997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1...safe to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 PM
chadw1 is on a distinguished road
997.1...safe to buy?

Hey guys,

I was looking at a 997.2, but the prices drove me away from buying one.. I have an uncontrollable urge to get a 911 lately, and I could easily swing a 997.1's price. I'm just worried about the IMS issue and maintenance. Can any 997.1 owners comment on reliability, and any experts comment on the IMS issue and possible fixes?

My dad had a tip 996 before, so I would definitely go the manual route. (the tip SUCKED!) lol

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
No issues here and mines for sale (link in my sig). Getting a GT3.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by White Rock
No issues here and mines for sale (link in my sig). Getting a GT3.
Is the PSE stock on all S cars? I feel like its an option above just the normal S exhaust for some reason.

thanks

Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Did your dad's 996 have the IMS issue? Some say the '05 models are most prone. My Porsche technician once stated they see it more on 996s than anything else. It's one of those things where you just really need to monitor during oil changes, and perhaps at some point you might have to change it out. Easy job once you get to the part. Are you planning to track the car? If so, you'd want to increase the sump size and get the pan which partitions the sump to keep from starving the pump.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chadw1
Is the PSE stock on all S cars? I feel like its an option above just the normal S exhaust for some reason.

thanks
PSE is optional and like most options, it's hit or miss. My .1 had it and it sounds great. You want it, and Sport Chrono too.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
PSE is an option on the S cars. The 997's that had IMS issues where the 2005's. 2006 and up have the larger bering (mines a 2006).

Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Did your dad's 996 have the IMS issue? Some say the '05 models are most prone. My Porsche technician once stated they see it more on 996s than anything else. It's one of those things where you just really need to monitor during oil changes, and perhaps at some point you might have to change it out. Easy job once you get to the part. Are you planning to track the car? If so, you'd want to increase the sump size and get the pan which partitions the sump to keep from starving the pump.
996 had no issue, very few problems too, just the water pump and a window microswitch.

Would pretty much never track the car, just weekend canyon driving. I would only buy a 2007-08 car either. Would it be worth it too just spring for an 09 c2s with a stick?

The .1's exhaust sounds sooo much better from what ive seen in person though, which makes it tough...

Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 PM
996 had no issue, very few problems too, just the water pump and a window microswitch.

Would pretty much never track the car, just weekend canyon driving. I would only buy a 2007-08 car either. Would it be worth it too just spring for an 09 c2s with a stick?

The .1's exhaust sounds sooo much better from what ive seen in person though, which makes it tough...
I had an '08 6MT and '09 PDK. Both S. Both PASM and Sport chrono. My '08 had PSE and full leather, carbon fiber, and Guards red belts and console tunnel to match the Guards red exterior. Much better looking car than my '09. Advantages of the '09 include a slightly more planted chassis (especially front end), 30 hp power boost, touch screen NAV, ipod use, LED taillights, and no IMS. I never had any issues with my '08. PSE sounded so good. But it has the low midrange rpm cutout, which is a little annoying.

Downside of the .2 is you might hear a clunk when you back up to a parking spot concrete barrier. The motor is mounted lower in the frame and it doesn't clear even small obstacles.

Last edited by Steve997S; 08-01-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
I had an '08 6MT and '09 PDK. Both S. Both PASM and Sport chrono. My '08 had PSE and full leather, carbon fiber, and Guards red belts and console tunnel to match the Guards red exterior. Much better looking car than my '09. Advantages of the '09 include a slightly more planted chassis (especially front end), 30 hp power boost, touch screen NAV, ipod use, LED taillights, and no IMS. I never had any issues with my '08. PSE sounded so good. But it has the low midrange rpm cutout, which is a little annoying.

Downside of the .2 is you might hear a clunk when you back up to a parking spot concrete barrier. The motor is mounted lower in the frame and it doesn't clear even small obstacles.
What is the midrange rpm cutout?

I just feel like i would trip everyday about the IMS in a .1 car, but I hear the 06+ is more stable.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 PM
What is the midrange rpm cutout?

I just feel like i would trip everyday about the IMS in a .1 car, but I hear the 06+ is more stable.
PSE self adjusts to off essentially in the drone range. So as you rev through the range, it fades out and then returns. My '08 RS60 Spyder does it too. You can simply unplug it so it stays in the open position all the time. I did that in my 997 but haven't in my Spyder.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Romysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud of
I have an 07 C2s but I've only had it for 1.5 years/6k miles. So far so good. I had a 996 c4s before the 997 and completely freaked out on the IMS issue and eventually traded it for the 997.1. I've researched the IMS issue it to death and what I've learned was it seems the failures are completely random. There's not enough data points to isolate the pattern of failures, I.,e., mileage, track or street use, maintenance history, etc. What I've also learned was you can minimize the risk by religiously keeping up with the maintenance schedule. You should also a get PPI by a good Porsche Indy. Request that he crack the oil filter and test the oil for signs of metal debris. Finally, for peace of mind, get a CPO car. Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:36 AM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Hey guys,

I was looking at a 997.2, but the prices drove me away from buying one.. I have an uncontrollable urge to get a 911 lately, and I could easily swing a 997.1's price. I'm just worried about the IMS issue and maintenance. Can any 997.1 owners comment on reliability, and any experts comment on the IMS issue and possible fixes?

My dad had a tip 996 before, so I would definitely go the manual route. (the tip SUCKED!) lol

Thanks!
Must be thousands of threads on this topic. Best I've been able to gather having read a lot of them is that the failure rate on IMS cars (-99 through -08) is somewhere in the less than 5% range, tapering off with the -06 and later models. Some suggest that cars that are rarely driven are more prone than daily drivers but who knows. Porsche has always refused to share statistics on this.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Hunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really nice
All you have to do is a little searching! I really don't see how so many people are unclear on this. The 911 has been one of the most reliable sports cars and major issues are very rare. This article from Hartech explains the possible major issues with the 997 engine in full detail and is well worth the read: http://www.hartech.org/docs/buyers%2...20part%205.pdf

As for the IMS specifically though, there are 3 IMS bearings used in 996's and 997.1's:
  • A smaller single row bearing was used in some 99-01 996's and is mostly found in 01-05 engines, including early 05 997's, and it can easily be replaced by removing the transmission so it is treated as a wear item and anytime the clutch is replaced the IMS bearing should be replaced too. Along with the RMS too while you're in there. Failure rate is reported at approximately 8%.
  • A dual row bearing was found in some 99-02 996's, this bearing is also serviceable however the load capacity is higher and failure rate much lower at approximately 1%.
  • A larger single row bearing is found in late 05 997's thru 2008. This bearing is not serviceable without breaking open the engine case so it can only be replaced when doing an engine rebuild, however it is extremely unlikely to fail. The load capacity is the same as the earlier dual row bearing and reported failure rates are supposedly 1% or less.

I purposely sought out an early 05 997 S with the smaller single row bearing so I could replace it whenever I do the clutch.

If you want to know for sure which IMS bearing a 997 has then get the engine number off the lower drivers side of the sump where it's stamped and look it up on this table:

Last edited by Hunt3R; 08-02-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: corrections to some stuff
Old 08-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Hunt3R
All you have to do is a little searching! I really don't see how so many people are unclear on this. The 911 has been one of the most reliable sports cars and major issues are very rare. This article from Hartech explains the possible major issues with the 997 engine in full detail and is well worth the read: http://www.hartech.org/docs/buyers%2...20part%205.pdf

As for the IMS specifically though:
  • There are 2 IMS bearings used in 996's and 997.1's, a single row and a dual row bearing. The single row is reported to have appoximately an 8% failure rate while the dual row a 1% failure rate.
  • The single row bearing can easily be replaced by removing the transmission so it is treated as a wear item and anytime the clutch is replaced the IMS bearing should be replaced too. Along with the RMS too while you're in there.
  • The dual row bearing is not serviceable without breaking open the engine case so it can only be replaced when doing an engine rebuild, however it is extremely unlikely to fail.
  • The single row was mostly used from 99-05, but some engines will have the dual row bearing. Mostly the dual row is found in early 99 and some 02-03 996's, and then late 05-08 997.1's all used the dual row bearing too.
I purposely sought out an early 05 997 S with a single row bearing so I could replace it whenever I do the clutch.

If you want to know for sure which IMS bearing a 997 has then get the engine number off the lower drivers side of the sump where it's stamped and look it up on this table:

Not correct.... the later 997.1 models have a larger single row bearing.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Hunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really niceHunt3R is just really nice
Originally Posted by Fahrer
Not correct.... the later 997.1 models have a larger single row bearing.

You are correct, sir. I corrected my post to clarify the difference, although the load capacity and failure rates are supposedly the same.

(it would help if you weren't quoting my whole post with the old info so as to not confuse people)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1...safe to buy?