997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bad engine at 82k...now what do I do???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:24 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Bad engine at 82k...now what do I do???

Hello faithful 997 owners of past and present. It's been a long time since I truly posted on here. And as much as I wish this was a triumphant return, it is in fact a call for help...

At just 82,000 miles the heart and soul of my beloved 2005 C2S have failed. After hearing a weird tapping sound on Sunday, European Performance Engineering has confirmed that there is tons of metal in my oil with a goldish hue. This is likely a main bearing failing, and about the worst thing that I could be dealing with.

They say my best “fix it” option is to get a new short block from Porsche for $14k on a swap for my old block. Replace all the other parts, plus labor for the work. Who knows what the total would be, probably 25-30k. I am sure you can all do the math, that would make the car incredibly upside down on worth to money owed. And here comes the kicker…I owe 15k on the car.

So I come to you asking what I can do. I have no idea what a dead car like this is worth, nor how to even sell it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Phil

UPDATE: So I have tossed a lot of ideas out here, some of them good…some of them terrible. So it appears as though my best option is to replace the motor with a swap.

The BIG question…What would you pay for a car with a swapped clean motor? As it stands KBB says trade in on my car with 82k on the clock to a dealer would be $31k. Now I find it hard to believe so I would think more like $25k. Private party says $34k, so more like $29k.

But does that change if the motor is basically new and clean? Could I expect to sell it private party for $35???

It would be amazing to get out of this with some money in my pocket. As it stands, if none of this had happened, I would have had about $15k profit with a sale. Now, I am looking at zero profit. But that is better than 15k in the hole!

UPDATE 2: I owe roughly $15,000 on the car. I have talked to Bill at Eurotech, his recommendation for the cheapest out would be a "California motor". There is some company out there that does motor swaps for clean, rebuilt motors in exchange for your bad motor...provided it isn't blow. Mine still "runs", but for how long I don't know due to not knowing the extent of the damage. The swap would cost me roughly $15,000. He has done them in the past with no problems at all. My hope would be to fix the car and then sell it for between 25k-30k. The more below 30k, the more out of pocket I am as that is my break even on loan plus the fix.

I contacted a lemon law website, but the car is too old. I know that to junk it I would get about $7k. I have also just contact the original dealer I bought the car from in San Diego. I expect nothing, but everything is worth a shot. Next step will be to contact Porsche NA directly. Then onto seeing if I can sell it on eBay (as someone posted above a 2005 C2 w/ stuck engine selling for $16k) and putting a reserve for around what I owe. And then last but not least, the fix it and sell it option.

The car was maintained with proper oil changes and anything remotely wrong was always fixed as soon as I noticed. If you are curious of my problem track record with this car…take a look. This is a snippet from what I sent to the dealer who sold it to me.

“You were all contacts when I purchased my 2005 C2S from you in May of 2010 with 49,900 miles on the motor…

I couldn't be more disappointed with the way this car has gone. It was in the shop 3 months after I bought it for an Airbag light, battery warning, third brake light water issue, carpet pulling away from passenger side foot well, and the passenger door light was falling out. Not to mention the cigarette smoke that was never disclosed to me. In January of 2011 (5 months later) I had a check engine light from a bad ignition coil. I also complained about a clunk from the front right strut/shock. The dealer replaced stabilizer bar end links, but it did not help. By May 2011 I was back in for another check engine light. This time for an issue with the activated charcoal filter, as well the clunk was still there. June, only one month later, back in for another check engine light. This time, the charcoal canister. I got a bit over a month, and in August came another check engine light for a defective fuel strainer. All was well, except for the clunk, until December of 2012 when I begun to have hot starting issues. This finally culminated in a complete start failure causing bad ignitions and check engine lights. It turned out to be the starter cable, and by this time I was out of CPO with a bill for $750. February 2012 rolls around and low and behold my clutch is completely slipping at only 72,000 miles. That's only 22,000 miles after purchase. While in the shop it also needed new front brakes and rotors, as well my water pump was leaking. Total cost was $4,700. January 2014 I had the oil changed and they replaced worn inner tie rods, as well as my battery due to bad cells, another $1,500. Barely a month later, I got the worst news possible after bringing the car in for a slight ticking...metal flakes in the oil. I have been told that the engine is all but toast. There is no telling what went wrong without a full teardown, at an estimated cost to me of almost $5,000 without even fixing a thing.”

UPDATE 3: The car is going to Jake Raby to fix. It just makes the most sense. If he can fix it then the car is at least in the best shape possible for either me to keep or to sell. If its a goner, a new engine will be in order I guess. And then I am in the same, keep or sell, boat.

UPDATE 4: The car is finally at Raby Engineering. It was a hassle and a half to get it there without paying $800. I probably should have bit the bullet and just spent the money, cause the time wasted figuring out how to get it there for 2+ weeks is more time that the car is sitting dead...costing me money.

I should know soon how bad the engine is. Given my track record with it, I expect the worst. I just have this nagging feeling that I'm gonna need a whole new setup.

I am still at odds with what to do with the car. I've enjoyed driving it immensely. But was in serious talks with myself, prior to this of course, about selling it for a newer C4S. Since 04 I have switched cars 3 times, with an average life span of 3 years. I have spent 4 with my 911, and was really looking forward to its equity being a large down payments (as I had done in the past). With all that out the window, and a gun shy owner of a "what next will break"...I am at a loss. I can keep it, but my payments are silly on a 2005 at this point (refinanced to pay for the fix). I could sell it, but with the lack of a good down payment I am back to standard sub 30k cars...which I am sure you all agree are not nearly as nice or fun to drive. My car has been a big pride point of mine for quite a while. And as silly as it sounds, its embarrassing going from a 911 to a Subaru BRZ. Decisions, decisions.

UPDATE 5: It's all bad news. The motor has 2 scored cylinders. Meaning the only option is a complete rebuild. That puts me way behind the eight ball. The cost to repair is very high. And I then run the risk of having a very expensive 2005 that anything else could still go wrong with. Financially it doesn't make sense to fix the car and keep it myself, praying that nothing else breaks. That is a gamble that financially I cannot take.

So I have two options:

1 - Fix the car and sell it. I would have to pony up a ton of money for the fix, and then work every avenue I can to sell the car. It's not a bad options, but its risky.

2 - Sell the car broken. This is the easiest option. I have no more out of pocket costs. The only thing I would need to worry about was getting as much for it as possible.

If I could fix the car and sell it for the fix cost plus the end of my loan that would be great. If I could sell it broken for the rest of my loan that would be much quicker, and easier on my mind. The route with the least loss is the one to take. Which one will grant me safe passage...they both look dark and stormy at the moment.

FINAL UPDATE: So I sold the car. I took a lose on it, but the buyer gave me a good deal. One that I can live with.

Thanks for all the assistance, those of you who made useful replies to this thread. No more P-car for me. I'll be back. And next time...with an extended warranty!!!

Last edited by gloves; 04-10-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Mcjimmy33 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear your story, this is probably my worst fear with my car. I would suggest calling some local dealers / junk yards / carmax and see what ballpark you can get gor your car. Keep us updated, curious what a shell and a transmission is worth. Maybe a dealer would take it on a trade in if you upgrade?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
id call corporate first and try to get it good willed...my mom got $4k repair to her lexus good willed and ive heard of porsche good willing

worth a try especially if you bought it new and have service records

Old 03-13-2014, 08:58 AM
mork is on a distinguished road
You could strip the car clean and put the parts on ebay. Then, you call the lien holder to come and repo what is left.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 AM
edward_tung is on a distinguished road
Look for a used engine online, it should be around 12k. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
See update posts.

Last edited by gloves; 04-09-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Have you considered taking it to a shop that routinely rebuilds Porsche motors and have them open it up and assess what's going on? Bearings are inexpensive and if that's all that's damaged you might be surprised at the total cost. I can't imagine replacing a motor, even one that is obviously damaged, before knowing what's wrong with it. Motor rebuilds range in price from the not-so-bad to the ridiculous but until you know what's up, there's no way to know where on the spectrum your car falls. Good luck,

Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM
mork is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Have you considered taking it to a shop that routinely rebuilds Porsche motors and have them open it up and assess what's going on? Bearings are inexpensive and if that's all that's damaged you might be surprised at the total cost. I can't imagine replacing a motor, even one that is obviously damaged, before knowing what's wrong with it. Motor rebuilds range in price from the not-so-bad to the ridiculous but until you know what's up, there's no way to know where on the spectrum your car falls. Good luck,
Good idea. A local PCA member may be able help you find a local indy that rebuilds engines in your area with a good rep.

Last edited by mork; 03-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM
See update posts.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
I've seen them for much less than 12k. Here's one for 8.5k w/31k miles
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271403290636

Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 AM
See update posts.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
cut your losses and sell the car for 15K to pay off what you owe. Save money to buy a 997.2 later on?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM
See update posts.

Last edited by gloves; 04-09-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
Was this confirmed to be ims failure (you did state bearing failure), if so did you check the imssettlement website ???!! Perhaps your car qualifies for some reimbursement from Porsche?!?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 AM
See update posts.

Last edited by gloves; 04-09-2014 at 08:32 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad engine at 82k...now what do I do???