997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sport exhaust speed cutout

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Sailingfun is on a distinguished road
Sport exhaust speed cutout

I have searched and come up with lots of threads but nothing specific to the 997.1. I find the speed cutout on the sport exhaust obnoxious. I do however want to be a good neighbor so just pulling the plug at the. Engine is not a option. Lots of info on the 996 about cutting the pink speed sense wire to the relay. Anyone have a link to a DIY for that on the 997. For those who have done it any issues?
George

Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sailingfun
I have searched and come up with lots of threads but nothing specific to the 997.1. I find the speed cutout on the sport exhaust obnoxious. I do however want to be a good neighbor so just pulling the plug at the. Engine is not a option. Lots of info on the 996 about cutting the pink speed sense wire to the relay. Anyone have a link to a DIY for that on the 997. For those who have done it any issues?
George
Pull the plug...PSE is not that loud. I live in a closed community and have never had any complaints. I'd be leery of cutting any wires.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
As jhbrennan states, I've found that the sound level outside of the car is not as loud as you'd think from inside. I've been quite surprised in most cases when I've stood outside my own car and had someone drive away both taking it easy and under throttle when testing the different exhausts I've had.

If you haven't done so, get someone to drive it for you and I think you'll find that the neighbors won't have anything to complain about. Remember that the Porsche exhausts are designed to meet pretty aggressive TUV standards in Europe and are really quite well behaved... even the PSE.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by StormRune
ARemember that the Porsche exhausts are designed to meet pretty aggressive TUV standards in Europe and are really quite well behaved... even the PSE.
As FYI, TUV is only in Germany and only has to do with product safety.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Not just safety...also includes environmental testing including noise.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
So I did some poking around. TUV is actually a company that handles certification of products with a lot of "safety" related rules for vehicle and other product manufacturers. In Germany, they are also the company that handles all individual vehicle inspections to insure they are also adhering to EU product safety rules. Of course, loud exhausts are considered dangerous.

The EU noise standards are enforced throughout the EU, and TUV happens to take care of this in Germany but also has a presence in other countries.

Here is an interesting chart showing the progression of the noise limit laws in the EU over time: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/secto...m-noise_en.pdf. You can see that since 1996 EU vehicles have been limited to a sound level of 74 decibels (not sure where that is measured from).

Here is another interesting link showing the intention to decrease this further for combustion engines while also requiring noise from electric vehicles: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-363_en.htm

Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Not just safety...also includes environmental testing including noise.
In this context, noise is only an issue if one were to modify the exhaust from OEM. As OEM, it's not an issue, as everything is designed to meet EU standards (which isn't TUV). In Germany, if you buy a car part which needs TUV approval, it comes with the TUV certificate (as the part maker had the part TUV certified in advance), and you have to go to a TUV station and have them certify the part was installed correctly and being used as intended. Germany is not car mod friendly.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Sailingfun is on a distinguished road
I have had the car driven by to listen. I would prefer to keep control of the exhaust. No one has cut the pink wire?
G

Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 AM
away will become famous soon enough