997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche Dual Mode Charger...Flashing Green Lights? Means what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:44 PM
jsimon77 is on a distinguished road

'09 C2S. I just had a brand new battery installed and decided to get a battery maintainer.

I got the Porsche Dual Mode Charger that goes into the lighter. When I plugged it in the first time the orange light showing that it was charging the battery was one. A day or so later the light changed to the green one showing it was charged.

The past couple of days when the car has been sitting, when I look at the charger lights...the orange charge light is lit and the green light is flashing. I have not seen it go back to solid green.

I also noticed when I pulled it out of the lighter the same thing was happening, .the orange charge light is lit and the green light is flashing.

I'm not sure what this means and I no longer have the instruction?

Jason

Old 07-31-2015, 11:15 AM
slammp is on a distinguished road
Not sure on the Porsche specific charger. My battery tender used to do that to indicate that it was maintaining the battery which meant that the battery charge was somewhere between 85% and higher which was the goal. The manual that came with it should say but I would imagine it is similar.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:42 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
ditto, partially charged..i had one battery that never went green, only flashed green, battery failed shortly thereafter.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:59 AM
In the instructions which I found it says that if they are alternating slowly that "it could be a high self discharge of the battery, indicating a bad battery."

I'm not totally sure what that means. The battery is brand new as of a week ago.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:33 PM
Just talked to the company that makes the charger...they said if it is doing this then something is drawing power from it.

Any idea what it could be? The only thing on the car that is not stock is the satellite radio aftermarket module.

Any other things that could be drawing...

Old 08-02-2015, 02:59 PM
hem997 is on a distinguished road
CTEK charger

Did you check that the cigarette lighter socket you're using is not an open circuit or that the plug is fully seated in the socket?

Old 08-03-2015, 04:26 PM
It's an open circuit. They company thinks that maybe my sat radio is draining the battery and so it keep having to charge it when it hits 12.9v.

They say this is not good for it and could over charge...so weird. This seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Racetwin2 is on a distinguished road

I have a ctek charger/maintainer and I slso have a quick connector wirh built in LED:s. I have noticed that it charges up to green but as soon as I unlock the car it goes to yellow. If I open the doors it could even go to red due to the power consumption. As soon as I close the doors and lock up it goes back to green after a while.

I guess it could be something similar? It consumes a lot of power just with the interior lights on etc.