997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Questions about Gundo hack - is it true that it does not add any power only sound ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:14 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Questions about Gundo hack - is it true that it does not add any power only sound ?

I was recommended to consider the Gundo hack for my 997.1 Carrera 2 in lieu of an aftermarket exhaust system

From what I have read everyone loves the sound and is very happy with this simple modification

SEVERAL people have mentioned that it does NOT make any additional power

I am curious about this because it would seem to me that freeing up the exhaust flow would make additional power but many have said that it does not increase power

Many of the aftermarket muffler set ups are claiming anywhere from 10 to 20 hp gains - such as fabspeed, AP, Borla etc

So is it true that the Gundo hack only is going to make more sounds (noise) but not make me any power ?

Please lend me your thoughts on this

Thanks

Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
On my '09 Carrera S I first did the AWE crossover pipes (eliminating the center muffler). The exhaust note did not change drastically like I thought it would, but there was a slight increase in throttle response. When I added the Gundo Hack I got the sound I wanted but did not experience any increase in power over what I got with the crossover pipes. So, yeah the the hack is more for sound (a great sound I might add) rather than an increase in power or performance.

I always question the performance claims by manufacturers of bolt-on parts.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:32 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PTParks
On my '09 Carrera S I first did the AWE crossover pipes (eliminating the center muffler). The exhaust note did not change drastically like I thought it would, but there was a slight increase in throttle response. When I added the Gundo Hack I got the sound I wanted but did not experience any increase in power over what I got with the crossover pipes. So, yeah the the hack is more for sound (a great sound I might add) rather than an increase in power or performance.

I always question the performance claims by manufacturers of bolt-on parts.
I agree with questioning the power claims of those making performance parts -

But

I am wondering did anyone do a dyno test on any of the aftermarket exhaust mufflers or the Gundo Hack ?

It seems in conformity that all the exhaust companies are claiming between 10 - 20 hp with the muffler systems

For example with my Fabspeed rear cat delete pipes on my 08 CTT I picked up significant power gains I could feel - along with a nice snarl to it - a great set of parts - also fit like a glove

Thanks

Old 07-27-2015, 02:40 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
I have never seen any claims for a power gain with the Porsche Performance Exhaust option (valve controlled exhaust path). The Gundo Hack works on the same principal (exhaust detour) except without the ability to control the sound with a button on the dash.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:38 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
IMHO just changing a muffler will not give u more power (gundo or aftermarket). In fact, with some mufflers, u may feel the car is slower in early rpm due to lack of proper back pressure.

to get actual power increase, u will also have to change ur cat, headers, intake, maybe plenum, and tie it all together with a proper tune.

only advantage I see for aftermarket exhaust is its 1) lighter weight and 2) it can be part of whole intake/exhaust system for proper match and power increase

Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 08957

For example with my Fabspeed rear cat delete pipes on my 08 CTT I picked up significant power gains I could feel - along with a nice snarl to it - a great set of parts - also fit like a glove

cat delete is the easiest way to pick up some extra power since that's where the bottleneck usually is.

but that's different from changing the muffler

Old 07-27-2015, 07:13 PM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
I would not recommend Cat delete on a DD.
I tried NHP cat-bypass pipes and it was hard to breathe at stoplights. And that was winter, i cant imagine what it would be now when its 80+. Also the sound was extremely raspy.
So i got a set of Magnaflow 200 Cell cats and had them welded in to the pipes. Better flow than stock but enough restriction for the gas not to slowdown (I don't feel any loss of down low) and sounds much better, not as raspy and leaning more towards GT3 sound when in upper RPM at load.

Also, and i know im going to get roasted here as allot of people have them but, PERSONALY i would not get the X-pipe high flow catalytic setup. In MY opinion it opens up exhaust too much and gas slows down, causing loss at lower RPM. Or as you may read everywere, loss of back preasure. Except many people have no idea what it is and why it causes power loss ....
It sure helps a ton at high RPM but if the car is a DD, the power is worthless in that RPM range.

Last edited by malahhaor; 07-27-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Rotor is on a distinguished road
With Fister mufflers if anything, I noticed a minimal loss of low end torque. Performance wise, not until I added Fabspeed headers did I notice a positive result. The Fisters sound great. I don't expect horsepower from Fister/Gundo. This is my "seat of the pants dyno" experience. YMMV

Old 07-28-2015, 01:59 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
I doubt there is any increase in HP but the sound is what it is all about.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:06 PM
millertimefl is on a distinguished road
On my 997.2 the loss of low end torque after the gundo was huge. I love the sound but if I would have known how bad the loss of tq was I probably would not have done it. It is annoying when DDing the car from light to light. I almost feel like I am going to stall unless I give it a a good amount of gas taking off.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:30 PM
So let me summarize - hack job =

1. More Noise

2. NO GAIN IN POWER

3. Possible loss in low end TQ

4. More attention from Police

In my old days - having a loud exhaust was always a trade off to get more power and a faster car vs. more attention from the law

This makes no sense. Certainly not from a group of Porsche owners - I could see the SRT 4 crowd going for a get loud and make no more power mod

I certainly want to see at least 10 hp gains from an exhaust cat back or it is a waste of my time and money

Old 07-29-2015, 05:04 AM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
You are mistaken. With gundo hack the exhaust note is louder and has a slightly deeper tone, but nothing that would attract etra attention that you weren't getting alreadu. You need to do allot more to make it loud enough for police to pay extra attention.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 AM
rickdogg82 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 08957
So let me summarize - hack job =

1. More Noise

2. NO GAIN IN POWER

In my old days - having a loud exhaust was always a trade off to get more power and a faster car vs. more attention from the law

This makes no sense. Certainly not from a group of Porsche owners - I could see the SRT 4 crowd going for a get loud and make no more power mod

I certainly want to see at least 10 hp gains from an exhaust cat back or it is a waste of my time and money
Most think that the Gundo sound is the way the car should sound. And it mimics the sounds of the sport exhaust. It is not obnoxious and in no way would it attract unwanted attention. It sounds better and is not very expensive.

It would be a waste of time and money if you are looking for more power. But this mod should be looked at as the equivalent of a cosmetic upgrade - it doesn't do anything to performance. But neither do aftermarket wheels, body kits, wraps, carbon fiber, etc.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:11 AM
1. More Noise

Define "noise". With the Gundo Hack the exhaust picks up a deeper tone that extends throughout the RPM range. We are not talking glasspack mufflers or straight pipes here; the hack allows some of the exhaust to bypass the STOCK muffler and sounds as good or better than the PSE.

2. NO GAIN IN POWER

SO? what do you want for $200 bucks or so? You want HP, plan on spending $2500 or so for a complete aftermarket system. You'll get what, 10-maybe 15 HP gain if you're lucky? That's $160 per HP gained.

I never experienced any decrease in HP or TQ, however I also installed a set of cross-over pipes to eliminate the stock center muffler.

You get more attention from the police by driving 15 mph over the speed limit than you would with the G.H. at full throttle.

Everything in moderation, my man. There's more than one way to get unwanted attention than a couple of modded mufflers. Have you heard a STOCK Ferrari at WOT lately? the G.H. doesn't even come close!!

It's not a power mod; its just an inexpensive way to get a great sound from the stock system.

I certainly want to see at least 10 hp gains from an exhaust cat back or it is a waste of my time and money.

Then plan on being slightly disappointed.

Last edited by PTParks; 07-29-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:05 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
if u don't like the Fister sound then u should be driving a Prius

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions about Gundo hack - is it true that it does not add any power only sound ?