997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need to drain oil after Techron ?

Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 PM
vrnkc is on a distinguished road
Need to drain oil after Techron ?

Do I need to drain the oil after using Techron fuel injector treatment? Wouldn't
the techron just "burn off" (like water
condensation in the oil) over time?

Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 PM
mclaren997 is on a distinguished road
No, Chevron gas has techron so people like me that use Chevron gas are constantly getting techron in our fuel tank. It's a good thing.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
everything I read about it said no oil change is needed..out of habit iadd a can of seafoam orBG44 one tankful away from an oil change

Old 07-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Wellll....when I called directly and spoke to technician I was told to do it before, and then perform, oc. I recall reading same advise in Excellence a while back. If you are indeed removing deposits/plaque from the system and flushing them into the oil I would not expect them to "burn off". If you are not accomplishing this why do it? I would time it w my oil change if I were going to use it. Personally I am 40K miles and 8 1/2 years into my car and have no fuel delivery problems. If it is the same stuff as in the gas seems to me you are wasting money. If it is stronger or better at flushing the intake system change the oil. My 2 cents.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:07 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
If you haven't been using Chevron gas or if you "think" you have deposits prior to adding Techron, then I would change. If you have deposits, that dirt will be combined with your oil.

I use Chevron gas and Techron regularly; due to this, I normally add Techron 2K miles before my oil change. Just out of habit.

You have a $100,000.00+ car. Do what comforts you since oil change isn't that expensive compared to your car's value.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:44 PM
vrnkc is on a distinguished road
Many thanks for all the responses.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:31 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Sometimes we all all excited to fix our cars. Thinking a bottle of chevron or bg will make it better. I think all overrated. Just wait for your oil change and do the treatment before. You loose nothing if its a myth you gain a lot if its true.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
IMO, injector cleaners are not fix-it (or make-it-better) items. They are more like maintenance items like oil and tranny fluid; you change oil not to fix things but to keep good lubrication.

Similarly, we use fuel system cleaner not to fix clogged Fuel Components - rather, we try to keep them clean as much as possible.

Personally, oil change, injector cleaners and VITAMINS bug the crap out of me. They do not give us concrete/quantifiable and immediate return on our investments.

Cheers!

Last edited by cab83_750; 07-30-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:32 AM
Hunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really nice
Well when I bought an older air-cooled 911 that had not been driven much for many years, I put 2 cans of techron in the tank (it had a 21 gallon tank) and it made a huge difference, immediately, in how it drove and gas mileage on every tank afterwards went up by 2mpg. So I would say from experience that fuel system cleaners like techron CAN BE a fix-it or make-it-better item if a problem exists, they are not overrated, and they should be used as a maintenance item as well. I run techron thru a tank once a year now.

Although, I've never heard anyone say it's necessary to drain the oil afterwards and I searched a little and cannot find anyone who says to do that and can back it up with a provable reason why.

Last edited by Hunt3R; 07-31-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Hunt3R
Well when I bought an older air-cooled 911 that had not been driven much for many years, I put 2 cans of techron in the tank (it had a 21 gallon tank) and it made a huge difference, immediately, in how it drove and gas mileage on every tank afterwards went up by 2mpg. So I would say from experience that fuel system cleaners like techron CAN BE a fix-it or make-it-better item if a problem exists, they are not overrated, and they should be used as a maintenance item as well. I run techron thru a tank once a year now.

Although, I've never heard anyone say it's necessary to drain the oil afterwards and I searched a little and cannot find anyone who says to do that and can back it up with a provable reason why.
If you had read the post you would have seen that I spoke to the tech staff at Chevron and they so advised me. Likewise there was advise in Excellence to the same effect. You are free to do as you like but the advice here is sound.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
I believe techron works.. It can cure it can prevent...advice here could be good or useless...where would you like to err is the question?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 AM
No actually. The question was not "does Techron work"? but should I change oil after using it. Always best to read a thread before responding. This is getting silly. I'm outta here. Have fun guys.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Hunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really nice
Originally Posted by Gpjli
If you had read the post you would have seen that I spoke to the tech staff at Chevron and they so advised me. Likewise there was advise in Excellence to the same effect. You are free to do as you like but the advice here is sound.
I did read your post, I just didn't find your explanation very convincing. What you were told by a technician one time and recall reading again another time may very well be correct. I'd like to fully understand the mechanism(s) behind those claims though before I go around supporting them. My main point was fuel system cleaners like techron do work from my experience. And that being said, changing the oil more often is always beneficial to the engine regardless of whether a bottle of techron necessitates it.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:32 AM
On Rennlist I found a thread where someone had claimed to have emailed this question to Chevron and received this below in response. Not sure if it's legit but here's what was posted:

Thank you for the inquiry. There is no need to change your vehicles oil after using the Techron Concentrate Plus (TCP). However, Chevron does recommend that you use no more than 5 treatments of the TCP per oil change.

With the use of the TCP there is a concentration of the product in your gas tank which is at least 10 times higher than what is in the gasoline itself. This higher dosage might create the chance that some of the product will manage to get into the oil crankcase and react with certain oil additives therein or dilute the oil itself. This is the main reason for the limitation of use - customers would not want to "overdose" and cause an unsatisfactory amount of the product to be diluting the oil. The directions for use are such that any dilution that might occur would not be a problem.

Again, It makes no difference if you add the Techron Concentrate before or after the oil change.

Regards,
Chevron Fuels Technical Services

Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 AM
This then is the mechanism by which the oil can get diluted. How often you use it will determine how much it gets diluted. The Tech I spoke to from Techron 5 years ago advised to change oil as I reported earlier on this post. One might understand were the manufacturer to minimize concerns about his product on a automobile forum. Whether you change the oil or not is still up to the user and everybody here understood that going in to the thread. I will continue not to use Techron because in my part of the country and using Shell gasoline I have had no problem over long term use. I am over cautious and perhaps over maintain my car changing oil regularly 2x a year. Reading this I would still change the oil if I used Techron and if asked give the same advice. It is as simple as timing it's use with your normal maintainance. If you don't change your oil at least once a year and get an impulse to "help" your car" then I see how this makes a problem. Thanks to Hunt for the additional input.

Last edited by Gpjli; 08-01-2014 at 06:58 AM.