997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
you guys realize this was posted 2 years ago right?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
Before money?

Before 911's?

I think it is all very relevant years ago, as it is today. Does not make anything here less true.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:10 AM
MotoTrojan911 is on a distinguished road
Didn't stop me from enjoying reading the entire thing .

Lots of info in here is hitting close to home for me. I don't know exactly when I will be picking up my 997 Carrera (possibly an S) but I do know that I can't stop thinking about it, hence why I spend so much time on this forum now!

I can't admit to being a lifetime Porsche fan... to be honest a month ago I thought I wanted a 135i/335i coupe... But I have been a longtime fan of all things Porsche represents; subtle but beautiful design, and a great blend between reliability and raw performance. I settled on the 911 route after plenty of online research comparing various sports cars, as well as the fact that my father recently picked up a mint 2003 Carrera which I have enjoyed riding shotgun in.

I will be graduating in May and going to work in July making upper-mid 5 figures in the aerospace field. I am most likely accepting an offer back in my home city, and plan to stay at home with the family for a bit, to save some $$$ and spend as much time with them as possible, before renting my own place.

If I go that route, I feel comfortable that shortly after starting work I could handle a payment on a early 997 CPO, while still saving money for other things, including maintenance and insurance. Sure, I would probably enjoy a 996 and save a few bucks. Or I could get a cheaper sports car (Miata, old BMW etc...) and use that for a few years... But at the same time, I feel like my plan has some merit to it. By getting a CPO I am protecting myself from a potentially crippling financial situation (IMS failure for example) before I have saved much up. Also, getting another brand and waiting will just be more $$$ in the end, and time spent not enjoying what I am truly lusting after.

But perhaps this is just an immature young mans way of justifying a luxury ? Who knows...

The image issue (especially at work) does come into play however, but I agree it is all about how you present it, and I think many may be amazed at how reasonably affordable a used Porsche can be.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this purchase would also likely save some money I would've spent in the 2 wheel world! I have ridden a Buell XB12Ss since I bought it new in 2009 and if there wasn't a shiny European sports car in my driveway it would probably mean the replacement of that Buell with a new street/track toy, when it is currently capable of satisfying both of those needs!

Last edited by MotoTrojan911; 12-29-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Please think hard about where you want to be financially in the future. If I were you I would get the job, buy something cheap, new and reliable that will have very minimal maintenance costs, and start saving for a home first before a used 911.

No doubt the 997 will be the fun and cool way to go, as we all know, but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying such an expensive depreciating asset at your point in life. I believe it was Dan on this forum who likes to remind us that although you only paid $50k for the car... It's still a $100 car and maintenance and costs of owning one is inline with the latter. Tires, breaks, not to mention mechanical issues are more expensive than a honda.

Take your time and establish a secure financial footing and then buy the toys.
Personally, I paid cash for my 997 and could never justify making payments on one unless the finance rates were so low that I was able to justify using that cash in the market to offset the interest.

Now, that's what I would do. If you don't take my advice then good luck on the hunt and don't forget to post pictures and join the PCA and start getting on the track ;-)

Originally Posted by MotoTrojan911

Lots of info in here is hitting close to home for me. I don't know exactly when I will be picking up my 997 Carrera (possibly an S) but I do know that I can't stop thinking about it, hence why I spend so much time on this forum now!

I can't admit to being a lifetime Porsche fan... to be honest a month ago I thought I wanted a 135i/335i coupe... But I have been a longtime fan of all things Porsche represents; subtle but beautiful design, and a great blend between reliability and raw performance. I settled on the 911 route after plenty of online research comparing various sports cars, as well as the fact that my father recently picked up a mint 2003 Carrera which I have enjoyed riding shotgun in.

I will be graduating in May and going to work in July making upper-mid 5 figures in the aerospace field. I am most likely accepting an offer back in my home city, and plan to stay at home with the family for a bit, to save some $$$ and spend as much time with them as possible, before renting my own place.

If I go that route, I feel comfortable that shortly after starting work I could handle a payment on a early 997 CPO, while still saving money for other things, including maintenance and insurance. Sure, I would probably enjoy a 996 and save a few bucks. Or I could get a cheaper sports car (Miata, old BMW etc...) and use that for a few years... But at the same time, I feel like my plan has some merit to it. By getting a CPO I am protecting myself from a potentially crippling financial situation (IMS failure for example) before I have saved much up. Also, getting another brand and waiting will just be more $$$ in the end, and time spent not enjoying what I am truly lusting after.

But perhaps this is just an immature young mans way of justifying a luxury ? Who knows...

The image issue (especially at work) does come into play however, but I agree it is all about how you present it, and I think many may be amazed at how reasonably affordable a used Porsche can be.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this purchase would also likely save some money I would've spent in the 2 wheel world! I have ridden a Buell XB12Ss since I bought it new in 2009 and if there wasn't a shiny European sports car in my driveway it would probably mean the replacement of that Buell with a new street/track toy, when it is currently capable of satisfying both of those needs!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Absolutely something that requires more thought. While maintenance is up there, it's not well above many people's hobby (or obsession) thresholds, and as someone who averages 2,500 miles per set of tires on my 2 wheel two, performance vehicle consumables are less of a luxury and more like air to me. What's the point in making all that money if you can't have a little fun? Especially on the way to work!

Mechanicals are the big scary unknown, but that is why I wanted to go the CPO route. I've got time to ponder...

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Please think hard about where you want to be financially in the future. If I were you I would get the job, buy something cheap, new and reliable that will have very minimal maintenance costs, and start saving for a home first before a used 911.

No doubt the 997 will be the fun and cool way to go, as we all know, but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying such an expensive depreciating asset at your point in life. I believe it was Dan on this forum who likes to remind us that although you only paid $50k for the car... It's still a $100 car and maintenance and costs of owning one is inline with the latter. Tires, breaks, not to mention mechanical issues are more expensive than a honda.

Take your time and establish a secure financial footing and then buy the toys.
Personally, I paid cash for my 997 and could never justify making payments on one unless the finance rates were so low that I was able to justify using that cash in the market to offset the interest.

Now, that's what I would do. If you don't take my advice then good luck on the hunt and don't forget to post pictures and join the PCA and start getting on the track ;-)

Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
Go for it if you can afford it. Life is short and you will never know when is your turn to go.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about

It's one thing to bring back the thread to reflect on it. It's another to tell the OP to buy a porsche now even though he did buy one two years ago...

Old 12-29-2013, 11:12 AM
loscorpione2 is on a distinguished road
as long as you aren't going overboard, maybe going for it is the best move now

Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM
It's one thing to bring back the thread to reflect on it. It's another to tell the OP to buy a porsche now even though he did buy one two years ago...
Exactly. Some people explore the world for a year. I'm easier to satisfy, just give me a sports car. Sure it's more expensive than travel but I can work at the same time .

Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 PM
SaraJane is on a distinguished road
Why so worried

Why are you so worried about what other people think of you? It makes you sound very insecure - just grow a set and go buy one if it makes you happy - life is too short to worry about what others think - within reason of course, I'm not advocating going out and murdering or hurting someone, but buying a car? what harm can it do? just get what you like and f*** what everyone else thinks. .

Old 12-22-2014, 05:52 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SaraJane
Why are you so worried about what other people think of you? It makes you sound very insecure - just grow a set and go buy one if it makes you happy - life is too short to worry about what others think - within reason of course, I'm not advocating going out and murdering or hurting someone, but buying a car? what harm can it do? just get what you like and f*** what everyone else thinks. .
Hope he resolved his issues by now...the last post was almost a year ago.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:38 PM
flyingturtle will become famous soon enough
Every Holiday Season this thread shall come back...

Old 12-23-2014, 09:00 AM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
Its good that you are getting roommates to help save you money. Will you have a code to let them know you've brought a girl home from the club?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:49 AM
it's been three years since he bought a 911

Old 12-23-2014, 10:47 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Very, very, obscenely rich.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?