997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Shipping a car. Help??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 09:23 PM
the997dude is on a distinguished road
Shipping a car. Help??

Hey guys,

I found a Porsche I like online but it's in San Diego and I am in San Francisco. I am unable to go down to San Diego to pick it up and drive it back (as much as I would love to).

I know the shipping should be pretty straight forward. Call the company, arrange a time, etc.

But how about getting the money to the seller and getting the title signed over to me? Is the only way to do it for me to put complete trust in the seller? Anyone have any tips/ideas? (it's from Craigslist. Not through eBay or bring a trailer)

Help ???

Old 08-29-2015, 10:31 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
so you're buying a Pcar sight unseen? You could wire transfer the money bank to bank & (HOPEFULLY) he'll handle the title over to the shipping co. driver. But like you mentioned can you put complete trust in the seller, after the $$'s exchanged. That's a scary thought esp. on Craigslist & scammers. G/L with the purchase

Last edited by MkC2S; 08-29-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:57 PM
the997dude is on a distinguished road
Yeah it's kind of crazy to buy one sight unseen. I was hoping there may be a service that has folks who can go inspect, verify the title has been signed over to you, and confirm the car is on the truck and in route. Then buyer can wire money. Would be cool but probably not a very profitable business. Anyway, I'm still thinking if I should buy or not.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:22 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
Id take a few days off, fly down and hopefully drive back with new car OR find one more local

Old 08-31-2015, 04:35 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
If it was from Pano or Excellence or a PCA member I would not be concerned, but Craig's List, sight unseen??? Not me!

Old 08-31-2015, 05:23 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I hope you're not working 24/7?? Surely you can find a day and time to go 500 miles to inspect, buy and drive your new car home? Fly down Saturday morning, do the deal on Saturday be home Saturday night.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:34 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
2 hour flight down to SD, 2 hours to meet seller at bank, inspect car and exchange money title, top off the tank and drive it home- 10-12 hours. A full day for sure, but doable. I would never buy a car off Craig's list sigh unseen. Caveat Emptor my friend.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:27 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
if you are going to buy it without actually seeing it yourself at least have a ppi done by a good trusted shop so you know you arent buying a total POS. Personally I would only buy like that from a dealer.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:58 AM
rickdogg82 will become famous soon enough
Escrow service. You could also ask that the transaction be made through eBay (at your expense) - he can list it and you buy it. This way you will be subject to the protections offered by eBay (check what they are).

Personally, I could never buy a car sight unseen regardless of the seller. Craigslist is full of scammers. Is the car listed anywhere else like Auto Trader? Craigslist seems like an unlikely sole sales outlet for someone selling a 911.

Last edited by rickdogg82; 08-31-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM
mynextdeal is on a distinguished road
Sight Unseen

Hello All,
My name is Fletcher I own a Company called All Aboard Auto Transport (800 670 7112). The best and most sound advice I can give is to avoid CL if at all possible, specially if the price seems to low.

If you feel that is not the case I would hire an independent Inspector to put eyes on the car and give me a full detailed report. This person can feel out the seller for you. If someone is running a scam on a car that doesn't exist they will not be too keen on an inspector coming by to see it.

As far as the money transfer I would get as much info on the seller as I could ( I would have the inspector make an excuse to get a copy of this persons license). I would get this purchase agreement with this persons name on it just incase it goes south you could have some sort of recourse.

I have seen such scams, as a P car owner I check to see what's out there.
I ran into a guy offering a 993 online for 7500. 993! 7500! Scam!
So I decide to play with him like I was really interested. This guy went from the car being in Fl to him being in Hi but me getting a call from South America telling me all kind of ridiculous thing such as the car was in FL but now it s in Hi and if I didn't like the car he would ship it back to Hi out of his own pocket.
Now a 993 can fetch six figures as all of you p-car enthusiast know. This guy actually called me and I flat out told you should be arrested for trying to run a scam like this. Caveat Emptor.

If this is truly a real car for sale the seller would have no objection to having this car independently verified first. It is probably worth the cost of a plane ticket and a one day trip to lay eyes on it yourself even if you leave it there for a transporter to pick it up. One thing is you get the chance to have the title signed right in front of you.

Inspect it. Pay for it. Take your title. Call me for Shipping.