997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sunroof operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:56 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Jh is our walking owners manual reference. I can only say wow brother. ryem3., 2010 one click vent open and close, one click sunroof open and close...what gives? When you want to stop just press again during the operation.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Jpara98 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Jh is our walking owners manual reference. I can only say wow brother. ryem3., 2010 one click vent open and close, one click sunroof open and close...what gives? When you want to stop just press again during the operation.
Bgrpph hit the nail on the head. For some reason, whatever it is, sometimes you have to reteach or reset the roof. Having done some programming in the past I suspect it related to position and counts. It's wasn't a manner if not following the manual, but rather resetting the position (ie re teaching) was necessary.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
My 09 Turbo (997.1) does not auto close!Wonder if the Durametric can change that.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:41 AM
sxhsthth is on a distinguished road
Should only be one touch at the back of the button.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:08 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Exact Same Issue Here!

Reviving an old thread here - I'm having the exact same issue described by the OP with the sunroof operation. One night I was closing it from the tilt position and I heard a loud snap. Now it has all these strange symptoms like no more one-touch operation, and in order to open the sliding roof, I must first tilt open then close - driving me nuts!

I tried all the solutions mentioned in this thread with 're-teaching' the roof but when holding the buttons for more than 10 seconds, the roof never moves. I also saw the suggestion it could be a faulty switch, but no follow-up to understand if it worked or not. I hate to order a new switch if that's not the issue. Any suggestions?

Old 12-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Pcar416 will become famous soon enoughPcar416 will become famous soon enough
I have had the problem with my car for over 2 years now. Changing the switch didn't work. I was then quoted over $600 to replace the motor. It is very annoying to have to close and tilt the roof in order to open it

Old 01-21-2017, 02:22 PM
nycc4s09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Roof not functioning properly

seems a few of you have the same problem I am suddenly having. Out of nowhere lift/open/close started acting whacky. Whats worse, now it is in lift up position, and can't get it closed. Tried with allen wrench, and wouldn't budge. Heard the same pop described by others.

I had my car in for detailing, and xpel re-wrap, and thought perhaps something got caught in the track, but now that i read this thread I am not so sure.

I would hate to think i have to have the stealer tell me I need new motor mechanism, etc. etc.

Suggestions?

Old 06-02-2021, 11:03 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
same issue on my '03; replaced the switch, didn't help. Not spending $$ for a motor...but doing some research it appears a good cleaning of the tracks and lubrication and resetting the switch/motor has solved the problem for some. I am going to try that after I reinstall the motor, took it out for servicing/lube.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:23 AM
forbes210 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BMiller33
same issue on my '03; replaced the switch, didn't help. Not spending $$ for a motor...but doing some research it appears a good cleaning of the tracks and lubrication and resetting the switch/motor has solved the problem for some. I am going to try that after I reinstall the motor, took it out for servicing/lube.
I had the same problem. It started when one cold day I wanted to tilt open and I guess small ice formation held the roof and I heard pop. If I'll reprogram it it will work properly just for short period of time. I tried everything and ended up breaking some pieces in mechanism. I had to replace entire system and sunroof will still operate the same. Eventually I replaced the motor and all the problems went away.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:38 PM
epik high is on a distinguished road
I’ve had this issue for years now. I can do a reset and it works for about 15 minutes before it can’t auto close again.

My mechanic said I likely need to change the motor at the cost of $600. I’ve read elsewhere that you can find a used motor in a junkyard and install it without having to remove the roof trim but seems like a ton of work for me to attempt.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:29 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
the motor comes out easily w/o headliner removal. Used motors run about $300. I took mine out cleaned the gears reinstalled and reset my switch (new) and it’s working good for now.

Originally Posted by epik high
I’ve had this issue for years now. I can do a reset and it works for about 15 minutes before it can’t auto close again.

My mechanic said I likely need to change the motor at the cost of $600. I’ve read elsewhere that you can find a used motor in a junkyard and install it without having to remove the roof trim but seems like a ton of work for me to attempt.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:17 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
About ready to replace my motor - roof is getting worse.

However, I have found most of the posted reset instructions do nothing in my 997.2, as in nothing happens. I found another post somewhere that worked for my car:

1 - close the sliding roof
2 - hold the forward/close button (referred to as Rocker Switch B in the manual) for several seconds / don't release it
3 - the sliding roof will go through an opening / closing / sliding sequence that ends with it closed.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:09 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Sliding Roof Motor / Sunroof Motor replacement

New "Sliding Roof", aka, Sunroof motor installed. I got it for $467 from a local dealer order - 99762421300 - Porsche Sunroof Motor | Porsche Atlanta Perimeter, Atlanta GA (porscheatlantaperimeterparts.com). Part number is: 99762421300.

The installation was fairly easy, and I followed this 996 guide which was close enough - https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...DY-Sunroof.htm

Notes and photos:
1 - Removing the garage door switches: there is a small slot, one-eighth inch maybe, on the front edge toward the windshield. If you pop a small screwdriver in there and pry, the switches pop out easily enough. My switches have always bothered me as the far right is the 1, then 2 & 3 coming toward the driver's side. As if they are UK installed. Unfortunately, they cannot be relocated to make more sense due to the way they fit - the plug is in the way for reversing them, so don't bother with that if you have the same issue...

2 - The two screws to release the dome cover were difficult to break loose - I had a T-handle screwdriver that gave me enough leverage to start them. With the screws removed, I was able to pry the dome cover with a soft trim tool starting at the edge near the sunroof.

3- With the dome cover open, you can slide it back toward the mirror and it will release and come free from a few support clips. There is a rubber grommet on the cover where the mirror stalk fits - don't drop it or lose it and note how it fits in case you must put it back on.

4 - I removed the plugs from the sunroof switch, the homelink switches, and the dome lamp switch - those last two were a nightmare and I'm not sure if I have bad technique with those plugs or if there is no easy way. They seem to have some sort of area that needs to be compressed to release a "pin" that holds them it - the pin is visible on the dome light plug, but hidden on the homelinks. So if you don't need to unplug these, maybe don't!

5 - Now you can see the motor and if you have a replacement, you know what you are looking at and can see the two Torx screws you need to remove to take it out. Remove the two screws.

6 - You'll now think this will be impossible to do without removing the roof liner. Relax! There are two screws into the roof liner near the motor that were hidden by the dome. Remove those. Now you have just enough give in the liner to carefully get the motor out.

7 - Now the motor can be rotated toward you to release its gear from the sunroof track gear. When you do that, you'll see an airplane wing shaped washer with a hole that the motor gear goes through. Be careful to note how the washer fits and catch it as it will fall off the motor as you rotate it so that the gear is visible.

8 - Work the motor to the right so that the plug on the left is just exposed enough to unplug it. Now carefully work the plug side of the motor out through the roof liner hole and then slide the motor to the left and out. Viola!

9 - Slide the new motor in, gear facing you, then plug it in and replace the washer that surrounds the gear! Now rotate the motor back so the gear meshes with the track gear. Replace the two Torx screws.

10 - Test now. With the power on, hold the forward sunroof button for about 10 seconds until a rest process starts where the roof will cycle through all the open / close positions and then return to closed. If that goes well, then you are set!

11 - Replace the Dome Cover hooking it in near the windshield / mirror and then snapping it into place taking care not to crush any of the wiring. Install the screws into the dome cover and then the homelink switches.

12 - Get a beer! You deserve it.

Remove those two screws near the clips in the roof line to make removing the motor easier.

Here is the motor rotated forward exposing the washer and gear. Remove that washer and put it on the replacement motor.

Motor pushed to the right so the plug on the left can be unplugged. Now the motor can be pulled out.

Last edited by stevepow; 10-04-2021 at 07:13 PM. Reason: photos
Old 10-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Also took the opportunity to replace the "soft paint" dome cover with a leather one. All the soft paint surfaces get so tattered - I've done the easy ones - anything else, like the door handle surrounds, are a bit past my tenacity...for now.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:49 AM
gorilladan is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had this issue where mine only works in full manual mode! thanks for posting the steps to re-program