997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
I would agree that we all share that grin, no matter the path taken to getting here. If it was possible, I would have liked to have a P-car at 25, but being married with our first child and still in school pretty much killed that option. To get my speed fix, I had a series of sport bikes and finally realized my dream of owning a Porsche in the last few months. The wait while long (youngest child started University last fall) has made the acquisition all that much sweeter.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the question was "how rich" a person should be to own a Porsche, not "how old?"

Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by flavorPacket
If you feel better because you waited longer to get yours, cool. I wouldn't feel better because I've spent the better part of my life lusting after this car, and that's all I'm trying to say. Every day that I did not own this car was worse than every day that I have owned it.
it has nothing to do with feeling better.
he's just saying he doesn't want to be like this:

Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 AM
mondego will become famous soon enough
It's interesting there are several comments pertaining to "living in an apartment" but having a 911.

...I live in an apartment, and it's not even a nice one at that!

Heck, I even have my kid brother staying in the living room while he gets back on his feet. Definitely not a "glamorous" arrangement.

An even bigger irony is that I run a real estate and finance company.

I am moving in a few weeks to the beach (still renting), but mainly because I can't stand not having free reign of the living room. The bottom line is I'm not absorbed with caring too much of what people think of my home. For that matter, what they think of my car either. I'm sure there are people in my apartment complex that must think I'm the biggest idiot on planet.

But so what? I am comfortable with my decision. It's about what makes each of us happy individually. I have a 911 S (got it at 29, I'm now 31) and it's singlehandedly the greatest thing I have ever purchased. I've put 40,000 miles on it in under 2 years, it's just so much fun (but everyone here knows that). My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner!

It's very difficult to categorize people into being responsible. I can rent a great 3 bedroom house on the beach for $2,800 a month, or put $200,000 down in a declining real estate market for a similar home and still have a $4500 -$5000 payment (PITI) -- I'd rather have the cash and be able to stick and move with this crazy economy. Eventually I will buy something when the time is right. But there are others who feel the right time is now. I don't fault them, they shouldn't fault me. If we all had a crystal ball we'd make the same decision.

Everything in life is a tradeoff. I could have about $30,000 more in the bank if I had bought a Honda. But I wouldn't be having nearly as much fun. When I stop to get gas, the random ten year old kid wouldn't say, "nice car man!" I wouldn't get to see how excited they are when I tell them they can sit in the drivers seat if they like. Taking friends and family out for a drive, or those that aren't quite able to afford one yet (or maybe never will) is unbelievably fun. You don't get that with a Honda. To me, that's worth $30,000.

There's a saying I'm very fond of, "Everything in moderation, including moderation." Sometimes it's the right move to treat yourself!

Granted, I can afford to buy a house and have sufficient savings in the bank. For someone that literally is pay check to pay check, it's probably not a good idea, unless they have a terminal illness or something along those lines. See, there's almost always an exception to every rule! I try not to judge the decisions of others and only hope that whatever someone decides, that it works out for them. If it doesn't, all we can do is be there for them to help pick 'em back up.

To the original poster, it's great that you ended up buying the car. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM
150shot is on a distinguished road
Mondego- that is a great post. I would love to conitnue on and give more insight just not enough time and wanted to compliment you on your outlook!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Comet
My oldest daughter lived in a trailer home for a few months before getting an apartment. I went to visit her, and somebody snapped a pic of my car in her driveway, stating something similar...

Your point was taken.

Who gives a crap, though, really? If my son buys a $24k 996 911 out of high school, delivering pizzas, then great. They aren't that expensive anymore. Or better yet, a $12k Boxster... It's not like we're talking about a $30k BMW or anything.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:16 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
This is a silly thread, I can't believe its still alive:

The answer: You are never rich enough, plain and simple.

Last edited by VID997; 07-21-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 PM
p's pcar will become famous soon enoughp's pcar will become famous soon enough
This thread reminds me of the kid who got a Boxster by various trades through craigslist starting with his old cell phone.

http://www.autointhenews.com/teen-tr...he-in-2-years/

Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
According to another thread here, you have to make 25k/year without benefits.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:11 AM
997.1 is on a distinguished road
I got mine at 23 via student loans (professional school). Im 25 now. Still w/o job nor income. Beat that.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Your point was taken.

Who gives a crap, though, really? If my son buys a $24k 996 911 out of high school, delivering pizzas, then great. They aren't that expensive anymore. Or better yet, a $12k Boxster... It's not like we're talking about a $30k BMW or anything.
24k for a 996? really? that's hell cheap.. funny how a 993 is worth more than that lol

Originally Posted by VID997
This is a silly thread, I can't believe its still alive:

The answer: You are never rich enough, plain and simple.
This :P

Originally Posted by 997.1
I got mine at 23 via student loans (professional school). Im 25 now. Still w/o job nor income. Beat that.
Nothing to be proud of, friend...

Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
I am not rich, but I do make a decent income. We put aside about $40k a year, don't carry any debt beyond mortgage and cars, so I'm comfortable with spending all the excess.

Besides, @ 1.99% financing (payment is ~$1500) my cash is doing a much better job elsewhere.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997.1
Priorities, you ain't got none Drowning in student loan is not the way to live.

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I am not rich, but I do make a decent income. We put aside about $40k a year, don't carry any debt beyond mortgage and cars, so I'm comfortable with spending all the excess.

Besides, @ 1.99% financing (payment is ~$1500) my cash is doing a much better job elsewhere.
You and I both. Not rich either but do have a significant amount of savings. 90% of my friends/family are entrepreneurs but I chose to work for Corporate America, less stress, more time with family and a decent income. Although I do have enough cash to pay for it outright. I financed mine at a low interest rate. I rather have that money sitting in my bank instead of the dealers.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ynot
90% of my friends/family are entrepreneurs but I chose to work for Corporate America, less stress, more time with family and a decent income. Although I do have enough cash to pay for it outright. I financed mine at a low interest rate. I rather have that money sitting in my bank instead of the dealers.
This is me and the wife. I see my kids every morning and I'm done every day @ 5, plus I work from home. Not the most glamorous job, but it suits my lifestyle.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 AM
986WANG is on a distinguished road
Similar questions get asked around my profession. As doctors approach their mid to late 30s, questions and gossips get thrown around. Has he bought that Porsche yet? Got a divorce? Date the new drug rep? As doctors approach their mid 40s to early 50s... Has he finally bought that Ferrari? Married the trophy wife? Paid off the child support?
Cars are objects most identifiable by the public. Very few people will know where one lives, what kind of schools one sends their kids to, what kind of watch one wears. Cars in the parking lot become the object of hot gossip. My lowly Lotus Elise has been mistakened by many nurses and doctors as a Lamborghini and become the topic of many gossips down the line. People tend not to talk about houses, vacations, watches, or other luxury items.....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?