997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:11 AM
9114Scab will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by lbc4s
Doesn't matter what people think. People that love cars will get it and people that complain are jealous. Get a Porsche and enjoy it. You can own a Porsche and be a jerk and own a tan camry and be a jerk. People will react to the vibe that you put out. One of the most important lessons you will learn in life is who cares what people think if you are being true to yourself.

Amen my brother!!! lol

Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Jpara98 is on a distinguished road
19 pages of posts.... Not a bad thread. However, there is a term called confirmation bias....basically it's human nature to seek out info that supports our point of view or desires. So, I admit that I only read about 3 pages of posts but i have to think that not one reply said "don't get it".

I've wanted a 911 since I was 6 years old. I'm now 39 and bought my first porsche last year and it is a dream come true ( artic silver 997.1 C4). It's never been about the name or status, it's always been about performance, the design and the pure simple beauty. To hell with what others think. I finally bought it bacause I found a great car that fit my budget and I had the cash to pay in full, without putting my family in financial risk. I'm a stickler for minimizing expenses, but life is to be enjoyed and not everything can be an investment. Although I did start out looking for a 964 project car.

So the other day I go to lunch and in the parking lot is a brand new Cayman S in artic silver. Gorgeous car! I walk around it a few time and check it out, peeked in the window and wheel wells, under the rear and across The wheel wells. Up walked an 90 year old man and unlocked the car. I told him that the car is absolutely beautiful and he told me it was his baby and life long dream. We talked for about an hour about cars and life. I finally got my Thai chicken wrap from tropical smoothie and I couldn't help feeling happy for the old guy that he was able to enjoy the car even so late in life. I also realized how lucky I am to enjoy it so early in life.

I'll tell you this, The more time you spend on this website not only will you want the car but all of the upgrades and improvements. My wish list of add-ons is at about $10,000 after only seven months of ownership.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:05 PM
golfnutintib is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jpara98
19 pages of posts.... Not a bad thread. However, there is a term called confirmation bias....basically it's human nature to seek out info that supports our point of view or desires. So, I admit that I only read about 3 pages of posts but i have to think that not one reply said "don't get it".

I've wanted a 911 since I was 6 years old. I'm now 39 and bought my first porsche last year and it is a dream come true ( artic silver 997.1 C4). It's never been about the name or status, it's always been about performance, the design and the pure simple beauty. To hell with what others think. I finally bought it bacause I found a great car that fit my budget and I had the cash to pay in full, without putting my family in financial risk. I'm a stickler for minimizing expenses, but life is to be enjoyed and not everything can be an investment. Although I did start out looking for a 964 project car.

So the other day I go to lunch and in the parking lot is a brand new Cayman S in artic silver. Gorgeous car! I walk around it a few time and check it out, peeked in the window and wheel wells, under the rear and across The wheel wells. Up walked an 90 year old man and unlocked the car. I told him that the car is absolutely beautiful and he told me it was his baby and life long dream. We talked for about an hour about cars and life. I finally got my Thai chicken wrap from tropical smoothie and I couldn't help feeling happy for the old guy that he was able to enjoy the car even so late in life. I also realized how lucky I am to enjoy it so early in life.

I'll tell you this, The more time you spend on this website not only will you want the car but all of the upgrades and improvements. My wish list of add-ons is at about $10,000 after only seven months of ownership.
I don't know where the heck Paradiso is but this was a very nice contribution to the forum...probably the best post in this seemingly ridiculous 19-page thread that just won't die!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 PM
golfnutintib is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MrPrice
This is a topic that seems to come up on many car forums, whether it be Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. It usually is either how rich you should or need to be to own something or how to be successful in life or what is success. Because of all the cars I've owned and other reasons people assume I must be a success in life, also the fact that I happen to have a tall blond model gorgeous women in my life also seems to make them think that way as well.

I used to think success was doing everything people told me I could not do and for the most part from writing novels (working on my third right now) to designing and patenting parts and systems for cars as well as owning multiple companies you could say I made it. Then I realized that is not success at all. Being a great dad to my kids (both hers and mine) being a great partner to the women I love and most of all giving back something to the world instead of just taking up space in it. In other words I have learned money is not what makes you successful, it might make you rich but success, well that is for each of us to decide what that is and for me it's not driving a Porsche, or a Ferrari, or any car.
Mr. Price - sage words. But I like Porsches and Ferraris too...that's ok right? Hee hee

Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 PM
23109(a)VC is on a distinguished road
You only live once. If you can afford, do it and don't look back.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:45 AM
stockid will become famous soon enoughstockid will become famous soon enough
Like the song says

If it makes you happy.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:59 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Mr. Price - sage words. But I like Porsches and Ferraris too...that's ok right? Hee hee

Yes Ferrari's are wonderful though for me after the 430 (my last Ferrari which was a gearshift coupe) their cars lost their appeal for me. I prefer the sound of that metal gearshift bracket and the feel of that shifter (I had a custom gearshift **** made that was weighted) in my hands. I still have it since one of these days I will buy another 430. I may be old (or older) now but still love cars (I bought 2 650i's for her a conv, and me a coupe) in the last 90 days. I wrote this when I was signing books one day and I try and live by it. May every step you take in life be better than the one before it.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 PM
jeffkilly is on a distinguished road
I do not have the patience to read all pages, so I apologize if this was already written.

It is not about being rich enough, it is about being wise enough to know how great it is to drive a Porsche! Topic closed.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:43 AM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
I'm actually rather surprised with how much attention my old silver 911 has gotten me in the past two months (90% positive). I chose silver as I wanted something understated, but simultaneously tasteful. However it seems that nearly everywhere I go, people seem to notice the car; kids at the gas station, people in traffic, clients at work, etc. The only car I've owned that got more attention was my Datsun 240Z (everyone loves a good classic!). I have had much flashier cars that got much less positive attention; the 911 is just so well known I guess. I chose the car more for its performance and quality than anything else, but I don't mind looking a little wealthier than I actually am. I work my butt off and my income isn't where I'd like it to be yet, but why not at least look the part in the meantime? Worst case scenario I never make any more money than I do now, but I keep this little Porsche forever; a very wealthy man once told me: you'll never be rich enough to buy cheap things.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 PM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
And I'm beginning to wonder how many people here have leased their car or actually bought it?

Or does that actually even matter?

Old 07-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Szymon Kowalczyk is on a distinguished road
200K what? dollars or pessos?

With $200K income you can afford to drive a brand new GTS and trade it every 6mos for a newer one..........

Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Szymon Kowalczyk

With $200K income you can afford to drive a brand new GTS and trade it every 6mos for a newer one..........
Not if your married or have kids !!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:43 PM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
No, Not even close. $200k income is not that much money. After taxes and 401k savings and insurance you will have much less then the price of one 911 much less then 2x a year.

Then no food,, no gas, no garage or house to keep new cars. You would need a $150,000k initial car budget and a $50k recurring to buy two new GTS a year.

Originally Posted by Szymon
Kowalczyk;4369134

Old 07-10-2015, 11:54 PM
inetforce is on a distinguished road
Old post but worth every word members have shared. Its been 4 years now, I assume you own a Porsche by now.

You have weird websites that produce money? You are an entrepreneur. You have courage, drive and intuition among other qualities. Acknowledge who you are and move forward with enough confidence, but not too much, do not send the wrong message to others who see you at their inspiration or send your current project to failure because of stupidity.

Get the car you want, when you want it. The chances of you making a bad decision are very slim, and even if you make a mistake, my gut tells me you will fix it. If you fail at what you do today, you will find another way of producing money.

Do let live remind you how short it is, the chances are that at the time you get reminded it will be too late for you to do anything about it.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:18 AM
barbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by soccerTOOLsu
No, Not even close. $200k income is not that much money. After taxes and 401k savings and insurance you will have much less then the price of one 911 much less then 2x a year.

Then no food,, no gas, no garage or house to keep new cars. You would need a $150,000k initial car budget and a $50k recurring to buy two new GTS a year.
He said you can afford to "drive" a GTS not buy one outright with cash. You most certainly can afford to buy (finance) or lease a GTS on a $200k salary.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?