997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What does Sport mode really do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:58 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
I recently drove a C6 Corvette with a "sport mode" and I really could not tell the difference when it was off or on. With the Porsche you can really feel the difference.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:34 PM
jedwards is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
I press the Sport button before my car even fires up. I never drive without it unless I have sensitive passengers.
I concur entirely....

Old 10-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Chad_987 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Manifold
Wow, I'm shocked that so many people don't use sport mode as their default!
Maybe you and I are just the oddballs... I use it all the time! Almost every time I get in the car. It's not my daily driver, and I only drive it about 1-2 times a month, but I like the better response when I do. My problem is remembering to turn the traction control back on while on the highway. I don't like to have 'Porsche' driving my car, so I turn it off a lot around town and on the track.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Mhirsch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
I only used it once when I test drove the car. Haven,t used it since. I dont think I need it on daily driving. Its quick enough for me though.

I dont use my M mode in my bimmer either. I used it once in an intersection and I forgot it was on, my wheels spun and I hardly moved. Scared for a while.
Kidding Right?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:14 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FlaHeel
I recently drove a C6 Corvette with a "sport mode" and I really could not tell the difference when it was off or on. With the Porsche you can really feel the difference.
what did you expect from a 30k $ sportscar?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:15 AM
doktordyper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Manifold
Wow, I'm shocked that so many people don't use sport mode as their default!

I'll spend some time going back and forth between the two modes to better see the differences. So far, I've had the car in sport mode about 95% of the time (ie, always other than when I forgot to turn it on).
default: "sport" on 100% of the time

need to edit profile, new ride is 06' C4S...

Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikegr
what did you expect from a 30k $ sportscar?
Ignorance is bliss. The 'Sport' setting in the Vette is a suspension setting, NOT an engine setting.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by adias
Ignorance is bliss. The 'Sport' setting in the Vette is a suspension setting, NOT an engine setting.
The problem with this car is that is has a very stiff suspension due its leaf spirng technology(otherwiase performs great).
I ve never been on a C6 or Z06 with adjustable suspension so i cant tell
I think 996 and 997 offer a better handling/comfortance ratio

Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by sphinz
I always drive with it on, but I do have a question. Is it best to let the car warm up before turning it on?
Turning sport mode on your car makes no difference whether the car is warmed up or not.

What does make a BIG difference (if you plan on keeping your car a while) is making sure you let all the fluids, especially all that oil in that big, dry sump motor, warm up to operating temperature before you start giving it a lot of throttle. In my experience, even living here in S. CA, it can take several minutes and several miles of easy driving to get that oil temperature up to where it should be before you start letting that big flat 6 sing.

Back on topic... I rarely used sport mode. I found the throttle a little too twitchy with my manual transmission for the streets. I also almost never used the sport mode for the suspension... again mostly street driving.

I did; however, leave the PSE on ALL the time, except when pulling in or out of the garage if my baby son was sleeping. For me, the Carnewal, over-ride switch on my PSE was arguably the best modification I made on my car. I highly recommend it.