997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
We are all very fortunate and blessed to be owners of Porsche's or even in positions to be considering purchasing a Porsche. You don't have to be rich or wise to buy a Porsche, but it helps

I remember the days out of high school and early college when I wanted a new car was only making maybe 20k a year as a student. I remember thinking 20k for a car was soooo much money. It still is, but as we mature and our income increases that amount does not seem like such a hill to climb anymore. Most of us could write a check for that today and not even blink. Does not mean it would be wise.I have met many "poseurs" just doing it for the status symbol when their income can not sustain it.

I think any one who makes a big purchase should have their priorities lined up.
It's hard to admire "poseurs" who drives 80-100k cars, but lives with their parents, or lives in a small run down apartment. In my opinion those priorities are a little backwards. They spend 70% of their paycheck on car lease payments and insurance and 30% on shelter and savings. Not very wise if they want to be rich some day.

Act your "wage" or live your "wage". If you are patient and disciplined with your savings plan and investing the majority of your money properly then there will be less "guilt" about making such a big purchase because you will have a back up plan and parachute in case you should suddenly lose income. You would have also started building a good foundation financially in other areas too. You don't want to be one of those "rich" people who have their cars depreciate rapidly and then repossessed because they live paycheck to paycheck and suddenly lose their income

Be wise... Do your research and buy something well maintained and used so as not to take such a huge hit on depreciation. There are a lot of nice, low mileage deals out there.

Your income for now is more then adequate and if you still get nervous and sick to your stomach making big purchases.... that's a good thing. Your conscience and common sense are still kicking and that will keep ya from making some "emotional" purchase mistakes. I made my self sick analyzing and thinking about the "amount" of money I was spending to buy my Porsche, but I did the research and ran the numbers a hundred times and on paper I was totally fine. For me it was a mental hurdle because I started with nothing and I worked very hard for everything I have achieved and wanted to be absolutely certain I was not making an impulse buy. I needed to find the right car too and the minute I saw the one i ended up purchasing all my fears and doubts about it vanished instantly.

When you get your Porsche, Don't worry about what others think... Kill them with kindness. Anyone who talks to you or asks you about your car, answer them in a humble manner and with enthusiasm. Offer friends and family a ride. For a lot of people it will be their first time driving and experiencing a Porsche. If you are afraid of the negative Porsche owner stereo type most people have, then have a smile on your face every time ya drive it. Be encouraging and be some one people will aspire to be and admire. A lot of that has to do with attitude and how you interact with others concerning your car. If you are worried about ridicule over spending that much money, then just remind them you got a great deal on it and it was a very small percentage of your savings or income and that you planned a long time to be able to purchase one. If they still have issues, then blow them off, they are just jealous and sad about their own circumstances.

I hope you can come to a "wise" decision soon and find the perfect 911 for yourself. Best of luck.

Last edited by qikqbn; 07-19-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
thor48 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

qikqbn - had you posted this response in the beginning, this may have been a very short thread. Very good advice.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:00 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by thor48
qikqbn - had you posted this response in the beginning, this may have been a very short thread. Very good advice.

thanks man, just my humble opinion...
plus.... short threads are boring

Old 07-19-2011, 06:50 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
I've been off this forum for a spell as I sold my Porsches.

Think only of the buy-sell delta at conservative estimates. If you can afford that $ loss go for it.

See also a behavioral therapist as you seem way too occupied with what other people think of you. (Not that modest appearances are not important but we're not talking about buying a lambo).

Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
Hi, this is the OP here .. this thread is still going. Wow.

I got the car, enjoy it..

Its a regular carrera, black metallic, black interior, bought with ~32k miles, already has 35k, kind of sad about it but oh well. Paid 41 for it but after all the stuff they upsold me on I paid more.

To the one who started this thread....OP, Congratulations and we are all happy you finally pulled the trigger... ignore my previous advice and drive it like you stole it just kidding. welcome to the Porsche club!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:21 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
Hi, this is the OP here .. this thread is still going. Wow.

I got the car, enjoy it..

Its a regular carrera, black metallic, black interior, bought with ~32k miles, already has 35k, kind of sad about it but oh well. Paid 41 for it but after all the stuff they upsold me on I paid more.
Why are you sad about it? Second guessing your purchase?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Why are you sad about it? Second guessing your purchase?
I told him he should had purchased an 'S'.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ynot
I told him he should had purchased an 'S'.
Agreed. S or Turbo.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i would put it in a different way. a lot of people now go over hard times. having family myself and a lot of related expenses i can see easily how seeing a neighbor in new shiny 997 car may create hostility when you are in debt to your eyeballs and there is no way out but to keep up with your payments for everything. so if one is young and gets a premium sport car as a status symbol to brag about it - be ready to some retaliation. i would also not advice to ever tell anybody at work about this.

as of how rich - question is irrelevant. you do not have to be excessively rich to buy a used $40K car, even if its sticker was in $80K-$100K area. but what you get is a certain status symbol and it has some stuff what comes with it. when i had my car i gave couple of neighbors a spirited drive around a block and now we are on best terms and chat sometimes of 'how they also had a sport car before'. so, if you are wise about it - it will be mostly fine. but not at work, ever - everything what can be used against you there will be used against you, so, be smart and do not annoy people too much with your ability to enjoy toys they cannot afford. people do not like that very much usually.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:47 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get how some of you guys waited until 30 or 40 to get a Porsche. 2 yrs out of college was all I could wait for mine. Staring at the bedroom posters and desktop backgrounds from age 11 to 23 was long enough, there's no way I could do it for another 10 years, it would eat away at my soul.

I didn't even think twice about buying it. Once I had the clutch/wing hydraulics/ticket fund built up, I couldn't find any reason not to do it. Some people my age go out and buy $250 pairs of jeans or $150 bottles of wine for first dates. I pick dates up in my filthy Subaru and Dockers...to each their own.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by flavorPacket
I don't get how some of you guys waited until 30 or 40 to get a Porsche. 2 yrs out of college was all I could wait for mine. Staring at the bedroom posters and desktop backgrounds from age 11 to 23 was long enough, there's no way I could do it for another 10 years, it would eat away at my soul.

I didn't even think twice about buying it. Once I had the clutch/wing hydraulics/ticket fund built up, I couldn't find any reason not to do it. Some people my age go out and buy $250 pairs of jeans or $150 bottles of wine for first dates. I pick dates up in my filthy Subaru and Dockers...to each their own.
I bought mine at 25, but I could have squeezed in another car in between. had the new Z4M been out when I sold my last car, I would have squeezed that in before the 911, but it wasn't.
I refused to buy a Turbo because I'd have nothing to look forward to. My next 911 will be a 991 Turbo.. Also I cringe at the thought of a used one, and dropping 150,000$+ on a car at younger than my current age is kind of ridiculous.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 PM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Comet
I bought mine at 25, but I could have squeezed in another car in between. had the new Z4M been out when I sold my last car, I would have squeezed that in before the 911, but it wasn't.
I refused to buy a Turbo because I'd have nothing to look forward to. My next 911 will be a 991 Turbo.. Also I cringe at the thought of a used one, and dropping 150,000$+ on a car at younger than my current age is kind of ridiculous.
The ability to buy one of these cars at 25 is rare. Additionally, buying anything really expensive and impractical is irrational to most. But thats why we're called enthusiest.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 PM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Comet
The ability to buy one of these cars at 25 is rare. Additionally, buying anything really expensive and impractical is irrational to most. But thats why we're called enthusiast.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
i would put it in a different way. a lot of people now go over hard times. having family myself and a lot of related expenses i can see easily how seeing a neighbor in new shiny 997 car may create hostility when you are in debt to your eyeballs and there is no way out but to keep up with your payments for everything. so if one is young and gets a premium sport car as a status symbol to brag about it - be ready to some retaliation. i would also not advice to ever tell anybody at work about this.

as of how rich - question is irrelevant. you do not have to be excessively rich to buy a used $40K car, even if its sticker was in $80K-$100K area. but what you get is a certain status symbol and it has some stuff what comes with it. when i had my car i gave couple of neighbors a spirited drive around a block and now we are on best terms and chat sometimes of 'how they also had a sport car before'. so, if you are wise about it - it will be mostly fine. but not at work, ever - everything what can be used against you there will be used against you, so, be smart and do not annoy people too much with your ability to enjoy toys they cannot afford. people do not like that very much usually.
Well said, couldn't had said it better.

Originally Posted by flavorPacket

It's easy, it's called being responsible. I'm sorry but most people 2 years out of college can't afford a Porsche, unless you live at home or have very generous parents. I made about 80K/year two years after college and there's no way I would even drop 40K on a 80K/year salary. Can I afford it? Sure, but living in a small apt and a diet of ramen isn't what I called a good time. I brought mine at a responsible 35 years old, got my life in order, married with two kids, no debt (except for mortgage), and a comfortable savings. Different people have different priorities, I know, I've been to California where waiters drive brand new $70K BMW M3's and sharing a two bedroom apt with 2 other people.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ynot
It's easy, it's called being responsible. I'm sorry but most people 2 years out of college can't afford a Porsche, unless you live at home or have very generous parents. I made about 80K/year two years after college and there's no way I would even drop 40K on a 80K/year salary. Can I afford it? Sure, but living in a small apt and a diet of ramen isn't what I called a good time. I brought mine at a responsible 35 years old, got my life in order, married with two kids, no debt (except for mortgage), and a comfortable savings. Different people have different priorities, I know, I've been to California where waiters drive brand new $70K BMW M3's and sharing a two bedroom apt with 2 other people.
If you feel better because you waited longer to get yours, cool. I wouldn't feel better because I've spent the better part of my life lusting after this car, and that's all I'm trying to say. Every day that I did not own this car was worse than every day that I have owned it.

But that's hardly the point of this thread. I thought we were talking about overcoming the voices in our heads that make us feel guilty for smiling every time we start our cars. I pretty much always have a sh**-eating grin, and I hope you do too...

Last edited by flavorPacket; 07-20-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: realized there's no need to be a dick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?