997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

gaaaaahhh stupid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:35 PM
mkoenigsheim is on a distinguished road
gaaaaahhh stupid

thought i would share my days fun...

I bought a set of Dectane Rear lights last week - fronts with DRL's installed and looking awesome convinced me to give the cars backside a facelift.

They arrived today and I rushed outside to install them like a 5 year old with a new bike :-)

Removed my old lights and grabbed the 1st one.

And

damned connector was wrong - was a female connector - so that would be a female to female connection then.

What stupid product is this. Considered splicing the cables for a while, then thought about changing the looms over. then thought no, this is faulty, I will return them and try somewhere else...

Back onto the web to review me order - - - - - Yep. I ordered a pair for a 996.
what an idiot.
Very helpful guys and the store laughed at me and put a correct set in the post today..

Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
just trade in the 997 for a 996 - problem solved

by the way you will love the face/butt lift. Makes the car look 10 years younger

Old 11-26-2014, 02:56 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mkoenigsheim
thought i would share my days fun...

I bought a set of Dectane Rear lights last week - fronts with DRL's installed and looking awesome convinced me to give the cars backside a facelift.

They arrived today and I rushed outside to install them like a 5 year old with a new bike :-)

Removed my old lights and grabbed the 1st one.

And

gods damned connector was wrong - was a female connector - so that would be a female to female connection then.

What stupid product is this. Considered splicing the cables for a while, then thought about changing the looms over. then thought no, this is faulty, I will return them and try somewhere else...

what an idiot.
Very helpful guys and the store laughed at me and put a correct set in the post today..
Glad you got it sorted - fixtures are a different shape/size too, aren't they?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 PM
barbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mkoenigsheim
what an idiot.
Let he who has not ordered the wrong part before cast the first stone.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:30 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by barbancourt
Amen.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
After thinking about the OP's problem, I realized I'd had a similar with the installation of my Stryker rear lights. I had either two male or two female connections all around, which couldn't connect (and I had ordered the correct product!). If I recall correctly, the problem was with the wiring harness, which hadn't been disconnected. I removed the old one, reused it, and everything lined up right. If you ordered 996 lights for a 997, they're obviously never going to work. Just make sure you avoid my dumb mistake.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:01 AM
LOL thanks guys / actually the lights are surprisingly similar / i didn't actually get to the point of trying to fit them in but at a glance they are almost the same.

2nd alarm bell rang when i noticed the reverse light was a bulb not LED'S

Old 11-28-2014, 08:54 AM
All Done :-)
2nd set delivered within 36 hours (it pays to live in Germany sometimes)

Simple install - 15 mins this time! Got an error message that went as soon as I started the motor.

So November was a lighting month!
  • Front LED'S
  • DRL Module
  • Rear LED'S

Final Final thought might be the side lights but this is crazy.. Unlike in the US they only light up when the indicator is being used so I never see them...

Old 11-28-2014, 09:09 AM
In case anybody asks, Number plate LED'S were done a couple of months ago.

Actually twice...

1st set looked great but had a large resistor attached to the unit:

These worked great for 5 months - then one of the resistors fell off. It is still today somewhere between the rear bumper and engine hear shield... BE WARNED - if you buy this type of light, you need to fasten this resistor somewhere somehow. I had fastened it but i must have come loose.

2nd set appears to be a newer design - almost the same price but the resistor is build into the lighting unit - clean and simple.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:02 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Originally Posted by barbancourt
very well said.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:31 PM
The new lights look great! Congrats.