Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How many of you are running with fuse 22 pulled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 AM
plessdude is on a distinguished road
How many of you are running with fuse 22 pulled?

Like the title says, how many of you are running with fuse 22 pulled on your Vantage. I am wondering if there are any long term issues with doing this. I have read on AMOC that this can lead to a fuel mixture issue but I have not seen a definitive answer for or against doing it.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I have not read anything long term - thinking no one has kept it pulled for that long. The other easy "fix" is disconnect the vacuum tubes running to the switch valve (actually on the exhaust - you can see them under the car) and leave fuse 22 connected. You will not get the mixture issue, you may loose a little low end torque - but the sound is open at all RPMs like it was above 4500 RPM when connected. The switch is open and the vacuum closes it - kinda backwords logic - unless you design it this way for a reason !!!
I did this "disconnect" thing for awhile (12 months) - then went w/ RSC mods including a Quicksilver exhaust. You will find Quicksilver/Tubi/Gruppe B do not have a vacuum connection on their exhausts for AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 AM
AND I forget to say what a weight difference ... you could hold a Battleship in harbor w/ a stock exhaust ... the aftermarket units are much lighter ... and that weight is all hanging out past the rear axle.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Thank for the info Mike. I will look into disconnecting the vacuum tubes. I am trying to hold out on doing any mods. I have only had the car for 3 weeks so I am in the let's disconnect fuse 22 stage of Vantage ownership. I am sure by the spring RSC's website will be my homepage.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 AM
I certainly understand the "new ownership" - took me awhile too. I had a 2003 996tt - by the time I sold that - well I still get Holiday cards from my mechanic !!!
I hope I gave you enough info - really is something you can do yourself. Just pull from right off the exhaust. I do not want to get anyone in trouble so let's say this info would not cause a warrenty issue ...

Old 08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
DynamicMotoring is on a distinguished road
Pulling the fuse works, but you will be more than pleased with an aftermarket exhaust. Many guys gawk at the prices of exhausts these days, but when its on, they dont understand why they had any hesitation.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
Pulling the fuse works, but you will be more than pleased with an aftermarket exhaust. Many guys gawk at the prices of exhausts these days, but when its on, they dont understand why they had any hesitation.
I completely agree. Pulling the fuse can lead to seizing of the solenoids in the muffler - it also causes the car to run rich on the lower rpm spectrum which isnt that bad but isnt good either.

That said, there are so many great mufflers available for this car from GruppeM to Tubi to larini to quicksilver, all of them sound great and can make your car sound like a british spitfire to something as exotic as a screaming italian.

Fuse22 is a very inelegant solution in my opinion.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Sh$t...the temptation is creeping in. Hypothetically speaking, if one were to cave in and go for a new exhaust, which one enhances the natural sound of the car. I don't really want to change the sound, I just want to hear it at lower rpm's much like the pulled fuse option.

How is AM's warranty policy on exhausts. I don't have a relationship with the dealer since I bought the car from a place that just sold the dealership to an out of town company. Would I need to swap out for the stock when I take her in for warranty work?

After all the 911 mods I promised myself I would keep this car stock. Three weeks. Three weeks I lasted. I guess thats progress.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
plessdude: All depends on the dealer. Have your dealer install it, they should not charge you more than a couple of hundred dollars (2-3 hours labour). It also helps to buy the part through them, they will usually honor warranty on parts they install and extend you the courtesy

Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 AM
DynamicMotoring is on a distinguished road
Quicksilver and Tubi are both great sounding exhausts, and they dont really change the sound of the car. Im still really curious to hear a Gruppe M, maybe you could be the first to try one out. Im sure Im not the only person wanting to hear it!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:56 PM
BIGAL is on a distinguished road
Not sure on the long term effect as I had mines for less then a year, but it definately works for the time being vs forking $$ for an exhaust system..

Old 08-25-2008, 12:05 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
I did it (pulled #22) for a short while and it resulted in a noticeable reduction in power and drivability. You shouldn't do it IMHO.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:40 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
I'm no expert but before I bought my 997C2S, I almost bought an AMV8 and I had a talk with the dealership Aston Martin of Atlanta and they said instead of pulling the fuse, they put a little beebee (sp?) pellet into one of the tubes. Sorry this is so vague, but they were going to do it for me.

He said that it doesn't void the warranty, and that they do it all the time for their customers there. Again, not an expert, but I noticed no one mentioned it here so I thought I'd throw it out there. Ha, in fact that was the first thing I had planned on doing had I bought the car (they were going to do it for me) and he said there is a noticeable difference. Pulling the fuse, eh, not so much, he didn't recommend that.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
the dealer pulled the fuse while the car was on the lot they said they sell more since it sounds alot nicer ...i left it off since day one

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
I have not read anything long term - thinking no one has kept it pulled for that long. The other easy "fix" is disconnect the vacuum tubes running to the switch valve (actually on the exhaust - you can see them under the car) and leave fuse 22 connected. You will not get the mixture issue, you may loose a little low end torque - but the sound is open at all RPMs like it was above 4500 RPM when connected. The switch is open and the vacuum closes it - kinda backwords logic - unless you design it this way for a reason !!!
I did this "disconnect" thing for awhile (12 months) - then went w/ RSC mods including a Quicksilver exhaust. You will find Quicksilver/Tubi/Gruppe B do not have a vacuum connection on their exhausts for AM.
Can you provide specifics on how to disconnect the vacuum lines? If I put my car on a lift is it self explanatory?

Thanks,
Adam

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many of you are running with fuse 22 pulled?