997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

'08 or '09 S. Is DFI worth it? Or just go turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:08 PM
viceclicking is on a distinguished road
'08 or '09 S. Is DFI worth it? Or just go turbo?

Question. I've always wanted a turbo but don't want a 996. The power with the turbo isn't the real attractant it's the side vents But retro-ing them onto a lower model is blasphemous. Saw one this weekend. Ugh.

I'm going convertible no matter what the decision. I've driven a number of base 996s and turbo 996s, never driven an S of any variety or a 997 yet though. The 996 turbo drive is a nice one although not as compelling as I would imagine. Maybe the 997 is different?

I'm settling price point wise on an '08 or '09 S however the price difference is substantial between the two years (in Canada at least). Is the standard recommendation I save my pennies and get an '08 or '09 turbo like I 'really' want, go with the '09 S, or it won't really matter and go for the '08 S? I guess the other option is a newer base.

So torn. I've read a ton on this topic in this forum and understand the difference DFI gives (I think)...but I still wanted to ask this specific question.

With the CDN dollar I need to grab one now I think before all the americans buy our cars up

Advice?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:14 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think that you have to ask yourself a few more questions about your preferences. Do you want an automatic transmission? If so, then you should really consider a car with PDK as opposed to Tiptronic. That is 2009 for normally aspirated cars and 2010 for turbos. How important is touch screen navigation to you? The navigation system was improved in the 2009 cars to include a touch screen and a hard drive for music. Both systems are now out-dated, but the PCM 3.0 unit in the newer cars is a bit more modern. Do you want an AWD car? The turbo is AWD, and the driving dynamics are different from a C2S. How important are LED tail lights to you? If they are a "must have" item, then get a 997.2.

If I were you, I would hold out for a turbo. They are special cars. The 2009 turbo is a bit of a "tweener". It is a 997.1, but it has the minor 997.2 interior upgrades and the option for center lock wheels.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:26 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
I had this question recently and ended up purchasing an 09 S PDK with only 14k on the clock. Ended up spending much more than I planned on initially (started out looking at early 997.1 cars) but decided the upgrades of the 997.2, and mainly the new DFI 9A1 engine were worth it. Turbo was overkill for me to piddle around town in. I love the car. A 997.1 does leave much more room for upgrades though as far as budget is concerned. I looked at 991 cars as well but found them to be a bit boring compared to the 997.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Great feedback, thanks guys! I've never owned anything but a manual, however I know enough people that have and RAVE about PDK that I'm open to it. I will try a PDK car ('09 S) out on Saturday and see how that feels. I'll admit that a turbo does seem like it might be 'too much' for my use...with the main result being more tickets and/or a higher chance of killing myself

Now I just need to find a good white (guess I could wrap if another colour) '09 S (don't want 4S..save the weight and more trunk space) with heated seats, nav (ideally but not a make or break, I have a phone), sport chrono, PASM, a not gross interior/roof colour, and in good condition for my budget. Easy! If I can't accumulate the will or funds fast enough to get a turbo by the time I find an S, I get that then upgrade later. Both are stretching but I can afford both...the kicker for me right now was a story I was telling a friend the other day where I said "Well, if I found out I had a year to live, I'd go buy a turbo tomorrow...cash...". So why not do that now so I can enjoy it right?

Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 PM
TheLex is on a distinguished road
Do you like the widebody of the turbo? If so, consider the GTS which in either 2 or AWD has the widebody. It also has a bit more power than a "standard" Carrera S if that matters.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by TheLex
Do you like the widebody of the turbo? If so, consider the GTS which in either 2 or AWD has the widebody. It also has a bit more power than a "standard" Carrera S if that matters.
Yeah, the wide-body and the vent slats are the attractive features of the turbo. Unfortunately the GTS is extremely uncommon in the used market here....and alas I don't have the budget for a new one.

Last edited by viceclicking; 01-19-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 PM
You've got me interested now TheLex! Thanks for broadening my options

Last edited by viceclicking; 01-19-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:21 PM
This would be a compelling alternative to an equivalently priced '08/'09 turbo.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...PO&orup=3_15_3

Old 01-19-2016, 11:43 PM
TheLex is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by viceclicking
This would be a compelling alternative to an equivalently priced '08/'09 turbo.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...PO&orup=3_15_3
Is the $99k in USD or CAD? If in CAD that equivalent to about $66k USD right now, which would be a steal for a 2012 GTS 4. And it still has the CPO warranty.

Looks like a sweet ride!

Old 01-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by TheLex
Is the $99k in USD or CAD? If in CAD that equivalent to about $66k USD right now, which would be a steal for a 2012 GTS 4. And it still has the CPO warranty.

Looks like a sweet ride!
Yeah, about $68k US, but that's before import duty and taxes etc.

If I'm going into the $90s I'd rather get an '08/'09 turbo I think...better looking, more power.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:53 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Good luck with the search.... Think you d be happy with an 09S. I am.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
TO ME, the 997 variant is the nicest looking since the 993's. Not having owned a 996 I cannot comment but as stated the 997 version offers a ton of mod options and would be a great platform to start with. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:24 PM
megachimp is on a distinguished road
recently went through a similar process. My criteria:

-Automatic (I daily drive my cars. My last 6-speed Cayman just got to be too much of a pain in the traffic)
-Lower mileage.

My criteria basically ruled out a 997.1 car and honestly, for me, the updates to the 997.2 are well worth the premium. PKD is amazing, especially when you replace the crap stock steering wheel with the sport design paddle shift one.

I wasn't sold on a 4S vs 2S either way, but must admit the wide body of the 4S was pretty enticing. I found a couple 2S cars I liked, but then found the sickest C4S for a great price. It checked all my boxes and even came with the Gt2 carbon fiber seats.

You are correct in saying that the 4S weighs more and has a slightly smaller frunk, but the 4wheel drive will make it faster around many a track. the 0-60 times are identical. Many a reviewer prefer the 4S over the 2S.

Anyway, get what you want, but don't discount the 4S. They are freek'n awesome.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:27 PM
megachimp is on a distinguished road
I mean, how do you say no to an a$$ like this?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:42 PM
It's true, I do like the wider *** of the 4S. More expensive car 'typically' though and with my convertible requirement it stretches it that much more.

I guess the smaller frunk doesn't matter TOO much since one can get some luggage in the back seats...I have a 2 seater with no back seats right now and am used to having to deal with only a trunk, PITA sometimes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '08 or '09 S. Is DFI worth it? Or just go turbo?