997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Opinions on four 997s for first-time buyer (in Canada)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:02 PM
MFT
MFT is on a distinguished road
Opinions on four 997s for first-time buyer (in Canada)

I've been keeping an eye on the 997 market for a couple of years, inquiring about interesting cars that catch my eye, but never pulling the trigger on anything. I've recently come across a few cars that seem to be potential good buys in my budget (up to +/- $80k CAD):

1. 997.1 (2008) Turbo, 6 spd, 47k km, $86k:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...&orup=24_15_84

2. 997.2 (2012) Carrera Black Edition, 6 spd, Sport Chrono Pkg Plus, 30k km, $80k, CPO:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...&orup=27_15_84

3. 997.2 (2011) C4S, 6 spd, 34k km, $82.5k:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...O&orup=6_15_11

4. 997.2 (2012) C4, 6 spd., Sport Chrono, 37k km, $79.8k:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...&orup=28_15_84

Any thoughts? I know the Turbo is the outlier, but it seems like a pretty good car for the money. I have not inquired specifically about any of them with the dealers. The 2012 Black Edition is obviously the most "basic" car of the three, but it is has CPO, which I do value. My feeling is the C4S is probably the best bang for the buck, assuming it is as described.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Motams can only hope to improve
You need to drive them, but my vote is Turbo or 4S. The Turbo doesn't have many options and has dated electronics. But it has the Mezger and its a 6MT which will become collectible.

The 4S is newer with a few more options than the Turbo. I personally like that the 4S is 6MT with Sport Chrono although it is not needed in a manual.

Both the the above options will be reliable, don't let warranty sway your decisions, unless it obviously gives you a added feeling of comfort. These cars are very reliable compared to cars of a similar price category or performance.

I would only advise CPO for PDK cars as you cannot repair them.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:25 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
id say its between the turbo and the c4s. but i would drive both of them and take it from there. personally i would go with the turbo.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:39 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I d go for the white one.... Had one black car in my life and they never look right unless you spends lots of time keeping the paint perfect. Like the turbo wheels on it too. I also think 6 speed is the way to go but lets not go down that road here, LOL. Don t need chrono on a 6 speed.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Eurotrs is on a distinguished road
That turbo looks great, anyone want to buy my 05 carrera s, so I can buy that turbo....

Old 12-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
I've owned 997C2S and currently drive 997.1TT with 6speed, when I was in the hunt I have list of cars I was interested in 997.2GTS, 997.1GT3, 997.2TT but I picked 997.1TT with adaptive seats, chrono, PCCB, MT because it is a special car and a pinnacle of 911 non GT production. The lines on the turbo is timeless, the torque is crazy addictive and it pull like no other cars on the road and best bang for the bucks. Easy choice here 997.1TT and never worry about depreciation from here on, plus MAY BE it become a future collector car (don't bet on it much yet).

Old 12-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
I just did some conversion $62k for the turbo with 29k miles, this is unbelievable. If this car listed in the US, it would be sold in one day. Let me advice you to bring down the ad before someone scoop it up before you.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:56 PM
MFT
MFT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cerbomark
I d go for the white one.... Had one black car in my life and they never look right unless you spends lots of time keeping the paint perfect. Like the turbo wheels on it too. I also think 6 speed is the way to go but lets not go down that road here, LOL. Don t need chrono on a 6 speed.
Yeah, Black is one of my last choices for colour because I'm rather **** about keeping the car clean - black is only ever clean for the first 5 minutes after you finish washing it.

Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
I've owned 997C2S and currently drive 997.1TT with 6speed, when I was in the hunt I have list of cars I was interested in 997.2GTS, 997.1GT3, 997.2TT but I picked 997.1TT with adaptive seats, chrono, PCCB, MT because it is a special car and a pinnacle of 911 non GT production. The lines on the turbo is timeless, the torque is crazy addictive and it pull like no other cars on the road and best bang for the bucks. Easy choice here 997.1TT and never worry about depreciation from here on, plus MAY BE it become a future collector car (don't bet on it much yet).
This is a good point actually. Over the couple of years I've been watching the market it really does not seem like the prices have gone down at all.

Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
I just did some conversion $62k for the turbo with 29k miles, this is unbelievable. If this car listed in the US, it would be sold in one day. Let me advice you to bring down the ad before someone scoop it up before you.
Yeah, it's definitely a good price. But, the thing that worries me is that it has been on the market for 6+ weeks. I know it's not the best time of year to sell a sports car, but it still seems a bit suspicious.

Originally Posted by Motams
You need to drive them, but my vote is Turbo or 4S. The Turbo doesn't have many options and has dated electronics. But it has the Mezger and its a 6MT which will become collectible.

The 4S is newer with a few more options than the Turbo. I personally like that the 4S is 6MT with Sport Chrono although it is not needed in a manual.

Both the the above options will be reliable, don't let warranty sway your decisions, unless it obviously gives you a added feeling of comfort. These cars are very reliable compared to cars of a similar price category or performance.

I would only advise CPO for PDK cars as you cannot repair them.
I agree that the Turbo is a bit outdated, but it seems fairly depreciation-proof at this point. With respect to the warranty, I am two hours away from the nearest Porsche dealer, so it'd be a pain to use it anyway.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:26 PM
SE3P is on a distinguished road
As others have said, the 997.1TT and the 997.2C4S are the ones to look at out of these 4. It really depends what kind of driving you want to do. If you want an effortless rush of power and you mostly do highway driving, then perhaps the TT. If you want something a bit more emotional and frequent tighter windy roads, the C4S will probably do the trick because of the sound and revving it out to 7k+.

Also, interior on the 997.2 is newer and more refined but that may not be important for you - the seats are pretty much the same, though. I will echo others and say that white is much easier to take care of but black looks the best after a good detailing. Since these aren't CPO, you need to have the DME read and check for over-revs as well as a PPI if you're serious.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I also agree that the turbo and the C4S are the cars that you should really consider. As mentioned above, the radio and nav system in the 997.1 are out of date, but they are in the 997.2 also. The 997.2 gives you a touch screen and a hard drive for music storage. An aftermarket system like a Mobridge M2 Pro will add bluetooth audio streaming and telephone connectivity to the 997.1. Aside from that, there aren't many differences in the interior. The 997.2 has black plastic instead of gray plastic on the center stack. It also has an updated steering wheel and the option for ventilated seats. The turbo does have adaptive sport seats, which are very desirable.

I think you should try to drive both cars. The character of the cars is very different. Either one would be a good choice.

Last edited by Dennis C; 12-25-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:05 AM
gonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the rough
all those cars are totally different. you need to drive them. only you know what you want.

is a none-S good for you? will it have enough power for you?
will a S be enough?
if not, then you will need a turbo. (careful, apparently the turbos are a drug and you can't get cured...)

same for the 4.
do you like the drive of a 4 or you prefer a 2?

personally I didn't like the none-S. not enough power for me.
tried a C2S, perfect!

what will it be for you? we don't know, only you know!
one thing for sure, ALL 911 are awesome cars!

Old 02-24-2017, 04:27 PM
pak6698 is an unknown quantity at this point
It looks like you are in the Toronto area. I just recently purchased my first Porsche this past December.
Pfaff Porsche in Woodbridge is where I purchased mine. The salesman name was Mark Basili. He is a young guy, drives a Porsche himself and is extremely tuned into the Porsche brand. If the car Pfaff has advertised is not the one, I am sure he could find you one of your liking.
I purchased an '08 C$S Cab 6 speed. It is down here in Florida with me right now. I don't think I have had the roof up more than a couple of time since December!
If you do call Pfaff, tell Mark Paul Knight referred you to him.
I know you will enjoy which ever car suits YOUR needs. Only you can make that decision. I am enjoying mine and I am sure you will enjoy yours.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 PM
vern1 is on a distinguished road
Pak, buddy, that thread is well over a year old but good promo for pfaff!

Old 02-25-2017, 08:46 PM
JF22 is a jewel in the roughJF22 is a jewel in the roughJF22 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Eurotrs
That turbo looks great, anyone want to buy my 05 carrera s, so I can buy that turbo....

I bought that turbo in january 2016 fantastic car

Last edited by JF22; 02-25-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:24 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Whoo-Hoo! Smart choice IMHO.

Great looking car, well done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on four 997s for first-time buyer (in Canada)