997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:18 AM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
$200k before or after tax?

Old 07-11-2015, 06:22 PM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
The Thread is on "owning" a Porsche. He did say "a brand new GTS and trade it every 6mos for a newer one.........."

Of course I understand that "owning" can be used subjectively to mean "driving" a Pcar.

Originally Posted by barbancourt
He said you can afford to "drive" a GTS not buy one outright with cash. You most certainly can afford to buy (finance) or lease a GTS on a $200k salary.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:19 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Szymon Kowalczyk
200K what? dollars or pessos?

With $200K income you can afford to drive a brand new GTS and trade it every 6mos for a newer one..........
Not if you own a decent upper-Ish class property in a any of the world class cities. But with a condo that costed the OP 150k, imo he can afford one np... I mean if he wanted to he could own the title to his condo in 1.5-2 years ... And from them on he pretty much has no real bills.

Last edited by myw; 07-11-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:20 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by soccerTOOLsu
No, Not even close. $200k income is not that much money. After taxes and 401k savings and insurance you will have much less then the price of one 911 much less then 2x a year.

Then no food,, no gas, no garage or house to keep new cars. You would need a $150,000k initial car budget and a $50k recurring to buy two new GTS a year.
Bingo.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Jcsomerv is on a distinguished road

Agreed $200K is not even close. If you have a family, a house, don't cheat on taxes, putting some money away for retirement and schooling, etc you would need at least double that to "afford" 1 new 911 GTS IMO. The one caveat is that "afford" means different things to different people - some are much more comfortable spending a disproportionate amount of their income on a car or they are single with no other obligations etc.

Last edited by Jcsomerv; 07-12-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:58 PM
dc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nice
Agreed $200k is not enough for a new 911 GTS...unless you're single and don't mind blowing all of your money on your car. I can barely afford a second-hand 997 C2S, but I have a significant other and a dog.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:04 AM
barbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dc2000
Agreed $200k is not enough for a new 911 GTS...unless you're single and don't mind blowing all of your money on your car. I can barely afford a second-hand 997 C2S, but I have a significant other and a dog.
What?

A $200k salary is not enough to afford a 911 GTS? $16,667K per month (before taxes) is not enough?

Surely you're not serious. You can easily afford a GTS on that salary.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:23 AM
dc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nicedc2000 is just really nice
Originally Posted by barbancourt
What?

A $200k salary is not enough to afford a 911 GTS? $16,667K per month (before taxes) is not enough?

Surely you're not serious. You can easily afford a GTS on that salary.
Again, you could afford it if you were single and don't mind spending a lot of your money on a car. Here's an example for the case of the single guy:

Before Tax: $17k
After Tax = $10k after taxes (state dependent of course)
Rent = ($2000)
Living = ($2000)
Other Bills = ($1500)
Remaining = $4500

Sure you could spend the rest on a car and save whatever you have left, but this isn't a smart financial move. And...if you have to support a significant other or an entire family, you can kiss any cash leftover bye bye

Old 07-14-2015, 05:38 AM
Jcsomerv is on a distinguished road

Another way to look at it is a new GTS is $150k (I'm assuming our glamour boy/girl couldn't possibly make due with no options on his mode of transport so they loaded her up and let's not forget the sales tax and transaction costs) is pushing $250k at the marginal income tax rate of someone earning $200k annually. (Income taxes may differ depending on your locale but my point holds regardless). Anybody willing to spend more than a year's salary on one car may make a good salary but is not, and never will be "rich". The original thread is "how rich do you have to be?". No rich people I know spend money this way cause if they did they don't stay rich for long! Rich people get rich by putting their money into appreciating assets not depreciating assets. So the final answer is... $200k annual salary is not enough for a financially prudent individual (aka rich or working towards rich) to justify a GTS.

Last edited by Jcsomerv; 07-14-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:23 AM
myw
spoken like thomas j stanley!

Originally Posted by Jcsomerv
Another way to look at it is a new GTS is $150k (I'm assuming our glamour boy/girl couldn't possibly make due with no options on his mode of transport so they loaded her up and let's not forget the sales tax and transaction costs) is pushing $250k at the marginal income tax rate of someone earning $200k annually. (Income taxes may differ depending on your locale but my point holds regardless). Anybody willing to spend more than a year's salary on one car may make a good salary but is not, and never will be "rich". The original thread is "how rich do you have to be?". No rich people I know spend money this way cause if they did they don't stay rich for long! Rich people get rich by putting their money into appreciating assets not depreciating assets. So the final answer is... $200k annual salary is not enough for a financially prudent individual (aka rich or working towards rich) to justify a GTS.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 PM
kcheves is on a distinguished road
Pay yourself first, then buy what makes sense with what is left over. With a gross of $200K, I'd be looking at a clean used 997S for < $65K, and plan on keeping it for 4 or more years.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:56 PM
rlddlr53 is on a distinguished road
You should own a Porsche for reasons other than being rich Driving experience?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:21 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dc2000
Again, you could afford it if you were single and don't mind spending a lot of your money on a car. Here's an example for the case of the single guy:

Before Tax: $17k
After Tax = $10k after taxes (state dependent of course)
Rent = ($2000)
Living = ($2000)
Other Bills = ($1500)
Remaining = $4500

Sure you could spend the rest on a car and save whatever you have left, but this isn't a smart financial move. And...if you have to support a significant other or an entire family, you can kiss any cash leftover bye bye
Holy crap, I love living in NC. Your numbers are more than double what I need. I got my first 911 when I was making less than $40k/yr.

Like was said earlier, it all depends on your priorities.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:34 PM
sleepy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Holy crap, I love living in NC. Your numbers are more than double what I need. I got my first 911 when I was making less than $40k/yr.

Like was said earlier, it all depends on your priorities.
I live in the expensive Bay Area but I don't see myself spending that much on living expense either. Like you said, it all depends on personal priorities.

Some people can't live without $60 monthly TV bill or dining out every weekend. But that's just not me; I started saving for a Porsche since I graduated school, and I'm doing fine owning a Porsche with way less than $200k in Bay Area.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM
DougNuts is on a distinguished road
I haven't owned a Porsche, but it seems to me that if the car is out of warranty, you should be able to cover a $15k repair. That's all there is to it, if you can do that, you'll be fine. If not, I'd recommend careful consideration.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?