997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Facelifting 997.1 to 997.2 look

Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Facelifting 997.1 to 997.2 look

Hey guys,

If I wanted to facelift the rear of my MKI 2005 C2S to a MKII look with the new shape tail lights and rear bumper, what parts to do I need to make it work, is there anything I need to consider besides the parts?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	d3ba0af5-3176-43c5-8ccf-40e32bd07b1a_4.jpg
Views:	1650
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	338599  
Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i believe this kit from suncoast is plug & play (besides the painting)

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...e=997s_aerokit

Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
sleek-sam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
Hey guys,

If I wanted to facelift the rear of my MKI 2005 C2S to a MKII look with the new shape tail lights and rear bumper, what parts to do I need to make it work, is there anything I need to consider besides the parts?

I have pretty much the same car as yours and besides for the bumper, all I needed was both lights, a factory module that goes under the drivers seat and coding. I did not have to change any harness or run an aftermarket harness. If you do a search here, you should be able to find all the part numbers you need.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:29 PM
997_Toronto is on a distinguished road
Just the LED lights will make a huge difference, you might save yourself the investment in a new bumper that's not gonna see any return when you upgrade.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
do a search for ap1to911 he has done the full oem conversion.

Hey guys,

Old 02-24-2014, 04:24 PM
sleek-sam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Just the LED lights will make a huge difference, you might save yourself the investment in a new bumper that's not gonna see any return when you upgrade.
I personally dont like the appearance of the aftermarket LED for 997.1 compared to the look of the OEM 997.2 LED. You can also have a good body shop mod your original bumper to fit 997.2 lights, or you can sell off your stock parts to get some of your money back.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sleek-sam
I personally dont like the appearance of the aftermarket LED for 997.1 compared to the look of the OEM 997.2 LED. You can also have a good body shop mod your original bumper to fit 997.2 lights, or you can sell off your stock parts to get some of your money back.
x1000 could not agree more

Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sleek-sam
Originally Posted by Perk10
x1000 could not agree more
I'm the opposite. My biggest problem with the .2 is the taillights. I like the LED part, but the oversized droopy bottom that doesn't illuminate turns me off. It's almost as bad as the 996 fried egg. I think the .1 with aftermarket rear LEDs look best, but I haven't done it personally since it seems reliability has been an issue with some of the vendors. To each his own.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 PM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mattyf
I'm the opposite. My biggest problem with the .2 is the taillights. I like the LED part, but the oversized droopy bottom that doesn't illuminate turns me off. It's almost as bad as the 996 fried egg. I think the .1 with aftermarket rear LEDs look best, but I haven't done it personally since it seems reliability has been an issue with some of the vendors. To each his own.
I Agree, I guess it all depends on how much you invest on the LED's if you get cheap ones the look may not be so much as OEM, I installed mine with no code errors and it lifted the look of my car sooo much, best mod I've made

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1986402680.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	338974

Old 05-21-2014, 07:36 AM
joee76 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by martidamm
I Agree, I guess it all depends on how much you invest on the LED's if you get cheap ones the look may not be so much as OEM, I installed mine with no code errors and it lifted the look of my car sooo much, best mod I've made

Attachment 338974
Which ones did you buy ? Yours look very close to OEM.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
I had the original Dectane led lights, because they resembled the oem lights.

However, I sold them since I didn't like the way it lit up when braking.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	c1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	377076   Click image for larger version

Name:	c2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	377077   Click image for larger version

Name:	c3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	377078   Click image for larger version

Name:	c4.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	377079  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
in addition to the tails you'll need
- FVD rear led converter
- rear bumper (make sure you get the correct NB/WB bumper, the WB bumper is wider requiring 2 lower side lips that the NB bumper does not. also make sure you get the bumper with/without parking sensor holes depending upon your current setup)
- 2 997.2 rear bumperettes (the 997.1 are 'upside down' with diff mounting tab locations
- 2 997.2 rear bumper 'exhaust shrouds', these surround the exhaust inlet on the rear bumper.

i am pretty sure the center mounting brackets can be reused (via drilling the holes in the right place) and perhaps 2 holes need to be drilled into the bumper itself at the side mounting points so that they line up with the existing bumper mounting points on the 997.1

i hope you got it done!

Hey guys,

Last edited by myw; 02-24-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:59 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
On a different note, the LED rear lights of the latest 911 Carrera are so sexy. When I saw them one early morning, i thought they were SICKLY BEAUTIFUL! I wish they could make a kit for the 997.1.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
I had the original Dectane led lights, because they resembled the oem lights.

However, I sold them since I didn't like the way it lit up when braking.
I tried them, removed them and sold them too. I just ordered a set of the OE 997.1 solid red tail lights.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM
noavgdrvr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mattyf

INDEED!!!!!

I understand design evolution but those taillights are tough to look at. After several years of owning classic 911s' I bought a 996. In barely 2wks of ownership I sold it because of the scrambie egg headlights.

Every time I looked at that car, I felt like a guy who was told the kid was his but he kept looking at the kid and saying to himself "those are not my eyes"

I immediately bought a 997... and as Jerry Springer would say and I quote "You are the father"

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Facelifting 997.1 to 997.2 look