997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Changed rims and now have fault say wheel change ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 PM
MJRizzo is on a distinguished road
Changed rims and now have fault say wheel change ?

Hello I have a 2008 targa 4s . I changed my rims and a few minutes after I drove off the message popped up saying wheel change ? Input new tpc settings. Usually I know you would just use the lever on the left side of wheel and go through menu and set it. The problem is that there is nothing past that warning, the menu is gone. I called Porsche and they said swing by and we will reset it real quick . Not so lucky. They told me I have to set up an appointment so they can go through system to see if there's an electrical issue cause it looks like someone deleted the menu for tire pressure and the only reason it came up warning now was because when I changed the rims it triggered the system to put out code. My only question was to them and to anyone else who can help is when I picked up car from the bmw dealer where I purchased it they put new front tires on for me and system worked fine . I feel like that puts the guy at Porsches idea out the window . Could the gut who installed the new rims have done anything? How can changing rims make menu options go away? Any help would be great.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:00 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure the guy that installer the tires on the new r8ms transferred the TPMS sensors from the old wheels to the new ones? Are the wheels you bought the same diameter and did you change tire sizes or just move the previous tires over to the new wheels? If you changed tire sizes did you keep the rolling circumference the same and the relationship between the fronts and the rears?

Old 10-29-2016, 07:24 AM
I'm actually at tire place now making him take off rear tires to take a look and some pictures just so I can show Porsche when it goes in . The only size difference is the rear rims are 11 wide instead of 11.5 from sport rim. I just find it nuts that it could be a coincidence that day my rims are changed the menu is gone to set wheels. Thanks for response

Old 10-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Curious what you find. Did the new wheels have hard metal valve stems in them. They're required for TPMS sensors and that might be a clue as to whether they reinstalled them or not. A 1/2" of rim difference with the same size tire shouldn't make enough difference to matter.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Yes they used all original oneside from old rims and one had to be changed. The went and bought one from bmw dealer across the way. He's looking at last tire now and then I'll take it for a ride to see if menu comes back. I made him put extra air in rear tires to see if that will trip something. I hate these issues that are very rarely seen . Even Porsche seemed clueless .

Old 10-29-2016, 09:46 AM
No luck. All the sensors are intact and everything looked good. Drove car for about 30 minutes with message still the same . I try to push lever forward when it says wheel change and just goes back to info screen . There's no menu there to see tires or pressure. It's crazy ,no issue before I changed rims .

Old 10-29-2016, 08:19 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MJRizzo
Yes they used all original oneside from old rims and one had to be changed. The went and bought one from bmw dealer across the way. He's looking at last tire now and then I'll take it for a ride to see if menu comes back. I made him put extra air in rear tires to see if that will trip something. I hate these issues that are very rarely seen . Even Porsche seemed clueless .
What was bought from the BMW dealer - valve stem, TPM sensor, both? BMW dealer carries Porsche-specific items?

Old 10-29-2016, 08:21 PM
With TPMS sensors, the only thing that matters is the frequency on which they transmit. As long as it's the correct frequency, it doesn't matter the brand or whether they're the cheap generics.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:23 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Petza914
With TPMS sensors, the only thing that matters is the frequency on which they transmit. As long as it's the correct frequency, it doesn't matter the brand or whether they're the cheap generics.
Porsche has multiple part numbers for sensors with the same frequency - when I've ordered before I always get asked for my VIN so I get the correct ones.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:31 PM
It was just the stem that was changed. The guy at Porsche just made me nervous when he said that someone had to erase the menu from car . He said maybe car had electrical issue and maybe previous owner had someone erase menu so no faults would pop up. Just don't make sense to me . Car was under warranty, why wouldn't previous owner just take care of it the right way . Hope this dealer knows his stuff. Thanks for thoughts .

Old 10-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Also I forgot to mention now when I sometimes change radio the station will change but not on screen itself . Not a great start to this new to me 997..

Old 02-24-2017, 12:46 AM
adi18 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm experiencing the exact same scenario that you describe. Swapped sensors from stock rims into aftermarket HREs of same diameter but slightly wider rims. Tire pressures show up fine, but I get these prompts to enter new settings. Have gone through every possible option in onboard computer and nothing regarding setting TPC wheel size. I'm only able to select "summer or winter". The tire pressures display fine, but I have these stupid warning lights and "change wheels? Input tpc settings" prompt. Super frustrating.
How did you resolve? Thx!

Old 03-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Targa4sg550 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same happen on my lobsters. The tpms were nearing end of life. Got some new sensors put in and solved the tire change problem for me.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:17 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Check in the PCM. There is a setting in there for changing to winter or summer rims and it may need updating. Check owners manual.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Are each of the sensors in the exact same position as before? There is an antenna/receiver near each wheel and if the previously right front sensor, for example, is now at the left front or on a rear wheel, the car may assume you have new sensors. Each sensor gets introduced/registered with a different receiver. The car should ask if you have 18" or 19" wheels, summer or winter tires, full or partial load.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.