997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hesitation with cold motor

Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM
luigi007 is on a distinguished road
Hesitation with cold motor

Can someone tell me why my 2005 997 hesitates during take off while the engine is cold. Keeps doing that until engine oil warms up yo around 200. Changed the spark plugs since car has 63K miles. Need to clean body throttle? Please help.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
I had a similar issue. I changed the plugs and a faulty coil, it solved the problem. if you changed the plugs I would check the ignition coils next.

Last edited by krysFly; 09-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Did you change all the 6 coils or found the faulty one?

Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
I changed just one, it was cracked.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks. I need to check mines. Are the crack easy to identify? Cracks on plastic housing? How much to replace?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 AM
yes, fairly easy to spot. They are about $50 a piece (ballpark) I should have replaced them all last year. The coils are a know issue.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks krysFly for your help. Great forum!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Guys, still having hesitation problem. New spark plugs and coils looked ok. What else should I check? Is this normal when engine is cold?

Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by luigi007
Can someone tell me why my 2005 997 hesitates during take off while the engine is cold. Keeps doing that until engine oil warms up yo around 200. Changed the spark plugs since car has 63K miles. Need to clean body throttle? Please help.
Is this a serious question? j/k When you say hesitates, do you mean a significant off idle stumble when cold, or just a noticeable power difference under acceleration? Are you overloading the engine when cold? Cars are engineered to run properly at operating temperature. No cold engine runs as well as when the engine is operating in the designed temperature range. Lots of factors could be related to poor performance. Stop guessing and take it to someone who can determine an issue if there is one.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:44 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, still having hesitation problem. New spark plugs and coils looked ok. What else should I check? Is this normal when engine is cold?
No. This is not normal. My cars always run the same whether cold or warmed up. The difference is I never push the car too hard until it's properly warmed up.

Last edited by denversteve; 09-15-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Would suggest you clean the throttle body and MAF sensor if it has never been done. CRC makes a seperate spray on solution for both. Auto Zone has 'em. Just did mine after noticing build up inside throttle body. If it's there it's on your MAF.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks danversteve and dadio. I never push my car when cold. That is a given. Also, cleaning the MAF was my next item to check. It seems that it is a very common item to do. Is cleaning the body throttle also very common? What should be the frequency on both MAF and body throttle?

Old 09-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks danversteve and dadio. I never push my car when cold. That is a given. Also, cleaning the MAF was my next item to check. It seems that it is a very common item to do. Is cleaning the body throttle also very common? What should be the frequency on both MAF and body throttle?
I have a BMC filter in my car which may have contributed to the greasy stuff coating the throttle body near and on both sides of the butterfly. I'd check it for any build up at least at each filter change and make your decision based on what you find. Interior surfaces should be clean and shiny, if not, it's needs cleaning. Best method is to remove it from the engine to clean it as cleaner is not plastic or paint friendly.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:07 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It seems that it is a very common item to do. Is cleaning the body throttle also very common? What should be the frequency on both MAF and body throttle?
I've never had to do it after three Porsches. Before taking anything off and cleaning it without a known need, I would run a bottle of SeaFoam through the system and see if that helps. It usually cleans things needed cleaning pretty well.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by denversteve
I've never had to do it after three Porsches. Before taking anything off and cleaning it without a known need, I would run a bottle of SeaFoam through the system and see if that helps. It usually cleans things needed cleaning pretty well.
Agree with this no-touch approach. But since I don't think it will be heeded, my only suggestion is make sure you explore and clean during the week so you can run to the dealer and get new parts when you break something. Seriously, physically messing with the MAF is a disaster waiting to happen. OP really needs to better define what seems to be the issue when cold, anything from noises to power irregularities. I'm assuming everything runs normal when warm. That in itself has me thinking there probably isn't an issue. With that, I think I'm done.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hesitation with cold motor