997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Another new 997 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 PM
andy92782 is on a distinguished road
Another new 997 owner

Hi all,

Former BMW guy checking in. I recently sold my beloved E90 335i of nearly 8 years and replaced it with this 2010 C2S. Factory options list includes: PDK, Sport Chrono, heated and cooled seats, Bose, navigation and a bunch of other stuff that's not totally necessary but still kinda cool.

I've made fun Porsches and their owners for years and now here I am, all in, gulping down the Kool-aid and loving every minute of it.

For now my only planned change involves getting rid of the amber cornering lights and possibly acquiring some sort of roof rack to transport my MTB (sometimes I need to get to the trailhead in less time than it takes my 4runner). The price of the factory 997 roof rack is eye-opening; I'm debating whether or not I want to use a few REI gift cards to go the Yakima route instead.

Last edited by andy92782; 10-20-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Rob_G is on a distinguished road
Congrats. Nice car!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Still really new with this car - I've only run one tank of gas through it.

Initial impressions:
- Bose audio sucks compared to the Logic7 system in my old E90. Where's the bass?
- Rear weight bias is RAD when it comes to acceleration. The car flat out hooks.
- It's *spectacular* on mountain roads. Part of my first gas tank was spent flogging it on Mulholland and other twisties located near Malibu. The 997 does not disappoint.
- How can something so fast get such good gas mileage?!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Romysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud of
Looks great! Congrats!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Congrats! And agreed on the mpg tis awesome. Enjoy the car.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Most BMW people make fun of the Porsche crowd, measure performance against Porsche's, etc...I had two M3's before my first Porsche and the BMW club folks always bragged when they beat a Porsche on the track or something and always tried to convince themselves the M3 was better. Of course believed them because I wanted to.

But after I drove my first 911, I knew, there was NO substitute. Simply hearing that flat six fire up behind you is a great feeling, never mind how it hooks up and performs.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome, it's a beauty. There are aftermarket roof racks available for the 911 for almost any sport. Enjoy.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:07 AM
too tall will become famous soon enough
Congratulations. Beautiful car.
I am in the same boat using my car to get to ride starts.
Ultimately the Porsche crossbars are superior paired with rocky mount trays. I am very happy with this:
http://www.rockymounts.com/Euro_Pitc...ack_p/1102.htm

Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Congrats!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Congratulations and welcome to the 6 If you decide to go with the Porsche RTS system Click Here for more information. Enjoy!

Old 10-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Don
But after I drove my first 911, I knew, there was NO substitute. Simply hearing that flat six fire up behind you is a great feeling, never mind how it hooks up and performs.
The sound is incredible. I have to admit the performance capabilities on this car are at a completely different level compared to what I'm used to. There's nothing cooler than pushing the Sport Plus button and burying the gas pedal into the carpet but man, my clean driving record is seriously at risk..

Old 10-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by too tall
Congratulations. Beautiful car.
I am in the same boat using my car to get to ride starts.
Ultimately the Porsche crossbars are superior paired with rocky mount trays. I am very happy with this:
http://www.rockymounts.com/Euro_Pitc...ack_p/1102.htm
I need to meet up with someone locally who has the factory Porsche crossbars. I actually still have a BMW MTB tray from my old 335; I'm wondering if it will mount to the Porsche crossbar. Alternatively, I've got a Sportworks tray that I sometimes use on my 4Runner (which is actually Thule) that works great with my bike (a 29er Santa Cruz Tallboy) and is very secure.

I'd prefer the Porsche crossbars but man are they pricey for what they are. Oh well, I dove into this pcar thing eyes wide open, it's the new cost of doing business.

Last edited by andy92782; 10-21-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:44 AM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Don
Most BMW people make fun of the Porsche crowd, measure performance against Porsche's, etc...I had two M3's before my first Porsche and the BMW club folks always bragged when they beat a Porsche on the track or something and always tried to convince themselves the M3 was better. Of course believed them because I wanted to.

I think a lot of BMW drivers admire Porsche cars and for many of them it is the next logical step in terms of cars. I agree they do try very hard to put the m3 on par with the 911 but is not all about numbers. The visceral feeling of a 911 and connection with the car is not something I felt quite as strongly when driving any of my M cars (though I liked them very much).

Old 10-21-2014, 03:46 PM
stavros is on a distinguished road
Classic silver 911 - congrats!

There is this feeling and smile that you'll get every time you open the garage door.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
You won't ever look back to BMW ever again, I've owned 335i, M3, and M6 but once I bought my first 911, I never look back again. Well, except if the M6 come with manual tranny
You got a very nice looking 911. Enjoy the new ride.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another new 997 owner