997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rear backup sensor/camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 05:36 AM
Lifeisgood2 is on a distinguished road
Rear backup sensor/camera

I am considering adding rear backup sensors to my 997.2. A dealer recommended installer quoted me $750.00 for the installation of 4 sensors painted to match the bumper. While I am not overly worried about the new holes in the bumper, I would prefer a wireless camera or sensor product. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:53 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Even the factory sensors are drilled into the bumper, good luck.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Generally backup sensors require multiple sensors mounted into the bumper itself. The sensors are radar or sonar based proximity sensors and will give an audible tone when you are close to contacting an obstacle with your car.

An alternative is a backup camera giving you a visual picture of obstacles behind you only, no audible warning. Most of the backup cameras mount near the license plate, some as integrated license plate frames themselves. Here's some examples: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pZ8ozjQ...y-Cameras.html

The best systems do require hard wiring the sensors or cameras. There are some wireless ones out there but they tend to be less integrated into the interior of the car (think a stand alone unit like a Garmin GPS sitting on your dashboard).

I recommend picking a system first: audio (sensors), visual (camera), or both. Then consider how it will integrate into the interior (OEM, aftermarket radio replacement, stand alone unit). Then go find specific equipment.