997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What does it cost to repair curb rash??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
What does it cost to repair curb rash??

3 of my oem 997 rims have the usual type of curb rash. What should I expect to pay?

Many thanks

Old 07-25-2014, 02:07 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
At my Pcar dealer it's $125 / wheel. No limit on the amount of rash.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 PM
CM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud of
I bet it depends where you live, and also a little about level of quality.

I'm in NorCal (bay area) and I've heard of prices as low as $75 a wheel, but It seems like each time I've done it it's been between $500 and $700 for all 4 wheels.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:54 AM
mccarthy_sean will become famous soon enough
As others mentioned, it all depends on where you live and the type of service you pay for. My rear rim was damaged when one of the new guys at the local tire shop removed my tire. The shop got one of those mobile wheel repair services to fix it and it looked absolutely AWFUL. My rims were powder coated a 20% satin black and he tried to match the finish with paint. It came out all blotchy and rough, as if he used a can of Krylon paint. Plus the new paint flaked off when you rubbed it with a fingernail (he didn't use primer or properly cure it). This guy charged the tire shop $200 (I'm in DC) which was a total rip off. In the end I made the shop send it out to CA where the wheel was powder coated originally and they charged only $129 for stripping and re-powder coating. Most of the expense was in the shipping, which cost another $130.

When I owned my 930, I had a bit of curb rash on my factory Fuchs and a mobile guy charged me $75 per wheel for the repair (however that's when I lived in Alabama). The results were OK, but not great. My experience is the mobile guys often lack the proper equipment to remove the tire and properly strip/cure the paint. Used car dealerships love these guys because they are cheap and their work only has to last as long as it takes to sell the car. There are good mobile services out there, I just have never been able to find one.

My recommendation is go with a professional wheel repair service that owns a shop and has the proper tools. Sure, it may cost a bit more, but the results will usually be better. Otherwise try to find a mobile guy like the one in this video. Unfortunately this guy is in England, so I am not sure if these types of trucks exist in the States.

Sean

Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 AM
RBarbieri is on a distinguished road
Do it yourself. Plenty of instructions and videos available.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 AM
CM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RBarbieri
Do it yourself. Plenty of instructions and videos available.
This is not helpful, and doesn't answer the question.

If you had said, "I did mine myself, here are a few links to my favorite videos that really helped me with mine and they came out great!" (and then included some useful links, and a few before & after pix of your rims)

And followed up with what it cost you to do your own, and maybe a list of the ingredients & tools you used that he could print out and work from in his own shop, THAT might have been helpful.

I don't get why people gunk up threads with responses like yours.

"Search is your friend" or "Just do it yourself" with no back up or supporting information is just being priggish. It's not "telling it like it is" or witty, or for that matter even polite.

People who know how to find forums and sign up for them and become active members also know how to type "fix curb rash" in a google search window.

They ask questions on the forums because it is a community of like minded people with a passion for something they like too, and they want the opinion of other users who have experience with the subject of the thread.

This helps to build a comprehensive resource for other people who actually do search the forums, or use google to find answers that are actually relevant, while reinforcing the sense of community in a group with a shared common interest.

I realize you've only got a baker's dozen posts- but imagine if you asked the community something and everyone responded with: "just do it yourself. There's plenty of information out there"

And use that thought as your guide when responding to forum posts in the future.

I realize snarky humor and flaming dramas tend to play out regularly on forums worldwide, but I mean, the guy asked "what should I expect to pay for X"

It's a good question, and a topic many people would like to know the answer to. So, just try and be one of the good guys here with lots of rep under your name.

Thanks, carry on.
Dan

Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Geez! I really don't feel that I deserve this type of response. I was only trying to point out that there is another option to paying someone to repair the rims. I didn't think it reasonable to go into a long winded explanation, add links, etc. unless the OP decided he would be willing to try a DIY.

I think it's pretty obvious that the cost of material (various grades of sand paper, bondo, primer, top coat and clear coat if needed) is substantially less than the cost to pay someone to repair 3 rims. And yes, I've done several of my own rims with satisfactory results.

Chill out.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by RBarbieri
Geez! I really don't feel that I deserve this type of response...Chill out.
Of course you don't. But that's your opinion.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I really am. I'm actually a pretty chill guy.

Your original response is still a drag. As you said, it goes without saying that doing a job yourself materials wise costs substantially less than having it professionally done. So there's actually no need to say it at all. Everyone knows that if you cook a steak at home, it's cheaper than eating at Ruth's Chris Steak House.

I still stand behind what I said 100%.

I'm sure you're a cool guy. Don't get too bummed on my response. Just consider how your 'short' answer may be perceived by the community at large. That's all.

Thanks.
- Dan

Old 07-26-2014, 11:32 AM
The reason I mentioned cost in my last post was because you said "And followed up with what it cost you to do your own." If we both agree that DIY is obviously less expensive, then criticizing me for not detailing that is wrong. Anyway, your response was rude and I don't know who put you in charge of evaluating whether a posting is sufficiently useful or not. As far as my number of posts, I have numerous postings on various Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Corvette and boat forums and you're the only person who has ever complained.

This is my last post on this topic so feel free to say anything you want.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Lol. Ok.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:43 PM
chrisjd is on a distinguished road
Depending on the size and depth of the rash $75-$150 per wheel.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
Thanks. I am in Delray Beach and I have yet to find someone to do it that does not require shipping.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 PM
y2kgixxer will become famous soon enough
if you dont mind the drive there are some in south florida.
I have not used these guys so i dont know the quality of their work.

All Rim Repairs are done by appointment ONLY. Please contact Mike at (786) 309-7120 or email us Shawn@MiamiAutoSpa.com

Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Z00mie is on a distinguished road
Prince Wheel did my repair in CLT NC and i would highly recommend them. They also have a mobile service. They charged me $75 to do one wheel. They also do work for Hendrick Porsche, (where i got the number).

Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 PM
sclemmons is on a distinguished road
I have a guy in Little Rock who charges $100 cash per wheel while you wait. Heck of a deal and i have used him many times. I found him online googling Alloy Wheel Repair.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does it cost to repair curb rash??