997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hello, and a question

Old 10-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Ghostcow is on a distinguished road
Hello, and a question

Well, as with many here I finally took the leap and bought a car that I have wanted since I was a kid. First, it needed to be a Porsche as that is the maker I've consistently lusted after since the early 80's. I only real driving experience was with a 1985ish 944 i borrowed from the father to use for a couple of weeks, which meant a 17/18 year old with free reign of the car for a week each year. Somehow, no tickets and no real accidents

But, 911 is what I really wanted but my practical side meant I needed to wait until I could get the car I wanted without undue financial drama. Anyway, I ramble, but I finally got my 911. 2009 911s with 20,000 miles on the clock, clean PPI and just feels like a new car!

But, the tires are at 50% tread on fronts and I assume they are original so I had a question about tires. Yes, i have searched and I'm on page 50 of reading this forum to learn but i wanted to asked a focused question and see what I get.

I live in the Pacific NW and we are about to enter the rainy season so what tires would people recommend? I doubt I will see any track time except for maybe a driving class. I plan to use car for driving to work 2-3 days/week, use truck for really bad days, and will use for spirited driving trips to coast, no snow driving, occasional use with temps in 20s-30s in early trips to work. So, would you still recommend Michelin PSS or something else entirely.
Sorry for the long post but...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche beach sunset.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	429686  
Old 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Congrats! Beautiful car!

I haven't tried a tire (I've tried many) that I like as much as the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. These cars are sensitive when it comes to tires. I wouldn't recommend an all-season tire.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:34 PM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Welcome and congratulations on a very nice car. I like the Michelin Pilot SS on our 4S coupe. Good all around tire. Kind of hard to get your hands on them so order before you absolutely have to have them. Took a few weeks for mine to come in.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:32 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Congrats! Great color.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:53 PM
wbellinz is on a distinguished road
I had the OE Bridgestones and swapped to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS). I much prefer the MPSS. Great tire and decently priced as well.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:17 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Nice car - I love that color. Those probably are the original fronts unless the previous owner picked up a nail. I'm a Pilot Sport fan too - if you think it is going to be really cold, you could get a winter wheel set - http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9972C18WWS.html
FWIW, I just retired my last 6 year old front tire - I'm pretty sure Porsche says they are done after 4 years.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
congrats on that beauty.

re tires, michelin pilot super sports or michelin pilot sports - ps2.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
I also have MPSS on the car, they are great, I think superior to the PS2 it came originally with.
However at 20-30 degrees F, they become hard and run into "pucks"
I would recommend once you get into such low temps a winter set.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:01 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome and great car.

No experience with the Pacific NW but I like my MPSS's.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Thank you for all the responses. I think I will stick with a single set of MPSS and leave the car at home on the really cold days. I have a Ford f-150 that needs to be driven anyway so it will be the cold weather car (no heated seats or steering wheel like the 997 ). The math just doesn't add up to get a separate set of wheels/tires for those really ugly days.

Of course, that is assuming these do well in the moderate wet/drizzle we have most of the winter. Tire rack seems to give these tires pretty good wet ratings. Any opinions or first hand experience on these tires in this type of weather for 6 months? Oh, and moving to Southern California is not currently an option!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 PM
jeffkilly is on a distinguished road
The MPSS tires are amazing wet and dry. Just don't drive them at 40 degrees or colder. They are like marbles, zero traction in cold weather. And trust me, I did not believe all the posts about them getting hard at 40 degrees and below and I experienced it first hand on a turn where the car just would not hold. No skidding, just the weight of the car was controling its direction, rather than the steering direction. I now switch to winter tires early November thru April.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Jeffkilly,
I just was looking at the average low temps in Portland OR is mid-30s December through February and since I leave the house at 6 AM that puts me driving most am commutes in the sub-40 temp. range. What winter tire are you running and/or which ones should I research.
Thanks

Old 10-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Motams can only hope to improve
Congrats, I am 100% with you on fulfilling a childhood dream! I pet my cars' rear hips at night. Never had a car where I enjoyed looking at her as much as I do driving.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:09 PM
I got the Pirelli Scoto Zero winter tires and I am very happy with them.

Best of luck!

Jeff

Originally Posted by Ghostcow
Jeffkilly,
I just was looking at the average low temps in Portland OR is mid-30s December through February and since I leave the house at 6 AM that puts me driving most am commutes in the sub-40 temp. range. What winter tire are you running and/or which ones should I research.
Thanks

Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Oh, one more thing - Beautiful 911!!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hello, and a question