997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

I am embarrassed to type this question on here.

Its naive, and perhaps insulting... and immature.

But I have to ask it.

I am a 31 year old guy, a little immature..young looking.. not yet married, and make around 200 a year. I live in a 150k condo, nothing that brings me in much debt at all. I have no kids and a GF that pays for a lot of stuff herself (hehe).

I am an internet entrepreneur that kind of has some weird websites going that make my income. I do not have a reliable profession.

I currently drive a 2004 3 series BMW that is kind of dated and is kind of boring me. It has over 100k miles, and is probably worth 8k.

I have a lot of money saved up, and I am just kind of bored. I want to get a toy. I was just about to buy a Carrera S but backed out, because I felt insecure about my income stream.. and.. ultimately.. I guess the image of driving a Porsche.

You see, I do not want people to see me and think I am driving a 100k car (I was looking at spending 40-45k on a porsche, which wouldn't be a big deal at all) and that I am likely a millionaire. Because I am not.

Do not get me wrong, I want to look good.

But ultimately I want a stylish toy that I love driving.

But I really cannot make up my mind on this. I feel it makes perhaps too bold of a statement for me, a younger person , driving a porsche around.. yet at the same tiem I find them kind of low key. They are not Ferrari.

Perhaps it also depends on where you live. Seems like everyone in LA drives them.

I dont know, I really hope this doesn't offend anyone. <--- But perhaps me saying that is the source of my problem -- I care too much about people judging me.

Last edited by Luciddaydream; 05-25-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Porsches are very affordable relative to other cars in their class. You make enough to afford one. You seem reasonable enough and are not stretching beyond your means. Don't worry what others think and get yourself a toy.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks for your feedback, very kind of you.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
I'm 31 and felt your pain... if you can call it that. I didn't want people to get a wrong impression of me at work or how much money I make (which is less than what they may think). This was a big concern of mine until I found my AWESOME 997S! LOL

So in the end I do not think that too many people really care, or they don't let it be known... the ones that ask: "Did you really just get a Porsche!?" I quietly say: "Yes, but it is that old and cheap model, I would never get an expensive Porsche." That response usually leads any further interest in my purchase astray. I just tell people I drive a cheap Porsche and hope they believe me. Most do believe it or not!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 PM
DirtyVegas -- EXACTLY. Yes its a let down for people to think you make MORE than you do.

I was thinking of saying the same thing. 40-45k for a used car isn't really that ridiculous.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Yup, I wouldn't worry about it. Seems there are plenty P cars where you are from. As long as you play the entire scenario 'down' instead of busting into the office waving your keys around, I think you will be fine. Now go out there and get yourself a Porsche young man!

Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
DirtyVegas -- EXACTLY. Yes its a let down for people to think you make MORE than you do.

I was thinking of saying the same thing. 40-45k for a used car isn't really that ridiculous.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Well, I work from home. And I kind of have some weird websites I do not like showing people. So maybe driving this thing around might cause more people to ask me what I do.

But thank you, I am glad other people have felt similiar

Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
The older you get the more you'll realize that life isn't fair. Some people will hate you for your luck in life and others will aspire to be like you. You can't let others dictate what you do, life is too short for that.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Yes, I have realized that in recent years.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Werd. What he said, and the only reason he is so wise is because he has my car in Silver!

Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
The older you get the more you'll realize that life isn't fair. Some people will hate you for your luck in life and others will aspire to be like you. You can't let others dictate what you do, life is too short for that.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
Werd. What he said, and the only reason he is so wise is because he has my car in Silver!
LOL, my car looks good in white!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
As long as you have the cash and it won't affect your lifestyle, you are old enough to drive one. You sound more mature than many of your contemporaries! Just beware - once you drive a Porsche, other cars seem boring. You are likely making a lifetime commitment.

Read 'The Millionaire Next Door' - you'll be surprised at what millionaires drive.

From the author: "Fully 86% of people who drive luxury brands (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar and the like) are not millionaires. These brands tend to attract high earners who also are status-conscious overspenders, which prevents them from ever accumulating significant assets."

Also, I spent three years in Rochester, MN - you may want a C4S or some other all-wheel drive variant.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
200k a year and your worried about buyin a porsche? Cmonnn unless its the GT at half a milli

Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 AM
iceman912 is on a distinguished road
Get a base cayenne 50-60k. Its not as bling as a 911. Fits 5 peaople and a couple of dogs too. I think u are mature enough to be asking yourself these question. Enjoy ur life went u can afford it.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
Very well said.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?