American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

new gt500 suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:27 PM
richtor is on a distinguished road
pulled this thread back up since i have new info on this gt500. lap times at vir!

The car will now keep up with a stock C6Z06... this car weights near 4000lbs, but it does have an upgraded supercharger making 600ish rwhp. Remember the Corvette has SLA from the factory, less weight, and a superior chassis. All the stuff the Griggs kit gives to the mustang the Z06 has from the get go. Full Griggs GT500s run 2:06s at VIRs full course which is fast and right in line with what stock C6Zs run. The T1 record with a C5Z T1 car making 380ish rwhp is 2:04.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:45 PM
i guess 206 vir full course run in a 4k lb car is not impressive?

Old 03-17-2008, 11:48 PM
dkp993 is on a distinguished road
I'm impressed richtor. Keep the info coming!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:59 AM
dont have a lot to add, though there were some numbers and stories about that gt500 and or the griggs suspension from a new thread on svtp.

Originally Posted by 98 Saleen Cobra
That setup there pulls 1.5gs and peaked at 1.7gs without breaking loose!!
i am not sure if these numbers are from the gt500 or the griggs mustang gt, which does have better weight and balance numbers. regardless these numbers are on road race tires. r compounds if not slicks.

Originally Posted by cobra4b
1. The car is built at Performance Autosport which is 2 hours north of me and one of their main mechanics/tuners is a good track buddy of mine Kevin Adolf.
2. The entire kit costs upwards of $20,000+ but that's what it takes to completely re-engineer a car's suspesnion. The change from a macpherson strut front to a SLA w/ coil overs is drastic.
3. The car will now keep up with a stock C6Z06... this car weights near 4000lbs, but it does have an upgraded supercharger making 600ish rwhp. Remember the Corvette has SLA from the factory, less weight, and a superior chassis. All the stuff the Griggs kit gives to the mustang the Z06 has from the get go. Full Griggs GT500s run 2:06s at VIRs full course which is fast and right in line with what stock C6Zs run. The T1 record with a C5Z T1 car making 380ish rwhp is 2:04.
4. The wheels are incredible... they are a proper 3-part racing wheel.
5. Kevin (who ironically hates mustangs) says it's one of the best handling cars he's ever driven which says alot. He races a Sentra SE-R and is an HPDE instructor in his spare time.
6. A properly setup solid axle can handle very well... the Griggs kit uses a watt's link to locate the axle in the same manner my Panoz race car does. The Panoz usues a Ford 9" w/ 2 trailing arms per side and the watt's link. It handles awesome, just as good if not better than my Z06.

Originally Posted by cobra4b
Not from what I've seen on track... the C6Z w/ some tires and better brake pads is still the faster car. It's a damn close race and really comes down to driver in the end. The Cobra's problem, as it's always been, is it's massive weight. I was baffled with the owner of the blue car bought it specifically to be his "VIR Car". He then put a glass roof in it that added more weight in the worst location possible.
The Cobra eats tires/brakes far faster than the Corvette and the blower suffers from heat soak after a few laps so the power levels fall drastically.
It will be intersting to see how the new ZR-1 performs on track, but it has a revised 4th gen blower, a crazy cooling system, and a very advanced dry sump oiling system with 13 quart capacity and piston oil squirters.
They're nice cars, but at the end of the day there are better tools for the job than a prepped GT-500 or new mustang. I'd rather have PAS's Griggs'd Foxbody. That car is 2900lbs and runs 2:10's at VIR w/ 187 rwhp... now that's something
as he says a lightly modded c6 z would still probably give better lap times, but there is no doubt what the griggs suspension does for the gt500/mustang. just look at the last sentence, 29900lb car running 210 w/ less than 200rwhp? thats impressive. one more qoute about most good c6 z drivers...
Originally Posted by BlackStripes
I'd love to see that. I've seen a couple of GT500's in VIR and usually they are in HPDE1/2... hard to see them running hard.
I haven't seen any stock C6Z running under 2:10 or 2:12 for that matter.... well, if stock = stock tires.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 PM
a couple of vids with the new mustang on track....

a full griggs mustang gt with blower passing a c6 z at laguna seca.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WPC899mdkF8
Originally Posted by GR-40 Pat
The GR40TT does start out life as a GT, the Demo car in the video has approx. 550HP and 460TQ. I can't provide a weight but considering the weight removed due to suspension and also considering the weight added by the blower and intercooler, I would guess it is around the stock weight maybe slightly lower.
a mostly stock gt500(tune, wheels, tires) on track with a c6 z at road america.
http://www.trackdawgz.com/Videos/Shelby%20outing%20II%20AKA%20Damian's%20Ride.wmv

Last edited by richtor; 03-18-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
Sweet car...very cool

Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by richtor
and the stance....

If you want to see even more photos of the build up please go here: http://www.performanceautosport.com/detail.asp?car=5971
Thanks for looking.

DAMN! that Looks fantastic, beatiful & MEAN!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Romancer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vicious
Thanks for the info.
You can buy a glass-roof Mustang from Ford now.

It's an option on this year's Mustang GT. Not an option on the Cobra. Not sure if they ever plan to.

I've been looking into this kit for a while.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Poisoned Pony is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
I stand corrected. This GT500 DOES NOT have a metalcrafters scenic roof. This one is different. Saleen panel is glass from edge to edge. This GT500 has plastic covering the edges.

the GT500 has the Classic Design Concepts one. It's cheaper, but there are a few drawbacks. the plastic trim is one of them, the other is that it's too flat compared to the natural curve of the roof. Saleen/Metalcrafters roof is a much better quality IMO

Old 04-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Nefarious7907 is on a distinguished road
Wow modern suspension on a mustang, ford take notes