997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wheel and Tire insurance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Lifeisgood2 is on a distinguished road
Wheel and Tire insurance

Well, when I bought my 2011 CPO 911S with 9K miles this year, I bought the wheel and tire insurance. The dealer was asking $1900.00. We settled on $1700.00 for 5 years of coverage.
Well, would you not know it but I got a flat on the left rear wheel. I called the dealer and they ordered the tire, took 2 days. Using my Gold AAA card, I had the car flatbedded to the dealer and had a new Pirelli Zero on the car. No cost for the tow from AAA and the insurance paid for the new tire as it was a road hazard. List from the dealer on the tire, $450.00. I guess it wasn't so bad to purchase it, especially that I have Turbo II wheels on the car, which if damaged would be quite expensive.
Anyone else have wheel and tire insurance as well?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:13 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
No, never did. The way I see it is you still have to do this a few more times just to break even. I have been lucky I guess. Probably depends on what type of area you drive in. Well it s peace of mind if nothing else.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:12 PM
blazinginder is on a distinguished road
I have a 5 year wheel/tire insurance...I quite frankly am very happy I got it. In the past 3 years I've had 3-4 tires replaced and have already broken even and then some. The best part for me is I take the car to the dealer each time and get a loaner while they order the tire, which can take some time if the tire is backordered or not in stock...and don't need to have the car taken to a tire place (because of better pricing) since I'm not paying for it.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:46 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
I also have wheel & tire service 5yr. but fortunately have never had to use it.Wheels are way to expensive to think about a flat on the highway and not having it!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I bought it with my CPO 997 TT. It includes OE windshield replacement too. I haven't had to use it so far.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:58 PM
s4alex is on a distinguished road
My thought on extended warranty... I don't buy em..

I just put away anywhere from $100-200 a month into an Auto account. In that 5 years, that is about $6000-12000 accumulated or $1200-2400 per year.

If I need it for tires/wheels/windshield or any car repair not covered under normal warranty, money is there. If I don't. Bonus. Plus, I earn interest on the money.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
If you receive tire replacement for one tire, I always thought two tires need to be replaced. So, I guess if get a flat with one tire that is not repairable, you need to purchase the second tire? Or is Porsche ok with replacing only one tire, even though the other stock tire is half worn?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:06 PM
hot nikon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by s4alex

I just put away anywhere from $100-200 a month into an Auto account. In that 5 years, that is about $6000-12000 accumulated or $1200-2400 per year.

If I need it for tires/wheels/windshield or any car repair not covered under normal warranty, money is there. If I don't. Bonus. Plus, I earn interest on the money.

This, right here.

I did buy wheel/tire insurance at purchase, but it was $806 in 2009, replaced 2 new rears in 6 months, paid for itself.

It replaced 4 tires, so I was up, so to speak.

Put $200 a month in your Porsche kitty, your money, I've got almost $10k in mine, it will cover almost anything. Might spend some of it on new wheels, the money belongs to me. Mine is a 6 speed (PDK is $14k to replace, that turned me off to PDK) 3.8 DFI engine, so...

Old 01-31-2015, 07:39 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Total waste of money. First, the new Michelin super sports are much cheaper than the older ps2s. Second, if you managed to damage a forged room (pretty unlikely) you can get a perfectly good used one for a fraction of what a dealer would charge.

Compare the insurance cost with the going rate of a complete set of used rims with good tires, which sell on the forum for about $2k. No brainer.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:16 PM
JustinCase is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by s4alex

This.

As with all types of insurance, the insurance company goes out of business unless they win more often than they lose. You can read all the empirical accounts of insurance "paying for itself" you want to -- and they're probably all true -- but you better understand there are far more losers. Most insurance companies are filthy rich to the point where they have trouble investing all their earnings.

On the other hand, the only problem with saving money up front is the discipline. Put $100 a month away in a dedicated account (or place) for whatever contingency, whether it is a tire, a wheel, a windshield, a water pump, or a washer and dryer. I always took it out of my check first before I had a chance to spend it. It's always easier to live on "what's left" than to try to save "what's left" because there's never anything left.

If you end up piling up more savings than you need to feel comfortable, there's always mods calling your name. The cool thing about totally controlling your own money is that *you* get to decide. No arguing with an insurance adjuster necessary.

Years ago, my wife and I finished paying off one of our first cars. We had maintained it well and it was still in good condition. So we kept making car payments -- to ourselves in an interest-bearing account. We still do this, and we have paid cash for vehicles ever since including our 997. The wealth difference between *paying* compound interest and *earning* compound interest is the sum of the absolute values. Over a couple decades it is a heck of a lot of money.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
$1700 to insure, what? $5000...maybe?? As "robot" on Lost in Space once said "that does not compute".

Old 02-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
On a similar note, I was in Daytona last week for the Rolex and noticed a number of "rent a wheel" places!! Ha! Freaking awesome! Rent wheels for the car you're "renting" weekly from the we finance anybody place...BRILLIANT! I was obviously not in Kansas anymore.