997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche SSK Installed: Uh...Like WOW!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:05 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Porsche SSK Installed: Uh...Like WOW!!

The Wife had the Porsche SSK installed by our dealership as an "asked-for" birthday present to me. I almost went with the B&M shifter since it looked more substantial than the Porsche shifter. However, the wife elected to get the Porsche shifter installed by the dealership (in a little more than an hour) since the parts and installation would be covered by the factory warranty. The technicians did a great job of buttoning everything back up. Wife gets major rep points.

The results? All I can say is "WOW". The SSK really tightened up the shift pattern and the throws are now a flick of the wrist between gears vice rowing the shifter around. Anyone sitting on the fence about installing a SSK; stop your procrastinating and just do it!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
I have it my Turbo (factory option) and love it!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I've never driven one without SSK, wonder what it's like w/o it.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:34 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
+1 on this easy and hugely useful mod .... I was disappointed with the ridiculously long throw of the stock shifter so I replaced it last year with the Porsche SSK unit, bought from Suncoast and installed by my indy. What a difference that makes to fully enjoy the 6 speed MT on this fabulous car!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:50 PM
3POINT8 is on a distinguished road
I see the unit for $430 on suncoast. how long does the install take? big mechanic bill?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:24 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
manual transmission must have.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
I had my indy install it, and it was a quick and easy job, definitely less than 2 hours. A stealership, however, will likely be more than happy to charge you twice the time at three times the hourly charge!

Old 07-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
When I got my SSK installed, I wondered why Porsche didn't make it standard with a six speed. Ok, don't answer that. I can't imagine driving a manual with the OE "broomstick" a shifter. The SSK should have been there all along.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Miami4me
When I got my SSK installed, I wondered why Porsche didn't make it standard with a six speed. Ok, don't answer that. I can't imagine driving a manual with the OE "broomstick" a shifter. The SSK should have been there all along.
The hype on the ssk is huge I got to grab me one from all the responses. Who's got the best price?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Alleykat is on a distinguished road
Sounds like Im about to spend some money. Does this SSK unit work better than the aftermarket billet units advertised on here?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Alleykat is on a distinguished road
Is this the same thing pretty much?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...group-buy.html

I'll prob go the OEM route.I hope my car doesn't already have it and I don't know it - which I doubt though.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Blue Chip is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Alleykat
Is this the same thing pretty much?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...group-buy.html

I'll prob go the OEM route.I hope my car doesn't already have it and I don't know it - which I doubt though.
The Numeric is a shame to actually cover up... its an amazing quality piece.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
I was looking in to SSK as well but then got B&M. I managed to get it for 150 bucks from a member on here and it was already installed in the base so install was even easier. I absolutely love it.
Installed it along with new shift cables after originals left me stranded.
Im hopping that one day i can spring for Numeric and their shift cables. That would be the ultimate.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:28 AM
gt2rsobsessed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by carrera997re
The hype on the ssk is huge I got to grab me one from all the responses. Who's got the best price?
Haha I have been thinking the same thing. This is already on the to do list. I always thought to myself that the shifting distance is long. Also neutral to 1st gear sometimes catches on a weird spot, like it doesn't travel the full distance and go in, so I go back and do a neutral shake then shift back into 1st just to be extra careful. Does anyone else experience that with stock shifter?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:35 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I have the BM SSK. Here's my two cents...

Get the numeric shifter. The OE SSK is made of plastic. The BM is aluminum but uses the OE plastic housing. The numeric is a precision instrument. While you're in there, go with the Numeric cables to eliminate the plastic fittings that are prone tho fail leaving you stranded.

-Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche SSK Installed: Uh...Like WOW!!