997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:42 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
The other day Shane and the crew at Del Rey Customs hooked me up with the Focal ISN100 and ISS200 speaker swaps and we put Dynamat Xtreme in the doors for good measure. I work a few miles from their shop so they did a pro turnkey installation for me in a few hours.

As others have noted, the vastly superior drivers completely transform the stock Bose system with much better clarity and detail, punchier mid-bass, and higher volume levels without nasty distortion/clipping. I can literally turn the volume all the way up now and the system sounds really good.

Working with DRC could not have been smoother and I can definitely recommend this upgrade if you're unsatisfied with the stock system and don't want to go all-out with a full head, amp and speaker project.

I may DIY a sub driver upgrade next as the Bose box is definitely a bit muddy but for now it gets the job done.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by campbellcj
The other day Shane and the crew at Del Rey Customs hooked me up with the Focal ISN100 and ISS200 speaker swaps and we put Dynamat Xtreme in the doors for good measure. I work a few miles from their shop so they did a pro turnkey installation for me in a few hours.

As others have noted, the vastly superior drivers completely transform the stock Bose system with much better clarity and detail, punchier mid-bass, and higher volume levels without nasty distortion/clipping. I can literally turn the volume all the way up now and the system sounds really good.

Working with DRC could not have been smoother and I can definitely recommend this upgrade if you're unsatisfied with the stock system and don't want to go all-out with a full head, amp and speaker project.

I may DIY a sub driver upgrade next as the Bose box is definitely a bit muddy but for now it gets the job done.
Glad to hear it! Wait until they break in a bit! You would definitely appreciate the sub driver switch and it's pretty easy. Only costs $50.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
So I did just order the Dayton DC130B's to try in the sub box. Is that an easy DIY and is there a writeup somewhere (maybe in this ginormous thread itself)?

Old 07-04-2015, 02:40 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
So I did just order the Dayton DC130B's to try in the sub box. Is that an easy DIY and is there a writeup somewhere (maybe in this ginormous thread itself)?
Thread #388. Piece of cake, but use a drill driver or you'll kill yourself getting the 30 screws out of the sub. There is no special sealant holding the shells together, so reasonable force will gradually pull them apart. Good luck!

After you get them, you'll note that the bass response has gone down a fair amount. They need a fair amount of time to break in. Great combo with 8's in the doors for nice tight base and plenty of it. If you like your bass heavy and boomy, it may not be the solution. Definitely worth a try - let me know how you like the results.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I'm not sure you're reading the spec right. 35Hz is the Fs (resonant freq). FS is one of the T/S parameters of the driver. There's no way that a 5" driver can provide usable output down to 35Hz. You have to plug in the parameters into a box design program to get a good estimate of how perform. Fortunately, Aurum Cantus did that for you.

For a small 0.13 ft^3 sealed enclosure, the frequency response extends down to 112Hz (-3dB). For a 0.3 ft^3 simple vented enclosure (no port specs provided), your -3dB point is 71Hz. With some sacrificial port tuning and the cabin response of the Porsche, you can probably get passable bass.

But hey, anything is bound to be an improvement over the stock drivers...assuming similar voltage sensitivity (otherwise you'll need to upgrade the amp).
According to Porsche/Bose, the enclosure is 14 liters, which is about .49 cubic feet. Considerably more volume than the prior estimate, although far from huge. I wonder how those calculations work out. Considerably lower than 70 Hz. The volume numbers seems about right.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 AM
slick willy is on a distinguished road
cheapo alert: could I get away with replacing the door subs and tweeters with the Focal ISS 165 set and the mids with a Focal IC 100 pair and then just crank the fader to the front? I'm also aware that I should disconnect the center speaker if I do that (though it sounds tricky). I'm interested in doing this mod myself and I don't want to take on the challenge of the rears.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:19 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
According to Porsche/Bose, the enclosure is 14 liters, which is about .49 cubic feet. Considerably more volume than the prior estimate, although far from huge. I wonder how those calculations work out. Considerably lower than 70 Hz. The volume numbers seems about right.
Nice try. Since there are 2 drivers sharing the same space, the volume used in the calculating the response curve is divided by 2. So we're now talking 0.25 cubic feet and a ballpark -3dB response of higher than 71Hz.

You just can't get achieve undistorted last-octave bass at a usable sound volume with 5" drivers. You can't cheat physics.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:00 AM
jigning is on a distinguished road
Amazingly detailed - thank you for adding such a content rich post!

Last edited by jigning; 07-07-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by slick *****
cheapo alert: could I get away with replacing the door subs and tweeters with the Focal ISS 165 set and the mids with a Focal IC 100 pair and then just crank the fader to the front? I'm also aware that I should disconnect the center speaker if I do that (though it sounds tricky). I'm interested in doing this mod myself and I don't want to take on the challenge of the rears.
Nope. You can't use the fader because you will also turn off the subwoofer! Try it now.
Instead you could disconnect the rears. Remove the cover, one screw and they come off. The rears are not that difficult given that you can install them without removing the rear panels.

Also, I really would not recommend 6.5s for the doors. They really don't compare to using 8s.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Nice try. Since there are 2 drivers sharing the same space, the volume used in the calculating the response curve is divided by 2. So we're now talking 0.25 cubic feet and a ballpark -3dB response of higher than 71Hz.

You just can't get achieve undistorted last-octave bass at a usable sound volume with 5" drivers. You can't cheat physics.
Thanks for the classification. Not sure how my system is generating bass, perhaps from the 8s in the doors. Still wonder if another driver choice would be better in the subwoofer.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:05 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the classification. Not sure how my system is generating bass, perhaps from the 8s in the doors. Still wonder if another driver choice would be better in the subwoofer.
3 reasons:
1) The cabin response of the car interior adds maybe 12dB/octave of bass boost. So, if your anechoic chamber response (the one you calculate) is -12dB at 40Hz, what you hear in the car will actually be "flat" down to 40Hz. Pretty good.
2) You don't need flat, undistorted bass down to 20Hz to subjectively hear good, punchy bass.
3) Yes, the two 8-inchers help.

Honestly, there will probably be an improvement in bass if you upgrade the drivers, but it's difficult to predict without trying it.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:07 PM
My Dayton 'subs' arrived today so I'll try to get them in the car over the weekend.

I figured I should remove the Bose logos at this point...

Last edited by cjcam930; 07-10-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:07 PM
3 reasons:
1) The cabin response of the car interior adds maybe 12dB/octave of bass boost. So, if your anechoic chamber response (the one you calculate) is -12dB at 40Hz, what you hear in the car will actually be "flat" down to 40Hz. Pretty good.
2) You don't need flat, undistorted bass down to 20Hz to subjectively hear good, punchy bass.
3) Yes, the two 8-inchers help.

Honestly, there will probably be an improvement in bass if you upgrade the drivers, but it's difficult to predict without trying it.
Very good, thanks. Bass down to 40Hz is quite decent indeed.

I just really like the system with this configuration. Not sure I'm going to bother messing with it anymore. Everyone loves more bass of course, as long as it is quality bass!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:10 PM
My Dayton 'subs' arrived today so I'll try to get them in the car over the weekend.

I figured I should remove the Bose logos at this point...

Nice!
The shielded version of the speakers are on sale for $20!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 PM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
Nice!
The shielded version of the speakers are on sale for $20!
were if i may ask?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15