997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Old 05-28-2011, 01:26 AM
J.Seven is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KK Moto
I spend some time in finance and investments forums (not the 6S one).
Can you give me those sites address. Thanks in advance.

As to the original thread, I just have to say the following:
A friend of mine died last week with a heart attack. 46 years old looking 36, Architect, married, two kids, a 7 year old girl and 10 yeard old boy. Went to bad, and wife found him dead few hours later !!! Unbelieveble.

Forget about the poor mentality we all have in our societies, the more people think like this, the poor our society become, letīs be free, respect each other and be happy with the next guy success.

There is so much more in a car than what people think about it or its ownership !!!! Itīs almost a work of art, the process to have it done is amazing, the metal beautiful shape it takes that in some case makes it imortal, the projects, the engineering behind every little piece, the testings, the hardware & software is behond real, a car itīs pure emotions on four wheels, and what can make you feel more human, than feeling emotions !!!

Please, buy your Porsche or any other toy that makes you happy and have lots of fun with it, live your life now the way is meant to be lived...and have lots of fun with it.

Last edited by J.Seven; 05-28-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by movingup
According to one statistic I saw somewhere says average carrera owner's annual household income is around 350k.
The thing is u can buy a carrera with ur gross income of 200k . Howeve, what about all other things general public expect from a Porsche owner. Neighborhood, restaurants, shopping, travel etc.
In order to do those things, u need around 400k / yr

At least that's what I think. Nothing more embarrassing than drive carrera to 99cent store. That's what stopping me from getting f458, even though I can afford f458's purchase price.

Forbes perhaps? http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...e-Opposite-Sex

Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 AM
movingup is on a distinguished road
Ok how about this?
A guy lives in a condo worth 150k and drives a100k + car?
There is a term for people like that . I won't say it here.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Ok how about this?
Please share that term with me.

I have a 5 bedroom house that is worth about $150k. $120k was my range when looking for a new car. What would you call me?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:00 AM
movingup is on a distinguished road
I'd call u Jasper. Come on man. I am talking generality here. I live in sf . Where average homes push a million. In this neighborhood, imagine if u live in a home worth 150k if u can find one and drive 100k car, how odd is that?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I'd call u Jasper. Come on man. I am talking generality here. I live in sf . Where average homes push a million. In this neighborhood, imagine if u live in a home worth 150k if u can find one and drive 100k car, how odd is that?
I know, I just found it odd that you used a specific dollar amount as a qualifier without location. I understand your point.

As a side note - I love this area. Houses are dirt cheap (along with the cost of living). This is why people with military retirements and disability pensions live in these types of areas. I could live comfortably for the rest of my years.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM
MagnusB is on a distinguished road
What are you waiting for??
Life is way too short to second guess like that, just get one.
I can guarantee you will NOT regret it.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by MagnusB
What are you waiting for??
Life is way too short to second guess like that, just get one.
I can guarantee you will NOT regret it.
He didn't wait too long... He already bought the car.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 AM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
There are only 2 things I've bought in my life (I'm 49) that were really, really worth every penny of their very high price, both in terms of quality workmanship and enjoyment--

my Porsche, and my Bosendorfer.

Last edited by hockeyguy4u; 05-29-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:14 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Ok how about this?
I see nothing wrong with this, it's about priorities. If someone loves cars and cares more than anything and that's their dream then why does one have to have a million $ home before they can own a Ferrari or Porsche?

I bought my 911,Cayman, M3 all cash and I can assure you that I earn nowhere near $400k a year, especially since I'm back in medical school. I own my own house too but I fail to see the point in working simply to pay a $10k a month mortgage that so many of the people I know do.

Now I agree some people credit to the hilt and genuinely can't afford it but there are some of us that don't want a 6000 sqft home and are happy with a condo and all the toys

Old 05-29-2011, 04:11 PM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
There are only 2 things I've bought in my life (I'm 49) that were really, really worth every penny of their very high price, both in terms of quality workmanship and enjoyment--

my Porsche, and my Bosendorfer.

who else had to Google Bosendorfer besides me....
Congrats Hockey...hey we earned it ...Everyone reaches a point to where they can start to enjoy things ... I mean all work and no play make Jack a dull boy......Our's just happen to be more visible to the public...I mean be it art collections,coins,foodies, memorabilia, music, rare wines, watches, clothing , jets, boats...whatever...mines cars and again a little more obvious to the public...I'm pretty simple and under the radar other wise...oh...and nice homes to...

Old 05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not sure exactly what term you're referring to regarding the OP, but I believe the exact same term would apply to the folks in California who put down less than 20% on their million dollar homes, get a 3 in 1 ARM in order to keep the interest rate low, and then pay over half of their monthly net income on a home payment.
I don't think it was the stretching of monthly payments of P-car buyers that got our country into our banking crisis.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 PM
element256 will become famous soon enoughelement256 will become famous soon enough
When people ask me what I do for a living my response is "I make money in whatever avenues possible."
Thinking outside the box will let you realize that you can have a 550hp supercar for $45k with around 30,000 miles on it OR for the same price you can buy a new Chevy Tahoe and be bored again.
Regardless of what people think about you, you should be proud that you have saved up your money and lived well within your means to be able to buy one outright.
Most people just keep upgrading and increasing their debt to try and stay ahead of their neighbors and in the end they own nothing and have nothing but a bunch of high monthly payments that make them miserable no matter what possessions they surround themselves with.

Live well, be proud and have fun. Life is pretty short, especially the premier years of it which you are in right now so take advantage of your situation and make sure you don't forget to setup your future.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
BigEasy25 is on a distinguished road
not sure if I missed it or not but am curious as to what these "weird websites" are...

Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Ok how about this?
I still rent and drive a 911.
I am sure people call me all sorts of things. I thought about it, but in the end I just don't care. Random people probably think I have a rich dad. Acquaintances probably think im stupid. And my few close family and friends are indifferent about what I drive.
Every once in a while someone will try to lecture me about finance. They tell me about depreciation, investments, and interest rates (regurgitation of a cnbc/money article). Then I tell them that they are right. My profession is to optimize those numbers for clients, but in my personal finances I optimize more qualitative factors (utility). I have no use for a house at the moment.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?