997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

50th edition vs. Sport Classic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:49 PM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
50th edition vs. Sport Classic

Dear All,

I put this tread on 991 forum

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-classic.html

and I hope you do not mind that I post it here. I just would like to know your 997 opinions.

My background is I came from Cayman S -> 991 C2S, and I just sold my loverly 991 C2S last month since I wanted to get 991 GT3. However, 991 GT3 is not available due to the recent fire problem so if I want to get 991 GT3 then my dealer told me that I will have to wait at least 16-18 months to get the new production batch.

I don't want to wait that long (my bad habit) so I put a deposit on a new 50th edition. However, I came across 2nd hand 997 Sport Classic (2011) with only 5,000 miles and it is mint. I think the sport classic looks really great. I cannot decide which one to go, both cars are more or less at the same prices in my country. The Sport Classic seems to hold a value very well since it is available only 250 cars. I hope to keep it as long as I can! I am not worry too much about a resales vaule since this is my weekend car and I just want to enjoy it.

What do you guys think? Will i am disappoint to go back to a ride on 997? I did not spend much time with 997 since I moved from Cayman S to 991 and 991 has a very good ride (my last 991 C2S has Sport Chrono, PDK, PASM, and PDDC). Of course, 997 has a manual which I am really like.

Which one will you choose and why?

Thank you in advance for your kind inputs.

Best regards,

Bond

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_Porsche_911_sport_classic.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	362976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-911-Sport-Classic-05.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	576.4 KB
ID:	362977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-911-Sport-Classic-4.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	362978  

Last edited by iambon; 04-19-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Sports classic no question. Exclusivity which might not come your way again, for that same amount of money. You can easily buy a 991 or a gt3 anytime down the road if you wished.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
The Sport Classic is my #1 favorite Porsche of all time.

I have sat in a 991 50th Ed. with brown interior and it made me miss my 997's Full Cococa leather. Get the 997 and you'll have a MUCH more exclusive car.

AND I just read that the 997 is a manual. DONE DEAL. Do it!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
Sports Classic, I think 997 GT3 or sport classic are the best looking Porsche 911 ever. I am not a fan of electric steering but I am bias.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:52 PM
plantagenet is on a distinguished road
Wow what a great problem to have. Have you driven both?
The Sports classic is more or less from my understanding a GTS with a very exclusive body kit including a special roof (or GTS as it actually came afterwards is a sports classic without the body kit). The GTS is understood outside of the GT3's to be the best example of the 997 and with the rarity of the sports classic you may have as close as you can get to depreciation proof driving.
The 50th edition is also getting good reviews but is more a special in the vain of the Boxster RS or the 40th anniversary rather than a one of the kind. The sports classic really needs to be seen more in the vain of the speedster and will be the one collectors will want longer term. Having said that if your aim is to drive the nuts off it and every day you may be better off with the 50th as it will have a new car warranty! Look forward to seeing which way you go

Old 04-19-2014, 07:04 PM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by plantagenet
The Sports classic is more or less from my understanding a GTS with a very exclusive body kit including a special roof (or GTS as it actually came afterwards is a sports classic without the body kit). The GTS is understood outside of the GT3's to be the best example of the 997 and with the rarity of the sports classic you may have as close as you can get to depreciation proof driving.
The 50th edition is also getting good reviews but is more a special in the vain of the Boxster RS or the 40th anniversary rather than a one of the kind. The sports classic really needs to be seen more in the vain of the speedster and will be the one collectors will want longer term. Having said that if your aim is to drive the nuts off it and every day you may be better off with the 50th as it will have a new car warranty! Look forward to seeing which way you go
Thank you for all comments. I will test drive a sport classic today, and thanks to my dealer that they allow me to test drive this limited car.

I think the 991 will ride better but I hope that a manual shifting will compensate for a ride and even though i hardly use a manual car for my daily commute but I really hope that to drive a sport classic with a manual will enhance my driving experience.

What about problems or reliability? Does 997.2 has any issues or problems that I should aware of?

Old 04-19-2014, 07:35 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iambon

My background is I came from Cayman S -> 991 C2S, and I just sold my loverly 991 C2S last month since I wanted to get 991 GT3.
Ok. Just gotta say, you have too much money. Why did you sell your "loverly" 991s? Why get rid of it before a gt3 is available? Not to mention a gt3 is nothing like a C2S. A sport classic is not a car to drive, it is a car to collect, with a prohibitive price tag. Why buy a collector car if you want a driver? If you want a driver, just get a tts, it's way more car for a lot less money. These are questions asked from a perspective of too much money and no real knowledge of these cars. Sorry, just had to put it out there.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
Ok. Just gotta say, you have too much money. Why did you sell your "loverly" 991s? Why get rid of it before a gt3 is available? Not to mention a gt3 is nothing like a C2S. A sport classic is not a car to drive, it is a car to collect, with a prohibitive price tag. Why buy a collector car if you want a driver? If you want a driver, just get a tts, it's way more car for a lot less money. These are questions asked from a perspective of too much money and no real knowledge of these cars. Sorry, just had to put it out there.
No offence, I like 991 C2S but i want to step up to GT3 so I deposited for GT3 and the 991 GT3 is available NOW, she is sitting at the dealer waiting to send her back to replace an engine. I don't want a brand new GT3 with a replaced engine so I am looking for other choices.

I accidentally came across Sport Classic and I think it is a really great looking car so I am temping to try it and this is why I posted it here. Sorry if i make any stupid question to you.

Last edited by iambon; 04-19-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 PM
plantagenet is on a distinguished road
997.2 seems from what I have heard on forums to be a pretty solid car. If the car is a daily commuter I think I would go for a pdk 50th anniversary of even a straight c4s if I was you as the 997 manual as great as it is, is still a pain to drive in heavy traffic as the clutch is relatively heavy. You will know this pretty quickly from your test drive though.

I talked to the dealer a couple of weekends ago and I think a few people have chosen not to take there gt3s with replaced engines but wait to get them factory fresh. So I do understand that decision but if it was me I would still take the gt3 just maybe ask them to give the extended warranty as a show of faith

Old 04-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
like apple and oranges. I don't consider these two cars to be in the same league.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by plantagenet
Thanks, it won't be my daily commute. It will be my occasional weekend car so I want some thing special and rewarding to drive. I usually put around 1-2,000 miles a year since I need to really find excuses to drive it. My wife hates sport car and my twin are too young to enjoy it.

Last edited by iambon; 04-19-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:26 AM
CM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud of
Sport Classic all day long.

I mean LOOK AT IT!

Go get it, and then post pix.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:11 AM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by iambon
Dear All,

I put this tread on 991 forum

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-classic.html

My background is I came from Cayman S -> 991 C2S, and I just sold my loverly 991 C2S last month since I wanted to get 991 GT3. However, 991 GT3 is not available due to the recent fire problem
those pesky fire problems...

Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
like apple and oranges. I don't consider these two cars to be in the same league.
Agree. That's why I consider these random questions on how to spend the equivalent of $200k in Thailand.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Mspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the rough
The Sport Classic is a better looking car, inside and out. It's way more exclusive. I'd own one in heart beat over the 50th if I had the means. OTOH, the 50th is my favorite of the 991 line.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 50th edition vs. Sport Classic