Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How far can you drive a brand new car nonstop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
How far can you drive a brand new car nonstop?

If you live far from the dealer/or bought it online, is it Ok to drive it for 500 miles non stop? At what speed? ; } Or is this not a good idea because the engine is not broken in? Maybe this is no longer true for modern car?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 PM
noladb9 is on a distinguished road
You can drive until you run out of gas. I bought a new DB9 from a dealer in Houston and drove it back to New Orleans - roughly 350 miles - and there were no issues at all. The only thing you need to be careful about is not staying the same speed for long periods of time. The worst thing you can do is get on the interstate and set the cruise control and ride the entire way at the same speed / in one gear. All that means is you need to take every opportunity you can to punch it a little here and there. I was worried about the same thing you are, but there's no break-in period for the engine or anything...my dealer's recommendation was to drive the car like it's meant to be driven and not to baby it. I had no issues with complying.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, good advise, no cruise control it is.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
My understanding is that the engines arrive 'pre-broken in' but even if they weren't, the break in procedure for an engine once you've seated the rings is just to drive normally. IE - don't spank it really hard, but as previously mentioned in this thread, don't sit at constant RPMs because (assuming an engine isn't broken in) it will 'glaze' the bores of the engine and the rings won't seat properly.

So all in all, just drive normally, enjoy the car, don't thrash it, but don't baby it either!