damn, this is NOT good. I just picked up my first cab.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Would think it a little unusual for an '07 but dealer can fix it for you. Would either need new seal or an adjustment to the locking mechanism or both. Either way a warranty item and I would think a fairly simple repair or at least simple by Porsche standards.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
I'll play the devil's advocate here: Cab's leak.
I've had various convertibles of different make and expense, and sooner or later they all will leak. And they all will have wind noise - they go hand in hand. Sure, the dealer might be able to temporarily make things better, but ultimately it's a losing battle. This makes them much better as a third car, in my opinion, but if one chooses to use it as a DD, it will be necessary that the driver adjust his/her expectations in order to avoid constant grief.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 PM
patrija is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I'll mention it at the next oil change.

Note - My $20k Miata DD for 7 years never leaked. So accepting it on a car MSRP of $120k seems a bit crazy

Old 12-04-2009, 10:03 AM
reewrd has a little shameless behaviour in the past
had my 997 cab for over 3 years and it's never leaked

but it never rains in san diego

about the only time my cab gets tested is in the touch free car wash. i take it through there all the time, and even with high pressure water from all angles, it's never let a drop of water in

i think you should take your car to the dealer and have them check it out

Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by patrija
Thanks, I'll mention it at the next oil change.

Note - My $20k Miata DD for 7 years never leaked. So accepting it on a car MSRP of $120k seems a bit crazy
+1 to this.....

Old 12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mseligson
I'll play the devil's advocate here: Cab's leak.
I've had various convertibles of different make and expense, and sooner or later they all will leak. And they all will have wind noise - they go hand in hand. Sure, the dealer might be able to temporarily make things better, but ultimately it's a losing battle. This makes them much better as a third car, in my opinion, but if one chooses to use it as a DD, it will be necessary that the driver adjust his/her expectations in order to avoid constant grief.
+1 I have a coupe but the manual indicates that leaks are to be expected with a cab and are considered normal. Bye the way, when I wash my car the door sills are wet ( only the outer area). This is also normal and not related to the top.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is on a distinguished road
It should NOT leak... My 2 Boxsters NEVER had ANY water issues. Take it back to the dealer and have the top adjusted... Now my old MGB.... that leaked

Best

Matt

Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Matt(in MA)
It should NOT leak... My 2 Boxsters NEVER had ANY water issues. Take it back to the dealer and have the top adjusted... Now my old MGB.... that leaked

Matt
I agree. I have had 5 Porsche Cabs as DD and no leaks..........and I live in the Pacific N.W. where its been known to rain from time to time. ..Now if your talking leaks.......try a 58 Speedster

Old 12-04-2009, 03:10 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
Check the door seal, it may not be tight enough

I recently had to have my driver's side door seal replaced (a truck mirror hit my A pillar and took a gouge out of it). After I got my car back, it was leaking exactly as you described . . . with careful observation, you could see that water was seeping in under the seal and working it's way inside the door. AS it turns out, the body shop did not do a good enough job aligning the seal and tightening the screws that keep it flush to the a-pillar. They had also inverted one of the seals (if you look at the top of the door seal, you will see that it slips under the seal that covers the top of the windshield frame).

The resulting drips sound exactly like what you are describing and I would suggest you have your dealer take a look at it. On my car, there was a noticeable difference between the passenger and driver's side . . . the same may be true for you. Either way, once addressed, my cab went back to being 100% drip free.

Good luck.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
In order to keep the rubber seals from drying out and to keep the rubber looking new I suggest you use " 303 Aerospace Protectant "
http://www.303products.com/

Also their " 303 High Tech Fabric Guard " works great for the top. Wal-mart, NAPA & West Marine are places where you can find it.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
I had 3 different Cabs.............

Originally Posted by patrija
My car is a DD, which means it gets rained on.

If I leave the car in a parking lot in a really hard rain, I occassionally see a few water drops on the inside of the the A-pillar. Example is yesterday when we had 2" of rain during the day in Atlanta and my car sat outside in the parking lot. After a full work day, there were about 3 water drops on both A-Pillars where the top has the rubber against the A-pillar. Not a major issue, but made me wonder...

Also, I noticed that the door sills were wet. Not inside the car, but on the door sill under the door. Again not a major issue, but was a surprise...

There do not occur when the car is moving, just when it's been sitting in heavy rain. Are this common? Or is a top adjustment in order? I know that my '05 Boxster (also a DD) did not have these wet areas when left in the rain.

-JP
2007 C4S Cab
since 1999 and none leaked! Take it to the dealer.

Tom

Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
Oh, um, let me guess. Never a squeak or rattle either!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cab - Rain Drops