997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Instrument Cluster display problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:50 AM
DmZ_stephen is on a distinguished road
Instrument Cluster display problem

Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing a bad issue with my 997.1 instrument cluster.

it started of a few week ago where a small amount of pixels seems to be stuck. Today the problem got worse and the "stuck"/"dead pixels" are all above the speed counter. very disturbing.

Anybody else experience this ?
I've read a post on another forum (only 4-5 posts) where someone was saying that he had the issue when it was cold outside and when hot weather arrived it disappeared..
Well it has been very warm these days here and no change...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dmz.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 AM
kcheves is on a distinguished road
I believe you are going to need a new instrument cluster. In the US these have a list price of nearly $3000 USD. Used clusters are also available, and the DIY is not difficult.

Resetting the mileage will be your challenge. I don't know what Porsche's policy is on this, or whether this is allowed by Swiss law.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kcheves
I believe you are going to need a new instrument cluster. In the US these have a list price of nearly $3000 USD. Used clusters are also available, and the DIY is not difficult.

Resetting the mileage will be your challenge. I don't know what Porsche's policy is on this, or whether this is allowed by Swiss law.
Is it possible that the mileage resides somewhere other than the cluster? I had a cluster replaced under warranty on my last car, and I vaguely remember asking the dealer about odometer. I thought he told me that the information didn't reside on the cluster. In other words, a new cluster would automatically display the correct information.

No?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Mileage resides on the cluster. Yes a replacement used one can be cloned to match your original one. This is the wrong forum to explain how.

Another option is swapping boards inside your cluster with a used replacement. Open the cluster from the rear and you will see a daughter board on the back. Move that to your new cluster and your mileage will be retained.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Jance is on a distinguished road
Interesting. This type of failure seems to be when the "liquid" (in liquid crystal display) is no longer in the appropriate liquid state. Heat is one suggested fix.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Hi Jance,

would you have further recommendations about heating the lcd ?
What should be heated exatlca the front screen, back screen, connector ribbon ? does it need to be rubbed ?

has anyone tried this fix ?
Yes the cluster is over 3000$ so a fix would be nice.

thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Ok I may have found a second hand instrument cluster.

Is it possible to swap just the lcd screen, can it be removed easily ?
I heard also that we can swap the memory card but I would prefer to keep the original cluster with the replaced lcd.

Thanks for any info.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:33 AM
ptsmonteiro is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DmZ_stephen
Ok I may have found a second hand instrument cluster.

Is it possible to swap just the lcd screen, can it be removed easily ?
I heard also that we can swap the memory card but I would prefer to keep the original cluster with the replaced lcd.

Thanks for any info.
Hi there.
I have the same problem. How did you managed to fix this?
Thanks!

Old 05-14-2020, 10:12 PM
Baileyii is on a distinguished road
ptsmonteiro

When I changed my gauges to red I messed up and had to buy a new cluster from DC Auto and have them mail it to BBA Remanufacturing. BBA swapped out the bad part of the cluster and got my car back in the game.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:03 AM
ptsmonteiro is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for answering.

I managed to replace the faulty LCD with a new one but I think I’ve ruined the fuel gauge servo (it doesn’t move anymore). I guess the servos are too sensitive for having the needles pulled out and put in again...

Originally Posted by Baileyii
ptsmonteiro

When I changed my gauges to red I messed up and had to buy a new cluster from DC Auto and have them mail it to BBA Remanufacturing. BBA swapped out the bad part of the cluster and got my car back in the game.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:45 PM
EG997C2S is an unknown quantity at this point
You can probably have a competent gauge shop do the repair and replace just the lcd from another working 997/987 cluster. The center display is the same and 987 Boxster/Cayman used clusted can be purchased for only a few hundred bucks unlike 997 units. Otherwise you would need a brand new cluster from Porsche which I believe will automatically update your correct mileage stored in the DME. Once the cluster hits 500 miles the odometer reading is burned into the cluster itself which renders used clusters useless for anything other then parts. I did the gauge face conversion on mine which was pretty nerve wrecking knowing the price of replacement in case I screw up.

Name:  mxoWLiIh.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  121.2 KB
Name:  veBrE9Uh.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  184.0 KB

Last edited by EG997C2S; 05-18-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:31 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
great job

Originally Posted by EG997C2S
You can probably have a competent gauge shop do the repair and replace just the lcd from another working 997/987 cluster. The center display is the same and 987 Boxster/Cayman used clusted can be purchased for only a few hundred bucks unlike 997 units. Otherwise you would need a brand new cluster from Porsche which I believe will automatically update your correct mileage stored in the DME. Once the cluster hits 500 miles the odometer reading is burned into the cluster itself which renders used clusters useless for anything other then parts. I did the gauge face conversion on mine which was pretty nerve wrecking knowing the price of replacement in case I screw up.