997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Which tyre is better - Pirelli Pzero Rosso or Michelin PS2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
Which tyre is better - Pirelli Pzero Rosso or Michelin PS2?

Hi there

Right I am in the unfortunate position that my rear tyres are very low.
Currently the car is shod with Pirelli Pzero Rosso's all round which I find don't seem to be that sticky.

I'd like to hear from you guys with 911's who have experience of both Pirelli Pzero Rosso and Michelin PS2 on your cars. How did the two tyres compare, which is the better for dry/wet grip on the street?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Hi there

Right I am in the unfortunate position that my rear tyres are very low.
Currently the car is shod with Pirelli Pzero Rosso's all round which I find don't seem to be that sticky.

I'd like to hear from you guys with 911's who have experience of both Pirelli Pzero Rosso and Michelin PS2 on your cars. How did the two tyres compare, which is the better for dry/wet grip on the street?
I just replaced all 4 of my Pirelli's after 6,000 miles with Michelin Super Sports. Experienced tire guys with Hunter Road Force balance equipment could never get the Pirelli's properly balanced plus they were extremely noisy and harsh riding. Michelin SS are great!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 AM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
I will never again own another set of Pirellis. I couldn't get them balanced, always had some road "shake" at highway speeds. I've never had an issue with the Michelins, and the new Super Sports are getting great press.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
Another vote for the Michelins. I went from P-Zero Rosso's to PS2's, and there just isn't any comparison: the Michelins ride better, handle better, and last longer. It's a no-brainer.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
I think the Rosso's were one of my least favorite tires. They were loud and felt sloppy. No comparison there with the PS2.

Last edited by v35; 07-11-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
LOL to all the above responses!!! My old adage of Pirellis was it took 100 tires to find 4 that will roll true and balance out.

To the OP. I just put on Super Sports on OZ wheels. All of them took less than .25 oz and 1 of them needed no weight to balance out.

See Damon at Tirerack:

Name:  IMAG0147.jpg
Views: 4959
Size:  49.8 KB

Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
ELUSIVE will become famous soon enoughELUSIVE will become famous soon enough
Pzero Rosso's are my least favorite tire of all time. I will never buy them again. I loved my PS2's on my 987S.
I have Bridgestone REO50A's on my 997 now and they are somewhere in the middle I would say.

PS2's are it.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
Hi there

I wish I could fit super sports, but here in the UK if a car has extended warranty then N-rated tyres must be fitted or the warranty is void.

My car currently has Pirelli Pzero Rosso's which I feel are a bit sloppy and not that grippy.

I see that Pirelli's next tyre up, just the Pzero is classed as a more sporty tyre compared to the Rosso and has won several reviews.

So right now it looks like I am considering the Pzero or PS2's, but am certainly not trying the Rosso's again.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Pzero Rosso's are my least favorite tire of all time. I will never buy them again. I loved my PS2's on my 987S.
I have Bridgestone REO50A's on my 997 now and they are somewhere in the middle I would say.

PS2's are it.

How about the Pzero? As Pirelli have it rated above the Rosso and reviews recently seem to hold it in good light? Have you tried the Pzero as well or just the Rosso varient?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Diablo79 will become famous soon enough
Ss??

Guys, I was about to tell you all not to laugh at me, but I'm working on my SECOND full set of Nitto Invos on my '05 997S that I drive aggressively most of the time, in dry AND wet weather. I got about 18k miles out of my last set of rears, and up till the moment I replaced them (around 3/32nds) the grip was AMAZING for rallies, mountain twisties, and rainy NJ hell runs. I WILL say I've heard a lot of good feedback about the Supersports so far, including from my friend who drives in ALMS and Grand AM, but for cost-effective tire choices, I STRONGLY recommend the Invos!

All said, I SWORE by my original gen1 Pilot Sports, but NEVER liked the set of PS2s I started with on my '05 997S, and replaced them within a couple months with the Invos, and never looked back

Pirellis are overmarketed, overhyped, underperforming tires for street cars. They are loud, short-lasting, and not good in the wet weather, just my humble opinion

Drive fast but smart everyone!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I had both and between the 2 I prefer PS2. However... today you should consider the Michelin Pilots Super Sport instead.

I currently have Bridgestone RE050A N1 and tehy are very good and perhaps better than PS2 for street use. The new Bridgestone S04 may also be great.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Diablo79
Guys, I was about to tell you all not to laugh at me, but I'm working on my SECOND full set of Nitto Invos on my '05 997S that I drive aggressively most of the time, in dry AND wet weather. I got about 18k miles out of my last set of rears, and up till the moment I replaced them (around 3/32nds) the grip was AMAZING for rallies, mountain twisties, and rainy NJ hell runs. I WILL say I've heard a lot of good feedback about the Supersports so far, including from my friend who drives in ALMS and Grand AM, but for cost-effective tire choices, I STRONGLY recommend the Invos!

All said, I SWORE by my original gen1 Pilot Sports, but NEVER liked the set of PS2s I started with on my '05 997S, and replaced them within a couple months with the Invos, and never looked back

Pirellis are overmarketed, overhyped, underperforming tires for street cars. They are loud, short-lasting, and not good in the wet weather, just my humble opinion

Drive fast but smart everyone!
My brother has the Invos on his GTO and loves them as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Kuhl997 has a spectacular aura aboutKuhl997 has a spectacular aura about
had them both and the Pirelli's wore out quickly (12k miles) and my PS2's lasted 18kmi. Furthermore, they were the best performance tires I have had.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM
GregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to all
I had PS2 on my Targa and then replaced them with Michelin SS. My C4S came with P-Zeros and they seem fine for now, but I'm putting the SS on as soon when this summer season is over. I've got winters in storage along with a fresh set of Super Sports for next summer.

I was surprised at the nice ride of P-Zeros but I know they will get noisy and sloppy with more wear. Go with the Super Sports - you won't regret it.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
0luke1 is on a distinguished road
I replaced pzeros with PS2s on a 996 and my current 997.1 tt. No comparison - the pzeros are noisy, vibrate and are poor in the rain - and/or when it gets a little chilly in the spring/fall. The PS2s are far better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which tyre is better - Pirelli Pzero Rosso or Michelin PS2?