997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Rattling Noise While Driving Over Bumps - Loose Lens in Engine Compartment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 AM
o'bluetouring is on a distinguished road
997.2 Rattling Noise While Driving Over Bumps - Loose Lens in Engine Compartment

I've been hearing some rattling noise coming from the passenger side backseat areas whenever I drive on bumpy roads. I know there are several threads that talked about various possibilities, but I think mine is sourced from the plastic lens/cover for the light housing inside the engine compartment.

I popped the cover and banged it lightly, and I was able to mimic the noise. After some investigation, I noticed the plastic lens/cover moves left/right and up/down when I push it slightly. My question is: is the lens/cover is supposed to be secured and right, or is it supposed to move?

A side comment/question: my 2010 C2 is now in its CPO coverage, but the dealer said they'll have to charge me $175/hr for investigating the rattling issue. If it's found the rattling noise is caused by broken parts, then the diagnosis fee/replacement will be covered by the warranty. However, if it's found the noise can be eliminated by using just felt tapes or adjustments, then I'll be responsible for the labor. Is that typical for CPO warranty?

Name:  image-2990064346.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  526.6 KB

Thank for the help!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:30 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
If you remove the lens completely and drive the car, does the noise go away? If so, that'll be $175.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 AM
noavgdrvr is on a distinguished road
lol... try removing the lens cover, take drive and see what happens.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Guess it is is if that is what the dealer says.

I have no direct experience with having noises addressed under warranty, new car warranty or CPO.

However, my 996 Turbo had noises from new and these were addressed under the new car warranty. (I learned this from reading through all the CPO paperwork I received -- the salesman supplied me with a copy -- prior to buying the car used.)

OH, I have to mention the noises/rattles were addressed by the proper application of pieces of felt to quiet a noisy sun roof.

In the case of your car, I would kind of expect that were any rattles noises present these would likewise be addressed and covered by the CPO warranty. But I have not read the CPO warranty fine print.

And like I started out with if the dealer says this is the way it works, then this is the way it works unless you can find something in the warranty fine print that contradicts what the dealer claims and just as important get the dealer to agree its interpretation was wrong. Good luck with that.

As others have suggested you can do your own investigation and see if you can affect the noise by removing the light or perhaps taping over it temporarily with some duct tape or jamming pieces of thin felt around the housing, doing something relatively simple and non-destructive and temporary to see if you can at least get an idea of where the noise is coming from.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone! As for the CPO warranty, I didn't get any paperwork at all. Was I supposed to get one?

The lens is not removable, as its part of the housing that the bulb connects to. Can the housing be unplugged completely from the harness?

Old 02-28-2015, 01:52 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
put a piece of ductape over area and see if noise goes away if it doesn't try JB Weld.....just kidding on JB Weld

Old 02-28-2015, 10:13 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by o'bluetouring
Thanks everyone! As for the CPO warranty, I didn't get any paperwork at all. Was I supposed to get one?

The lens is not removable, as its part of the housing that the bulb connects to. Can the housing be unplugged completely from the harness?
I got a CPO booklet, the CPO checklist showing what was checked and done and a roadside assistance card.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Approved brochure.pdf (699.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:39 PM
noavgdrvr is on a distinguished road
The lens electric connector can be separated after you pop out the lens. Very easy to do.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by o'bluetouring

My vague recollection is that after I bought my CPO car a week or two later I received something in the mail that confirmed the car had received a CPO warranty. I bought the car on the condition it was covered by a CPO warranty.

If you want visit a Porsche dealer and supply your car's VIN and ask if the dealer -- SM I guess -- can confirm the car has a CPO warranty.

Almost certainly the housing can be removed - after first being unbolted or at least unclipped -- and then disconnected from the wiring harness, but I am not at the car to be able to tell you the steps.

Is the housing loose? If so then it can account for the noise and removing it and placing a piece of felt were the housing is showing signs of contact with the surrounding metal can have the housing quiet.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks again for the feedbacks. I'll try to play with it later tonight. After looking at things and banging the lid again, I have a feeling it's more than the lens that's rattling. Hard to imaging the lens rattling noise can travel through the engine compartment (through the noise of engine itself) and get to the interior of the car. I really need to sit in the back and let someone else drive the car so I can get closer to the source.

As for the CPO, the sales who sold me the car sent me a screenshot last week saying it's CPO, and the service department also stated my car is under CPO coverage (and therefore they can't do diagnosis-only for free). I'll see if they can send me some paperwork in case I decide to sell the car early as I'm sure the potential buyers will want to see it.