997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Metal clanking noise in my engine - Porsche can't fix it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Metal clanking noise in my engine - Porsche can't fix it!

Somebody please help me. I've taken my '12 997S to the dealer 5 times since 2012 trying to fix this awful "clacking" engine noise. Each time they claim they fix it, but it's right back after a couple of days. The car has spent a total of 4.5 months sitting in the shop. The service manager, PCNA FTM, and PCNA "customer care" are already involved.

It doesn't take a master mechanic to figure out that the engine has some sort of mechanical problem. (Although if there are any master mechanics out there you and you know what it is, please share.)

They've replaced all sorts of parts:
water pump (twice), fuel pump, oil pump, power steering pump, alternator, belt tensioner, chain tensioner, AC compressor, plus more

During the last visit, they discovered that the factory never installed one of the oil pump chain rails. (Who knows what else Stuttgart "forgot" to install on my engine) That didn't fix the problem either.

Any advice for me? (other than "buy a Toyota...")

Last edited by gasongasoff; 09-16-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:53 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
someone's in there typing...one finger kind of...

Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
I believe this qualifies for a "lemon law" candidate.

Hard to tell sound issues without hearing in person. However, FYI, the sound is closer to 'spark/ignition' .

I agree: it does not take a master mechanic to figure out that something is wrong---I think that's a ticking bomb. Sorry for being blunt.

Since PCNA is already involved, I could not recommend trying a different dealer.

For the money you paid, including the inconveniences, aggravation, etc., I would start getting aggressive with demands (assuming of course that you have been very very nice for the last umpteen visits).

Last edited by cab83_750; 09-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:45 PM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cab83_750
Hard to tell sound issues without hearing in person. However, FYI, the sound is closer to 'spark/ignition' .
I agree, sounded like something electrical.....maybe one of the spark plug wire is cracked (or pinched) leaking charges or something

Old 09-16-2014, 04:57 PM
rickdogg82 will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a coin in the clothes dryer to me. Something metallic captured in the exhaust system?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Check out Ca lemon law to see what recourse you have.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:13 PM
too tall will become famous soon enough
Pardon me for taking a WAG however that sound is a dead ringer for a poorly grounded system seeking ground...in brief that's a familar sparking sound. Park it in a dark garage, flip the engine bay open and perhaps you'll see something.

FWIIW I know this from working on really old trucks. Same darn sound.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:50 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=cab83_750;4196714]I believe this qualifies for a "lemon law" candidate.

I agree. My 1993 964 was basically declared a lemon without being one. Porsche stepped in and traded cars with me, and mine was over brake squeal primarily.

Sent certified letters to dealership, Sales Manager, VP and GM and also to DM and GM at PCNA. Less than a week later I had a new 1997 993.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
If the sound is actually from a metal or a part just getting tossed around, just imagine the damage that metal had caused inside the engine.

This appears to be a ticking bomb.

Try your best to get a replacement or refund. Let them know, preferably in writing, that they are also responsible for your safety and life with this engine.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:03 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
seems it s the dealers and Porsche s move next.....

Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Just wanted to update everyone. PCNA has agreed to replace the entire motor with a remanufactured unit. I think that was the fair and reasonable thing to do. I really think the service mgr and PCNA technician were very careful and methodical in looking for the source of the noise. I asked, and electrical was one of the first things they looked at. Everyone had great advice, I really appreciate it, and I was definitely started to head down the lemon law route, although my preference was to have PCNA do the right thing. I guess I could have made a video like the guy with the 991 problems, but I don't have a charming British accent like him. Will report back again once this is all resolved.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Congrats!

It's always good to work things out with the other party before invoking any rights, laws, etc. You did the right thing.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Glad to see everything worked out gasongasoff! When do you expect to have the car back?

Old 10-08-2014, 11:06 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Congratulations on getting them to come around. Hope everything goes well on the replacement.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
I thought 997.2 doesn't have metal flying around in the engine like IMS fallout on 997.1. Shall we start another thread, DFI engine failure J/K
Back to the OP, please keep us inform with cost of the new engine (I know dealer paying for it, but would be nice for us enthusiast to know) and if they found the source of the clacking sound. Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Metal clanking noise in my engine - Porsche can't fix it!