997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY: 997 OEM Trunk Mounted Collapsible Spare Tire – C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM
stilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud of
DIY: 997 OEM Trunk Mounted Collapsible Spare Tire – C4S

As commented in several other thread unbelievably Porsche didn’t offer 997 owners the option of a trunk mounted spare. My car is a 4 season daily driver and personally I would prefer to change a flat tire myself and be back on the road then to wait for a service truck to arrive. So I knew as soon as I bought my car this would be one of the first projects I’d complete.

Several measurements quickly confirmed mounting a spare tire in the floor of the trunk was not possible due to the AWD system so this was the method I settled on. Hopefully this write-up will help someone else looking for a similar option.

Configuration
'06 997 C4S with Nav & 6 Disc CD Changer
Note: CD changer was discarded in this install.
Note: This method will work for C2, C2S & C4 997 as well.

OEM Parts
996-362-150-00 Collapsible Spare Tire (996)
996-722-101-00 Jack and Tool Holder Insert
997-551-108-00-02A Bose Amp Cover
997-551-051-20-A31 Trunk Liner (Black) Bose Amp Only

Non-OEM Parts
(2) Sealed Rivets----------- McMaster: 97524A046
(1) Easy Align Weld Nut ---McMaster: 90955A129
(1) 6” Threaded Rod-------McMaster: 90557A650
(1) Wing Nut---------------McMaster: 92239A250
(4+) Blind Rivets----------- (Your choice)

Major Steps:
Disassemble Trunk, Remove CD Changer and All Liners

Remove DVD/NAV Drive from Mounting Bracket.

Rivet CD Changer Bracket to NAV/DVD Drive Mounting Bracket

Mount Weld Nut In Raised Sheet Metal (Do Not Drill Through the Trunk!!!)

Test Fit of Assembly (Note Location of Weldnut)

Cut Hole for Spare Tire Mounting Rod, Install Carpet

Mount Insert and Tool Kit

Finished Product

More pictures & additional steps/ details can be found here: CLICK

Last edited by stilljester; 05-03-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added part numbers for non-OEM parts
Old 05-01-2011, 05:21 PM
911CSLover will become famous soon enough911CSLover will become famous soon enough
how much did you pay for the tire jack et al? I'm pondering purchasing for my 2006 C2S. Any recommendations on the best place to purchase?

Old 05-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job. And they said it couldn't be done. Did you discard the CD player because there was no room for it with the spare in place ? Could the CD have been piggy backed with the +NAV and still allow room for the spare ? Thanks for posting as I have contemplated getting the spare for road trips as I don't trust the goop or the tiny compressor that came with the car.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:13 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I saw the full kit on suncoast.

Jason

Old 05-02-2011, 04:25 AM
stilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud ofstilljester has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911CSLover
how much did you pay for the tire jack et al? I'm pondering purchasing for my 2006 C2S. Any recommendations on the best place to purchase?
Budget between $250-$500 for the setup. The final cost really depends on how patient you are; go deals can be certainly be found. I would suggest to scan the Classifieds forum here, eBay and/or use a board sponsor like Suncoast.

Originally Posted by Dadio
Did you discard the CD player because there was no room for it with the spare in place ? Could the CD have been piggy backed with the +NAV and still allow room for the spare ?
CD changer was mainly removed because I substituted an IPod to perform the same function. I could have mounted it in tandem with the +NAV drive but I wanted to keep as much trunk space as possible.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 AM
ecostellodo is on a distinguished road
Could you post how the sealed rivets were placed on the raised sheet metal? You state not to drill here (due to location of the gas tank, I'm sure).

Your set up looks great. I have the Boxster bicycle tire in my frunk.

thanks

Old 05-02-2011, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Could you post how the sealed rivets were placed on the raised sheet metal? You state not to drill here (due to location of the gas tank, I'm sure).

thanks
Please excuse the crudeness of the sketch but I think this should help.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Ahhhh, I see and understand.

Thanks

Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Don't count on your skill with a drill to not go through both 'A' and 'B' above. Tape the drill bit to a depth that would allow only penetration of 'A' or use a collet on the bit to control depth. Once the bit goes through the first wall it may pull itself through the second. you are dealing with thin sheet metal.

To the OP thanks for the post. I often think about this as I sometimes find myself a day's drive from home.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Could you post where you sourced the rivets and well nut? Part numbers for those would be helpful.

thanks

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Good job. I just recently bought the Suncoast kit - been looking around for that wheel (17in collapsible) used for a while and finally gave up - 16's are easy to find - 17s are very rare. The tire alone is almost $700. If you did all this for under $500, kudos big time.

I just have mine propped up like yours but not secured, although it is sitting with two wheel chocks on each side and is probably very close to contact with the Das Schild liner - doesn't look like it is going anywhere and I also have now the option of putting it in the rear seat. I still want to explore putting on the floor, but that looks like it will be very tight or not possible.

Last edited by stevepow; 05-03-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Nicely done!

bob

Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
I like it -what do you do with the flat tire? Will it fit in the back seat?

Matt

Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Tell the person in the seat next to you to hold it steady and not let it rub the dash

Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Could you post where you sourced the rivets and well nut? Part numbers for those would be helpful.

thanks
No problem. My original post has been updated with the part numbers.

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Don't count on your skill with a drill to not go through both 'A' and 'B' above. Tape the drill bit to a depth that would allow only penetration of 'A' or use a collet on the bit to control depth. Once the bit goes through the first wall it may pull itself through the second. you are dealing with thin sheet metal.
Great comment. Another suggestion would be to pick up a set of drill collars. They are cheap insurance when controlling drill depth is critical.

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Yes it will fit in the back seat. My tool kit contains a plastic bag to place the flat in to prevent marring interior surfaces.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: 997 OEM Trunk Mounted Collapsible Spare Tire – C4S