997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Porsche Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM
bencomer is on a distinguished road
997 Porsche Sport Exhaust

I have a 2006 997 S with stock exhaust and Sport Chrono package. Would changing out my stock exhaust for a used Porsche Sport Exhaust result in any performance gains or better sound? Note that I think the Porsche Sport Exhaust factory installation has a button in the ****pit that I would not have if I simply change out the exhaust.

Now, if I also added an EVO intake at the same time, would I see any performance improvements and sound improvements?

Ben

Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 AM
gvcap10 has a spectacular aura aboutgvcap10 has a spectacular aura aboutgvcap10 has a spectacular aura about
I have an 06 C4S with PSE with the on and off switch. The difference in sound and tone of the exhaust when it's on vs. off is amazing! As for power, I couldn't tell you the exact performance improvement, but I'm sure there is something added. Get it, you will not be disappointed with the mod...... Best of luck....

Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
No performance increase. PSE also has this weird cut off at certain speed/ rpm. Something about German noise control. It cuts off at ~3500rpm at lower speeds. Some of us just unplug it, thus leaving it on all the time.

Search Gundo Hack. Same sound, cheap price.

PSE/ Gundo sound is perfect. Not too loud, no drone. Sounds the way the car should have sounded stock.

Can't say about the Evo intake. But you can throw a lot of money at these cars and not get much gain.

Last edited by mattyf; 01-26-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Might be selling my PSE if you're interested. The system has 12k miles on it.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
mattyf or others,

You mentioned unplugging the PSE to ensure that it stays open all of the time. If I put on the PSE from another car onto my 06 997 S (which did not come from the factory with PSE), there will be no place to plug it up. Does that mean it stays open all of the time, or will that mean it stays closed all of the time? My biggest concern about putting on the PSE is that I do not have the on/off switch. I would want to leave it on all of the time.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I seem to remember the sport exhaust being off as the default setting.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I seem to remember the sport exhaust being off as the default setting.
True. If you don't unplug it, it's off at start up. However, you can hold down the button while starting and it opens up the exhaust exactly when you crank over.

My previous 997S (.1) had it and it was great sound. In sport mode the throttle was more lively so it seemed more responsive when on. As for an overall power increase most say no, but I was more convinced the peak powers didn't change, but the curve may have, therefore changing midrange for the better.

With that in mind, for those who just unplug the solenoid, they would still need to use sport mode.

Worst part is what someone just mentioned about the dead rpm range (cruise range) where even when activated it closes off.

Get yourself the German-made Cargraphic side mufflers w/lifetime warranty and enjoy the measurably better sound AND more power!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 PM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Gundo hack!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Carnut12 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Steve997S
True. If you don't unplug it, it's off at start up. However, you can hold down the button while starting and it opens up the exhaust exactly when you crank over.

My previous 997S (.1) had it and it was great sound. In sport mode the throttle was more lively so it seemed more responsive when on. As for an overall power increase most say no, but I was more convinced the peak powers didn't change, but the curve may have, therefore changing midrange for the better.

With that in mind, for those who just unplug the solenoid, they would still need to use sport mode.

Worst part is what someone just mentioned about the dead rpm range (cruise range) where even when activated it closes off.

Get yourself the German-made Cargraphic side mufflers w/lifetime warranty and enjoy the measurably better sound AND more power!
I have those exact mufflers coming, I was thinking about adding the Sharkwerks as well. Did you add the X-pipe after, if so can you let me know the difference it made?

I am pretty sure I am ordering it, just curious. I can not wait, I have several mods I plan to have the Local shop install. I know I could do it, but figured I will let them so it comes out perfect, plus I am getting the B&M short shifter installed also.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
PSE can be implemented a number of ways.

If it was factory installed w/ Sport Chrono the DME controls the opening/closing of the muffler(s) vacuum ports depending on speed. It was done this way I'm told because of German noise restrictions/laws. If it was factory installed w/o the Sport Chrono option a button/switch (tail pipe logo) is provided in the switch panel. If it was installed in an after market way most are installed w/ a simple switch that energizes the 12 volts to the PSE vacuum soleniod which in turn provides the vacuum to open/close the PSE ports (soft/loud).

If all the vacuum lines are installed and one removes the harness to the PSE 12v vacuum solenoid the PSE will be in the loud mode (steady state). If all you have are the mufflers (no harness, soleniod, etc) then all you have to do is tap into a vacuum source (ie. vacuum pump line for engine/brake booster) w/ a tee connection and run it to each of the PSE muffler vacuum ports. Your PSE will then be in the loud state all the time.

If the PSE is not DME controlled then it will not be affected by speed or any other variable other than a user enabled switch.

I have a PDF copy of the PSE Technical Information (ie. instructions) from Porsche. If you want a copy PM me w/ your email address and I'll send it over.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM
AP 997 S, what happens I just put the mufflers on and do nothing with the vaccuum lines? Is the muffler defaulted to loud mode or soft mode, or do I risk the flap opening and closing randomly?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
Defaults to loud.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bencomer
AP 997 S, what happens I just put the mufflers on and do nothing with the vaccuum lines? Is the muffler defaulted to loud mode or soft mode, or do I risk the flap opening and closing randomly?
To be honest I really don't know. When I installed mine I ran the solenoid, harness, switch and vacuum lines so I have no first hand knowledge regarding mufflers only. It sounds from the tone of 'SecretAsianMan' posting that he knows and it defaults to loud.

If you have the PSE mufflers go ahead and install them and see for yourself. Its no big deal to run vacuum to the ports in the event it doesn't behave like the 'SecretAsianMan' says.

Good Luck .. . .

Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
I think it also defaults to loud without the vacuum as well. There was a post a while ago about disconnecting the vacuum line as an alternative to disconnecting the solenoid.

But the Gundo hack is still cheaper and same sound... Unless of course you get a good deal on the used ones.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM
plantagenet is on a distinguished road
white rock sent you a PM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Porsche Sport Exhaust