997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lowering 997 with factory aero package...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 PM
aweb108 is on a distinguished road
Post pictures of it on the car, besides the white on white one

Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
This is excellent information. Thanks very much.

I have my 997 in the shop this week having an aerokit front bumper installed and painted. The car has Eibach springs so I was a bit worried on how much damage the spoiler would take.

I'm just off the phone with Dawn Enterprises and they are in fact great to deal with. The cost with shipping was $49 and change. It's going to be shipped today with two day shipping.

I'm scheduled to pick the 997 up Saturday so will do my best to capture before / after and install pictures.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread. Great stuff!

Matt

PS - this is what the new bumper is going on - should balance out the ducktail.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
The door edge guards from Dawn Enterprises arrived today. I am impressed with the customer service and speed of delivery. The product looks first class. I'm picking up my car tomorrow and will be installing this once home. More pics to follow.

Best,

Matt

Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Yep, smart move buying the bulk pack too as you will use it.

Couple of quick tips... measure out a piece roughly the size you need (plus 5-6 inches extra) and snip it off the rest of roll (might want to precut a few extras too ). Hang or lay it out flat in the sun for ~ 1hr to get warmed up enough to remove packaging kinks. While it's warming, wipe down your spoiler lip well w/ denatured alcohol (IPA could work too in a pinch) to remove any oils/debris.

When ready to apply, start at one end and only pull off red protection tape about ~ 2 feet at a time. Use one hand to hold down attached edge and with the other, pull a long straight line parallel to lip then move it on. This will keep a nice straight line w/o waves. Once you make the bend around the corner to other side, trim strip to exact length needed before removing tape (too hard to get a tight cut once applied to lip). After it's on, go back over the installed strip using a roller / racquetball / something pressing the lip firmly into place.

FYI - it'll fit a little weird at the wheel well ends versus rest of lip due to bottom curve there so do a dry fit test first to make sure you know how it will lay before pulling off the red tape..

Good luck

Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Great advice - thanks very much. Hoping for a warm sunny day tomorrow here in MA

Will post my results

Best

Matt

Old 09-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Well it turned into a beautiful day here is the Boston area. My wife and I headed into Malden to Mikes Auto Body to pick up my 997. It was in getting an aerokit bumper installed and painted. I also had a clear bra installed at the same time on the new bumper.

Here's a picture of the man himself (Mike http://www.mikesautobodyofmalden.com) and my wife Annie. She's not wearing a do-rag, she's in the midst of battling liver cancer (but is kicking ***).

After driving home which is about 50 miles for us it was time to get the spoiler protection on ASAP. Just pulling out of Mikes Auto Body I scraped the spoiler a bit!

Using the great advice from Burg Boxster I laid everything out, wiped down the spoiler, cut the trim to fit + a few inches and then starting at one end just took my time working my way around the bumper. It took no more than 30 minutes from wipe down to clean up.

Warming up the trim in the sun (great idea, made it very easy to work with)

Before pic

After Pic

The gray matches Seal Gray almost perfectly

If I can do this any of you can do this!

Thanks again to the original poster and everyones contributions.

Best,

Matt

Old 09-22-2012, 01:11 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed for future reference. Good stuff and thanks.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Doug L. is on a distinguished road
Matt,

It looks great! I am still on my first strip. It has saved me many times. Nice looking car...

Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
I made this mod today after I had my spoiler painted last week. Thanks all for the tip!

I have another spoiler I got from ebay that I had painted as well, and it fits fine, although it looks like the door guard trim won't work as well on it as this spoiler has an additional bend on the bottom edge that comes back toward the rear of the car for about 1". I suppose this is to give it added strength, but there is no "edge" at the bottom any more...

Here's pics of the factory one with the trim added..

$125 to sand down my originial chewed up one, primer, and paint. not bad...

Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2012, 01:46 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Man I love the 997.1 GT3/Aero bumper!
I can't even tell the trim is there unless I'm looking for it.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Doug L. is on a distinguished road
It looks awesome! Great Job! My first application is still performing flawlessly. However, I am very careful on low spots.

DML

Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
BLKonBLK911C4S is on a distinguished road
Does anyone who has used the door guard have a picture they can post of the end at the wheel well?

Old 07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by neotorque
Sure, I've posted about the ProTrim strip before (http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...oiler-lip.html), but it's just an extruded rubber strip that attaches to the buttom of the front lip. I actually think it looks better since it adds an extra curve in the lip and just makes it look meaner: like a mini-version of the GT2RS extender. (See attached pics)

My bodyshop (Los Gatos Collision) hooked me up with Pro Trim when I got the aerokit installed. For two strips, one installed, and one backup, it was about $85-100 if I recall correctly, and it works wonders. I had the lip on for about a month before I added it and it was already scraped to hell. Since then, there's been nothing, it even covered up the pre-existing damage. And even if the strip frays a bit, it wouldn't be noticeable since it is color matched to the car. (My understanding is that they have them in all colors). It's now been close to 6 months and I haven't even needed to swap out for my backup strip. I'm sure I would have needed a new lip by now without it, since I go over a lot of driveways and speedbumps.

As far as paint and install, I think the total was close to $1,000 (this covers the bumper and the spoiler lip), but I went through my dealership and their bodyshop, so I paid top dollar, I'm sure. It's well worth it - the paint is a perfect match and it totally transforms the car.

Another option is the GT3 lip, but I like having it color-matched as opposed to black, and I think that has a lot of the similar wear and tear issues as the aerokit lip, though they're less noticeable because it's in black.
Any pics from the side or 3 quarter angle? Did you add different side skirts or rear spoiler?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
if it help any...I have a C2S with OEM GT3 front, car lowered with Eibach springs. At first the front lip scrape in/out driveway, but now with some patience no longer scrape.

Scrape or no scrape, no biggie, went through 4 R1 lips on my 3rd Gen RX7

Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Don't paint the lip, it will crack. Leave it as is. Clean it with razor so often.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering 997 with factory aero package...