997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Maintenance Price Check

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM
3POINT8 is on a distinguished road
Maintenance Price Check

Do these prices seem right?

1. New Front Brakes = $1300

2. New clutch = $2900

The car is a 2006 911 CS with 55,000 on it (bought it a year ago and had a PPI and everything was fine). I am a little suprised it needs a new clutch this soon. It's not slipping or anything but they said it was real stiff. They said it may go another 15k or it may start to slip soon. I'm a little suprised on the brakes as well. They also said I need brake fluid flush which I do not believe has been done!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
what does New Brakes mean? Just pads? Rotors?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:05 PM
cbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud of
yikes, the price for the front brakes seems awfully high. is that for replacement of the pads only or do the rotors need replacing? Changing of the pads is a very easy DIY project and doesn't require any special tools lots of info on how to do it in the Sticky DIY section. It can be done for as little as $200 for the OEM pads, you may want to consider trying to tackle the brake job yourself. In either case, $1,300 is crazy for a front brake job, look into one of the independent repair shops and I am sure they can do it for a lot less.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 PM
It says pads and discs. I don't think I should need discs???

Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
front pads and sensors with brake flush was $898.00 on my '08. Outrageous. Didn't even turn the rotors. Would have done it myself but timing was bad for me so I had to have porsche do it. Will do it myself next time.
Quoted me $1500.00 for tune up which includes plugs, filters and check belts. That isn't robbery, that's rape. I'll wait till better weather and do it myself.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschelady
front pads and sensors with brake flush was $898.00 on my '08. Outrageous. Didn't even turn the rotors. Would have done it myself but timing was bad for me so I had to have porsche do it. Will do it myself next time.
Quoted me $1500.00 for tune up which includes plugs, filters and check belts. That isn't robbery, that's rape. I'll wait till better weather and do it myself.
So glad I have a friend who does this stuff for me

Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
buddy of mine can fix just about anything. I'll recruit him for the tune-up in a few K miles. We both had other commitments when the brake lite came on.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:09 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 3POINT8
Do these prices seem right?

1. New Front Brakes = $1300

2. New clutch = $2900

The car is a 2006 911 CS with 55,000 on it (bought it a year ago and had a PPI and everything was fine). I am a little suprised it needs a new clutch this soon. It's not slipping or anything but they said it was real stiff. They said it may go another 15k or it may start to slip soon. I'm a little suprised on the brakes as well. They also said I need brake fluid flush which I do not believe has been done!

All depends on the condition of the brakes. Pads and rotors worn beyond Porsche minimum standards and all OEM parts ( rotors, pads, vibration dampers, new plate springs, sensors, caliper bolts, etc....) and a flush...might be a little high but not outrageous if you do it to Porsche standards. Replacing brake pads only, that's would be a lot cheaper but that may not be all you need.

As for the clutch, based on what you were told, not sure it needs to be replaced . " It might last another 15000 miles or start to slip" wouldn't get me all hot and bothered about replacing it. But, with 55 K miles it's should be showing signs of wear and not functioning as well as it did when it was new so in that respect it does need be replaced, just not right away, and $ 2900 is in the range for a Pcar dealer.

Last edited by Dadio; 01-31-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
For reference, my dealer charges me $150 for a brake fluid flush.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:45 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
If you search across some of the board sponsors here, you can find front brake kits (pads and rotors) for under $500. Seems like a lot of labor. Source your own parts and find an indy.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I looked at my records and saw that I paid $610 out the door for front and rear brakes at my local P car dealer. Brake flush at the same time was $51 with Motul. Labor was concurrent with the brake change. Where do you live?

Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 PM
thanks for the tips. i live in portland area.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
It's always a good practice to turn the rotors every time you replace the pads since they "mate" unique to each other.

Turning rotors seems to be a dying practice nowadays so shops just wants to install brand new ones at the expense of the customers.

Me? I normally do turn the rotors but last time I did my brakes, I just replaced the pads without issues.

And yes, those drilled slotted rotors can be turned.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by White Rock
I looked at my records and saw that I paid $610 out the door for front and rear brakes at my local P car dealer. Brake flush at the same time was $51 with Motul. Labor was concurrent with the brake change. Where do you live?

Rear rotors, pads, caliper springs, pad dampers and brake fluid cost $ 622 from Suncoast and that's parts only for one axle non - S brakes. You got both axels done for less than that, with no labor charges, WOW, that is good deal.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:15 AM
a4ep will become famous soon enough
My brake light came on about 2k miles ago. I ordered the brake service kit (pads, rotors, sensors, etc.) from ECS for $400 and had them installed at an Indy yesterday for $200. Add in a brake flush for $135 and I spent $735 total.

I had the dealer replace my front pads and rotors on my 986S back in 2008 and they charged me $1,200 + $300 for a flush. Highway robbery and will never use a dealer for brakes again. Source from one of our sponsors and you will feel much happier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Price Check