Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Installed New Pedal for Heel Toe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Just a quick update. Spoke to Robert at Ultimate.

I requested a quote for just the heel/toe gas pedal, ~$90 + shipping.

The prices for the manual pedal set on the website apparently is just for the gas pedal not the entire 3-pc set.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
[Resurrecting an old thread mostly for a short product review and also to make new members aware of this.]

Just got my Ultimate Pedal the other day. Very happy with it.

The problem:

I don't have particularly wide feet, and heel/toe shifting in the Vantage was extremely difficult (and uncomfortable to even get close to performing well). In this picture, the edge of my foot is firmly on the brake pedal; if I positioned my foot any further towards the accelerator, I'd have considerably less stability and leverage over the brake pedal (which is exactly what you don't want to happen when you're entering a corner). The consequence was that I'd either worry about slipping off the brake, or I wouldn't be able to appropriately rev match.

I was skeptical that 0.5" would make enough of a difference for me, but Ultimate Pedals responded to my email inquiries with an exact-size template that I was able to cut out, transfer to cardboard, and try out. After taping the cardboard cutout to my stock pedal, I felt comfortable enough to try out the standard Ultimate Pedals, rather than having them machine a slightly wider one.

Beautiful craftsmanship.

Some assembly required.

The back (showing the previously highlighted difference in how they seat). From replies to this thread, I picked up some garage door weatherstripping and will cut it to fill in the void in the pedal seat.

Much better. Note: the only tool required for installation is a Torx T25 driver.

I'm going to try it out for a bit to make sure I'm happy with it. Once I'm sure, I'll have it anodized black to match the other pedals. (Note that my pedals are black because the car is an N430/GT... standard cars have silver pedals.)

So far, I'd recommend these to anybody who finds heel/toe shifting in an Aston Martin to be more difficult than it should be. (Not kidding, it's easier to do in my Honda CR-Z.)

Last edited by Mathman85; 01-16-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:21 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I found this thread after I bought my V8 but before Intercity dropped it off, and from the test drives I just couldn't get the position right to heel toe the pedals, so I ordered one. Nice pedal. After I got the car it only took a couple days before I got the hang of the heel angle. I installed the new pedal anyway because I did pay for it, but it's too wide, I'm going to go back to the stock pedal. The replacement is so wide you catch it by mistake when just hitting the brake alone.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
The replacement is so wide you catch it by mistake when just hitting the brake alone.
I experienced a little of the same, but I figure it'll be easier for me to adapt to that issue than to adapt to the distance between the stock pedals. Time will tell, of course.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:23 PM
sierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nice
I installed one of these as well, this pedal and some shoes with a low profile heel make a big difference.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Teekster is on a distinguished road
I installed this pedal after finding this thread a couple of years ago. It is better, but I think the laggy throttle response hampers the ease of heel-toeing. It is much easier in my other cars, especially my 911.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Teekster
I installed this pedal after finding this thread a couple of years ago. It is better, but I think the laggy throttle response hampers the ease of heel-toeing. It is much easier in my other cars, especially my 911.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. You have to blip the throttle much earlier than you should in order to give the engine time to catch up.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:01 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I just can't do heel toe very well on this car but for me it isn't the size or location of the pedals. It's because the throttle response is just so sluggish!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Yes nice piece but unless you pair it with a computer flash to speed up the "slower than a wet weekend" throttle response I dont see the need for it .
My 60s era Healeys have faster throttle response than the Vantage.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 AM
gahbouch is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to resurrect this thread again, I just order an ultimate pedal for my DBS. I was hoping one of you gents would know the thickness of the rubber pad on the back of the pedal is.
I want to do it right and have a polyurethane one made before my pedal arrives so that I can assemble without wasting time

Old 05-19-2017, 11:49 AM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redpants
I agree wholeheartedly with this. You have to blip the throttle much earlier than you should in order to give the engine time to catch up.
This - after a clutch swap?

x-chr

Old 05-19-2017, 11:57 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
The lightweight clutch makes the throttle response a little better, but no where near what I'd want.

You need nothing for the pedal but to unscrew the original and screw on the replacement.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:06 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
The lightweight clutch makes the throttle response a little better, but no where near what I'd want.

You need nothing for the pedal but to unscrew the original and screw on the replacement.
Do you think the clutch is worth the money unless needed. The only reason I would swap mine now, is to try to fix the throttle response for heel and toe track use.

x-chr

Old 05-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Possibly with the tune which is supposed to help throttle response. On it's own just the clutch does not fix the lagging response, just makes it a little better. But it's real benefit is it will spool up and down faster which would be it's best plus on track IMO. It is quicker.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Is there a tune just to improve the throttle response? Or is that part of a larger overall tune? Would a car without a lightweight flywheel benefit from the tune? If the lightweight flywheel isn't the solution and a tune is needed then seems the coding/parameters in the ECU are the issue.

David

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed New Pedal for Heel Toe