997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

When did engine bearing housing change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:56 AM
sullivas is on a distinguished road
When did engine bearing housing change?

Anyone know when the engine bearing housing changed to the type where the case has to be separated to replace the IMS? I have a late 2005 M96 engine and the car's VIN is not included in the recall settlement, even though it is a 2005. So I am concerned that if something goes wrong with the bearing the engine will have to be disassembled to repair it,instead of just popping in a new one.
I did read in the archives that the bearing was changed in late 2005 models. But the case?

Also if it's the newer case I can't proactively replace ($$) with an L/N.
Thanks for any info!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sullivas
Anyone know when the engine bearing housing changed to the type where the case has to be separated to replace the IMS? I have a late 2005 M96 engine and the car's VIN is not included in the recall settlement, even though it is a 2005. So I am concerned that if something goes wrong with the bearing the engine will have to be disassembled to repair it,instead of just popping in a new one.
I did read in the archives that the bearing was changed in late 2005 models. But the case?

Thanks for any info!
I'd check with the guys at LN - here's some info from their site:
http://www.imsretrofit.com

Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 PM
italdream is on a distinguished road
I am curious to know the answer. I heard a few times that they cannot determine it until they open the engine. It sounded odd.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
There's a thread on rennlist where owners tried to discern the crossover point based on engine numbers. I suspect if you're not on the recall list you have the larger non-serviceable bearing, but really I don't think you can be sure until you look.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sullivas

Thanks for any info!
Failure rate on the later bearing has been less than 1% suggesting a very low probabilty it will fail if the engine is properly maintained. Keep in mind the guys making the most noise about failed IMS bearings are the guys who make their living replacing them.